N9 Impressions

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Antoine Wright, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Greetings all. Yep a new Nokia post from an old BH hand. What can I say, I'm deliberate in my device choices, and sometimes move at the pace of a different drum. A bit more than a month ago, I purchased the Nokia N9 - the one and only device Nokia sold using its MeeGo operating system - as I found a great deal on a 64GB version over at Amazon (less than $280) and its just been something I've wanted for a long time now. If you've followed me outside of BH, you've probably read my impresisons. If not, consider this a blast from the past.

Initial Impressions
    One of the things that makes me smile about this N9 is the hardware design. Yes, its a device that 1.5 years old, but it doess a heck of a number making people turn their heads and their hands. One of my tests has been to let people put the N9 in their hands and just fondle it. From the seamless curves of the curved glass to the weight, everyone agrees that its just one heck of a nice piece of kit.

The screen is another factor in this. When I turnned it on, I was surprised at just how black the blacks were and how white the whites were. The colors just seem to have a gel-like texture to them and you have this feeling that at anytime the screen could start breathing (in fact, this breathing, or vibrating motion, is exactly what happens when you cold boot the N9; its neat).

There are three buttons, volume up/down and power. Really simple and elegant. Out of teh box I got a Euro-formatted charger, headphones, and a slip/skin case. Really all that's needed. I've since picked up the NFC+bluetooth Nokia Luna headset - tap and pair. Also, just a sign of how impressive this N9 is at a first impression.

In Use
    I didn't like to talk about specs in my reviews (seriously, ask Ed, I hated that part), and I still think that specs don't mean much. But there are a few aspeects of the spec sheet that do need speaking towards here: the processor and the 64GB of space.

When the N9 came out, it was already on a processor that was a year behind the cutting edge. This meant that for many tasks, specifically gaming and browsing, the N9 could be considered punching above its weight. Its been 3 major updates since that release and you know, its just fine. I do gett issues with Twitter - but that's related to the (un)optimizations within how its integrated as app and service. Aside from the occasional button (Qt view) that doesn't respond, its smooth. Really nice. Its something I enjoy keeping in hand.

64GB is a lot of space. There aren't too many devices pushing that today, and mainly because of the cloud-augmented space that Android and iOS platforms shift towards. I get it, but I don't care. I like that I have 64GB for HD videos, music, and a local website (!!!). Its neat that the space is there when I need it, and shows up ready to use when I plug the N9 into any computer (a 64GB removable drive is kind of sweet wouldn't you say).

Browsing has been decent. Not great. I tweaked my settings with Simple Mobile (a T-Mobile MVNO I use) but that was a day ago. I need time, but already, its a ton faster. WiFi browsing is decent. NFC is used to trigger Bluetooth as I mentioned before, and BT to multiple devices at once is supported. I'm happy.

Battery life could be better. Yes, I'm around a charger all the time (even have one on my bicycle). But, there seems to be a good bit of wasted power on the N9. I can eek more if I used power saving mode more often. But, I leave that for at night and when the battery truly does get low.

Overall (a month+ in)
    I don't regret this purchase. As I've said on my other pieces about the N9, its got good points, bad points, and grey areas. Those grey areas could be deal breakers for some, but for me, they've not killed my perceptions just yet. I can see how many N9 owners have gone to the BlackBerry Z10 - its a kissing cousin for sure. I can also see how folks threw up their hands and ended up with a Galaxy Note series device - its also so close to a tablet that it makes sense.

I'd recommend it if (a) you like the wild west of mobile, (b) you aren't met with current BB10, Android, Apple, or WinPhone offerings, or (c) you embracee wanting something so different, its really in a class of its own. Don't get it though if you want another Android/WinPhone device. Its just not the same cup of mobile tea. In fact, it just might make you nod in agreement with Nokia's decisions to move on.

Feel free to ask any questions. I was deliberate in what I posted, and what I left out for that reason.

RickAgresta, Mi An, Hook and 3 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hello, Antione! Great to see you again. Thanks for the great article.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Thanks Jig, it's been fun using the n9.Definitely could have been a device and platform that that have changed Nokia to something different.

scjjtt likes this.