Name of Palm Contacts File

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by Abradaxus, May 12, 2017.

1. Abradaxus

Abradaxus Newbie

I owned a Palm Tungsten T3, which got orphaned when Palm gave up the business. However, my Palm Desktop software was still operating under Windows 7, and I never found any better software to keep my contacts organized, although I was forced to used Microsofts contacts in Outlook and other applications. So I wound up keeping two data bases, my Palm desktop, and my Outlook Contacts, although I never did get the Microsoft nomenclature correct between Windows Vista and Windows 7. Although I still have my Palm Desktop software intact, the other day I was horrified to realize that a number of my contact entries just "disappeared." Now I have everything on my computer backed up, but I don't know the name of the data file which got loaded when I launched the desktop. Can anybody help me by recalling the name or naming convention of the Palm desktop data file? Any help gratefully appreciated.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand! From what I've seen via Google search of 'Palm Contacts File' if the file is an archive, the extension is .aba; if the file is active the extension is .dat; if it is a recent backup (not archive) it is .bak -- in older software it would be Address.dat or address.bak or address.aba. If I can get it to run, I'll check my old laptop tonight.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  3. Abradaxus

Abradaxus Newbie

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf. Things have only gotten worse since my last post. Now the entire application doesn't work, due, I'm sure, to the last Windows Update that I applied. Reinstalling the application doesn't delete the data files, only reinstalls the application, which still doesn't work with Windows 7. I tried to open the data files, which, according to my many backups going back to 2015, says are stored in the Palm Directory under MyDocuments. They are "mdb files," and they can be opened with Excel, which reads these Access Files, but can't really retrieve them in a useful way. So I got about 80% of my data back in a crummy Excel Spreadsheet which naturally doesn't display data records one by one, as did the Palm application, but as one huge spreadsheet (totally useless for day-to-day use. Now I am looking for some kind of database which I can use to rebuild my history. No luck so far, since it has to reside on my iPad and my pc. So that is my sad tale. Again, thanks for your help.