Never again... but not really...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by headcronie, Mar 13, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

My last utterance about Apple, and my wife's iPhone. Never again...

Sorry, this is my rant. I've got to let off steam... This is no way a reflection of my relationship with my wife. Only my strained relationship with Apple. :)

It was not meant to last evidently. Because, here we are, iPhone again.

I spent nearly 4 hours of my life, working on getting her device setup last night. 4 hours of gnashing my teeth, trying in vain to get her device up and running.

Verizon's new shtick - We give you a double sided instruction sheet on how to migrate to your new device. Every step past step 1, is INCORRECT! Every menu option they tell you to find, is not where they say it is. Verizon no longer assists you in moving to your new iPhone. They give you the sheet, make sure you can make calls, and send you on your way.

She's got the 8+. The thing is painfully slow, out of the box. With no way to know what the device is doing, I could only guess that wifi was suspect. I downloaded and installed Speedtest.net. I was appalled at the results. I don't run a pro-anything environment. Meaning, my environment does not favor one OS or vendor over the other. That does not mean that I do not favor one OS or vendor over the other. Those are two separate things. Her new iPhone could barely muster 70mbit down, and that was with wild fluctuation. Never got faster than this speed. Upload was pathetic. 1mbit. 7mbit, .5mbit. I've got AC wireless. I connected her iPhone to my 5ghz band. My computers, and my Note8, also connect to this same band. I have no overlap with my neighbors. My phone pulled 114mbit down, 12mbit up, repeatedly. So did my computer. Nothing else was running when her iPhone was doing its test. I ran it against Verizon as well, and the results paled in comparison to what my Note 8 did on Sprint. I've no idea what the normal speed for either carrier is, I only know what I saw.

Trying to add her Google accounts to the mail app? Key in the email address, and wait minutes, yes minutes, for the next screen to load. Just to make sure that there wasn't some sort of service disruption, I pulled up my old Note 5, and configured it for her. I entered her Google account to add it there, and it flew through the account setup process. Meanwhile, the iPhone finally got to the enter password screen.

What is up with Apple's backup and restore option? Honestly - You go to one place to turn on iCloud backup, and make a backup. Hey, let's be all stupid, and make the user go someplace else, to restore instead of grouping backup and restore in the same convenient location. Let's not provide way to selectively restore either. It just drops all the crap with no way to adjust. If you tell me I have to go to a computer to adjust this, you've just lost your case that it is 'easy'.

My wife asked me about getting the Google Pixel while she was at the store, and I was inconveniently in the staff bathroom at work. I couldn't tell her much of anything either way at that moment. It was either the Pixel, or an iPhone as a choice. (Work provides her with a phone, and plan, which I am thankful for.) She was overwhelmed and intimidated by it at the store, and ultimately chose a device that works best for her.

This is why men die younger. I just had Apple suck years of my life out of my body. :)

[​IMG]

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My wife didn't seem to be having any problems with her iPhone 6s (Sprint), but I encouraged her to get the battery replaced. She had time yesterday, so went to the Sprint store and walked out happy for just over $30 (with tax).

I have the iPhone 6s on Verizon through work. I use it primarily for conference calls and tethering when I'm out and about. It's a great phone, for being a phone. :)

I don't typically connect via carrier service, since I do most of my work from home. When I do connect, I'm not terribly concerned about speeds so don't pay much attention. That said, I am noticing an issue with my Comcast account. They recently notified me of a free upgrade to 'Speeds up to 150Mbps.' Quite frankly, I'd be happy with much less than that, and I had been getting over 100Mbps prior to the "upgrade." Well, I'm getting less than 80Mbps. Comcast apparently can't fix this without sending a technician, so one will be here tomorrow. I've gone through this stupidity before. The tech arrives and starts swapping out my modem. Um....it's my modem, not a rental, it's the current model, and it's the VoIP model. There's nothing wrong with the wiring...nothing wrong with the modem. The problem, I believe, lies in their mysterious "provisioning" procedures. What the hell is "provisioning," anyway? Seriously. Can't network engineers coin words to describe something instead of co-opting language that means something else? Are they really supplying my modem with food? :p In computing, while the word is used in multiple contexts, it's just a big word that means little more than set up and/or configure.

iPhone 6s and Nexus 6 Speedtest download results are 28 Mbps (Verizon) and 8 Mbps (ouch...Sprint!) respectively, and on WiFi, 72 Mbps and 60 Mbps respectively (5GHz, Ch 149).

