Need Help with Fixing a Symbolic Link

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Nov 30, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

So if you never remotely access the file system of your laptop from other machines in your house, it's irrelevant which option you use. If you do, the Junction is the way to go. That's my understanding of it.

RickAgresta, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Woo hoo! :thumbsup:

Recreating Junction Link_Symbolic_1_2020-12-01_ Success_BH Edit.jpg

Recreation instructions that I originally used and just used again. The order of operation is very important and exact.

Recreating Junction Link_Symbolic_1_2020-12-01_iTunes Backup Instructs.jpg

Will try to make a successful backup of my previous iPhone as a test. Last time I tried it (when I didn't realize how deep was the ditch that I found myself in), my C: drive filled up when the redirect failed. This may take a while but that's normal. Back when I have results. :newpalm: Please don't hold your breath! :vbgrin:

hc, if this works out, you're my hero. :vbcool:

3. headcronie

[​IMG]

4. headcronie

You've added another toolset to my bag of tricks. As a Systems Admin by day, I've never needed this until now, and had no idea what they were or what practical use they would have. Now I know. Thanks Lelisa! :)

5. lelisa13p

Ahem. See my sig. :vbgrin:

Success! Glorious, magnificent Success! yellowsmiliedancingandscreamingwithjazzhands.gif I'm so happy to see Backup files! I decided to back up the iPad Mini-R because it has the smallest capacity and if successful, the process would go quicker. It took about 45 minutes, which seems like a long time to me but it worked! Checked to verify backup file is in D:\MobileSync\Backup. :thumbsup: The next backup was of my iPhone XS Max with a capacity of 512 GB. It's going the usual route of being passed along to my Son and I wanted to have a final backup of it for myself. The original backup was used to set up the newest iPhone 12 Pro Max for me last week. That backup disappeared in the Dismal Event along with all of the others. :vbconfused: This time it took a good 90 mins and I was worried. However, my patience was rewarded and that new backup is also in the desired location. YAY! :vbcool:

Before backing up my new iPhone, which I'm sure will also take a very long time, I stopped to post this update and to say Thank You once again. I'm elated! :vbgrin: And you, hc, my old friend, are truly my Hero today! :newpalm:

Virtual hugs all around! yellowsmiliegivinghugs.gif

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Respectfully, RA suggests that a printed-out hardcopy of this thread might be a good idea…

7. headcronie

I love to see success stories! So glad you're up and running again!

And as always, glad to be able to help. :)

8. lelisa13p

yellowsmileykneelingbowing.gif

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Once she realizes you took away her justification for buying the laptop she really wants, you'll be in the dog house. ;)

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

10. lelisa13p

HAHAHA! :vbgrin: Actually, that laptop talk was desperation speaking. :vbtongue: Buying a new laptop is near the top of the list of things in Life that I most loathe. :vbmad: More complicated every time I have to make the choice. AAMOF, this very afternoon I renewed the warranty on the accursed Win 10 machine for another year - it seems the coverage expired today. Of course it did. :vbrolleyes: