Need help

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jmuelx, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmuelx

jmuelx Newbie

I have a Axim X50V and I purchased an 8gb SD card just to copy songs that I already have on my desktop pc from Windows Media Player. I was only able to copy 2 albums and got the message that the storage card is full. What am I missing, or what did I do wrong ?
    Thanks

2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Maybe the card is actually full? Are the contents of these 2 albums almost 8GB? It seems unlikely, but I suppose it's not impossible if the music was encoded in some particularly bulky format.

(The most commonly preferred format is MP3; WMA is acceptable to those who don't mind working with WMP; OGG is quite popular because it's "open" ... these are all "lossy" formats, that is the audio quality is somewhat diminished, there are various settings to balance quality-vs-compression. Purists prefer "lossless" formats which preserve the maximum audio quality possible; WAV and FLAC formats are probably the most commonly used for this.)

It's also possible that your 8GB card is simply not formatted to a full 8GB capacity; a FAT16 file system cannot address 8GB but may have been factory-installed to ensure maximum compatibility. FAT32 will handle 8GB and is generally preferred. NTFS is best overall, but cannot be used on devices which can't handle it (your X50v may not even "see" an NTFS card).

Another possibility is that you have an SDHC card and your Axim supports (earlier) SD cards but not SDHC cards. SD and SDHC are not quite the same thing. You can either attempt to exchange your SDHC card for an SD card or you can perform an upgrade to an (unofficial) X50v WM ROM that supports SDHC. (Look around at Aximsite, xda-developers, ppcgeeks, and handhelds.org to find such ROMs, if interested.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.