Need a new web browser - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Tungsten C' started by CEB, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Hi Folks,

I'm so far out of touch nowadays. I just searched but can't find anything that's still available. I want a new web browser for my TC; McDonalds have just started offering free WiFi ('bout time too), and I have an account for PAYG WiFi with T-Mobile. The trouble is, poor ol' 'Web Brower' can't render the log-in pages properly (the user name and PW boxes are off the page and I can't scroll that far), and it can't handle pop-ups which is a problem.

Is there a free, or very cheap, browser that I can download? I don't want to spend too much because that money could be put towards a new device (maybe :eek: a Blackberry).

Ta very much.

2. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

Not a lot of choices. I've looked at the following:

Novarra nWeb: A "native" version exists for my device. Novarra is a B2B outfit that normallt supplies embeded solutions to manufacturers. Novarra used to sell single copies over the web, but that page seems missing, so I don't know if they still do. It works fairly well, but has a weird delay on startup. That seems to be part and parcel of the Novarra engine, and affects a couple of other products based on it. It costs about $35 if available.

Mobirus Xiino: This one also ran on my device, and could use the full 320x480 screen. The web site seems to have disappeared, so I don't know it it's even still available. (I get an Apache default page when I go there.) This cost about $30 when it was offered.

Access NetFront: There's a version of this ripped from a Clie floating around. It runs fine here, but requires Dmitry Grinberg's UDMH to increase the available dynamic heap. It also requires CodeDiver to get it to use the full 320x480 screen on my device. Free, but you may need a shareware app or two to use it.

Opera Mini: A Java applet that requires Palm's IBM Java Virtual Machine to run. It works well enough, but has quirks on my device because I can't run the most recent JVM. The one currently offered from Palm won't run. I have an older version that does, but some things in Opera Mini don't work as desired, like I can't get it to use the full screen. (USing the full 320x480 screen apparently works fine on the TX with a current JVM.) It's also sluggish on my 200mhz device, but probably [peppier on faster devices like a TX. And because it's intended for smartphone, it does not follow the Palm UI guidelines, and won't look like anything else on a Palm device.

Picsel Browser: This was bundled on some Sony Clie models, and a ripped version is floating around. Picsel later offered it for sale over their website, but that page, too, seems to have disappeared. Picsel Technologies normally works with manufacturers to provide embedded solutions, and may have decided sales to consumers was more trouble than it was worth. It runs here, and can view and enormous amount of things, including PDFs and JPGs as well as websites, but the interface bears no relation to anything else on a Palm device and there's a learning curve. Like NetFront, it also required a little help from a couple of shareware apps to run as expected.

Browsers on Palm OS are quirky even if you can find an alternative. JavaScript support is spotty, and CSS support seems largely non existent. Your best bet now it to try Opera Mini, and failing that, look for the patched NetFront distribution.
    ______
    Dennis

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I don't think Opera Mini will work, as it filters all its pages through a proxy server. Therefore, unless it has internet access before it needs to load anything, no dice.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

There is also Universe Browser. But that is undergoing a re-writing, and has been missing so long that I'm starting to think it will never show up.

www.wapuniverse.com

5. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I'm sorry for not replying sooner, been very busy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like the options are not great, but as soon as I find time, I'll look into them.

Thanks again.

6. montecristo1

montecristo1 Mobile Consultant

There is PLENTY of good choices for the TC. I use web pro 3.5- which is way better than the default web browser v2. This browser has better rendering and more options. Another great browser is xinno v3.4.1E- this browser really offer outstanding web surfing. It is fast and pages load up quickly. And finally, Opera mini v.2 also works good with the TC. I use all three and recommend them. Also get netchaser, to reset any bad wifi connection.

7. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

For usage on TC, another vote for Xiino here. Still use it on my T3.

8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm still using Palm WebPro v3.5 (came with the "Palm Business Suite for the T|C" CD) for over 1.5 years now. I rarely encounter a web page that it can't handle (well, handle about as well as one can expect from a "pocket" browser). I use my T|C and WebPro v3.5 all the time wherever I can find free Wi-Fi access (practically daily). I don't really know what else is out there because I haven't felt the need to look.

9. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

Unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared. The homepage no longer exists, and while you can probably find a copy in one or another repository, you can't register the software.
    ______
    Dennis

10. william1860

william1860 Mobile Consultant

I am using Opera mini 4 and am extremely pleased with it -- no problems at all.

11. montecristo1

12. holvoetn

montecristo1, the download might be there, the registrating part is still missing :(

13. pecruz

pecruz PECRUZ

I am still amaze with the Picsel browser even with chinese characters in the program. Thanks for let me know about this program. Right now is my most used browser in my T|C.

Opera 4 work great too but the full page mode is hard for me to look at the website. One advantage of Opera 4 is that can handle the new websites that WebPro 3.5 or Picsel can't handle.

pecruz

14. ridgeley

ridgeley Mobile Evangelist

I'm looking for a whole new PDA because WebPro 3.5 hardly handles any websites anymore. I can't get the LA Times or Wall Street Journal. As of today, I'm having trouble with the NYT and Yahoo. The websites have gotten so big, I need truly updated software.

I wanted to see what people were saying on the TC board, and now am going over to the HP board to see if people are satisfied with that PDA and its browser (can't remember the name, something 110/111).

15. holvoetn

Last 2 days I am using my 680 again to browse when being mobile in the house (using Bluetooth :rolleyes: ).
    Blazer 4.5 is really quite good :newpalm:

@ridgeley:
    HP iPAQ 110 is indeed the one you might be referring to.
    See here for an extensive review by Adama.

16. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks again for all the replies.

I tried Opera Mini 3, but it flashes the licence agreement page, then jumps to my launcher. Perhaps I'll try V2.

This is my problem. I use MobileLeap, it's free and renders webpages for mobile devices. Unfortunately, the server seems to be down a lot, but when it works, it works okay.

17. redmapleleaf

redmapleleaf Newbie

Hi William,
    Are you using opera mini 4 on TC? I tried to use it but it always crashed on me. Strangely enough the opera mini 4 beta works fine on my TC. Is there any setting you have to twist in order to get the opera mini 4 to work without crashing?
    Thanks,

18. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

I was using Opera Mini 2. Works quite well, but there's no copy/paste facility, so entering web addresses is troublesome. Sadly, some WiFi problems last night caused a reset-loop that I had to hard reset to solve. Now neither Web Browser nor Opera works (although versamail does). I'll have to sort it out when I find time (which might be some time in the future).

Anyway, Opera seems like a good alternative, depending on which version you can run.

19. montecristo1

Here is a solution: google mobilizer (reduces page size) http://chaos365.com/mobile/portals-search.html visit this link using your pda. Enter the URL- and you'll see the speed and difference.