3. headcronie

Maybe her device has some corrupted configuration that it sucked up during the restore process. The entire backup / restore process is so horrific, there is little way of trying to separate out what might be causing the issue. If she complains that the device is slow, maybe we'll just factory reset the device, and build it from scratch. That way we won't suck down any crap settings. But that won't happen for a few weeks. She'll soon be off to her next doctorate class and be out of state for a stretch. I'd rather she have everything running, even if slow, for now. Last thing I want to do is try to remotely support that thing. *feels another year being sucked away by Apple* Argh!

4. jigwashere

Ah, man! You need a hug. :newpalm:

5. headcronie

I'd say I need a stiff drink, but one good stiff drink, and I'd be on the floor out cold. Thanks for the hug, Jig! :newpalm:

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

<raspy dons his bartender costume > Here ya go, HC:

Appletini.jpg

Drowning anger in alcohol is an excellent therapy. You can either munch or smash the apple, depending on your mellow level once you've drank the 'tini.

Seriously now, I'm surprised at all the problems migrating to a new iPhone. I was under the impression it was almost a one-click process, and more than a few times I've heard the phrase that iPhones "just work" compared to Android devices. For me, migrating from Xperia Z1 to LG V10 was a one-touch job (via NFC) and migrating from V10 to LG G6 was very easy, even though the V10 was dead by then. I thought the backup cloud was one of Apple's strengths

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Luckily for me, by & large we've had no problems* with any of the iPhones my wife or 2 sons have had…we've always had Verizon, and to the best of my knowledge, the techies at the store have done the setup of the new phone -- maybe we just made it in under the "no•no•no•no we don't do that no more" wire...the most recent time was. Christmas time...regardless, hc, I hope it gets better for you (free support-wise)

*as long as broken screens aren't counted; the most recent one (device) didn't get turned in as an exchange, so I cut down a TX screen saver and slapped it on -- don't need splinters of of glass in my fingers

8. jigwashere

I was thinking more in terms of a hug from my friend Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. jigwashere

I know this is off topic for this thread, but since I mentioned it in my earlier post I thought I'd give an update. Comcast showed up today. Serious waste of time! Every time they come here, they look at my equipment, tell me it's old and needs to be upgraded (I bought the modem last year). As always, I tell him he's full of it. He gets on the phone w/tech support and they do a bunch of other "provisioning" nonsense. They install their own latest and greatest modem and.....speeds are still slow. Finally, they remove some legacy modem config from their backend and badabing, badaboom -- I'm getting 180 Mbps download. I can only really get that on wired and 5 GHz wireless (2.4 GHz is in the 60 Mbps range).

Okay, now where were we with all the iPhone nonsense? ;) Oh, yeah. iPhones suck!

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  10. headcronie

My better half says the phone is acting fast now. Whether or not there is truth to letting the OS 'settle in', I have no clue. I know that I was mere inches from going 'Hulk' on that thing. I'm not going to poke it. If she is happy with it, and her apps are responding vs the unresponsive state she had on her 6, I'll let it be.

As of today, that's the least of my worries. Microsoft's beloved patch Tuesday, just caused my premature death. I've got 30ish systems that just went casters up due to one of their fouled up patches. My stress level for the iPhone incident is trivial in comparison to the mess that awaited me at work. I've not had a stressful day like this in 8 years. *sigh*

Glad you got Comcast straightened out. I secretly hate you now. Wait... I guess that's not so secret anymore. All in jest. :p What is your upload promised / actual? I use far more of my upload than I use of my download, as I run a Plex server, and have constant streams uploading from home out to my family. The more upload, the merrier for me. 10mbit promised / 12mbit actual for me. Better than the 5 / 6 I had just a month or so ago.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    lelisa13p, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.