My Windows 10 PC can't see my Samsung A71

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abenn, Mar 23, 2021.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks Rick and Hook. It seems like Samsung have monkeyed with Android UI in a big way, for under 'Settings' I don't even have a 'System' page.

Ahhh, I've now gone to 'About phone' and tapped the build number several times, and Developer Mode has now been activated. So now in the 'Developer options' menu there's a 'USB debugging' option, but switching this 'On' hasn't helped. But now I've found the 'Default USB configuration' menu which allows me to select 'Transferring files', 'USB tethering', 'MIDI', 'Transferring images', or 'Charge phone only'. None of these were checked, so I've checked 'Transferring files' but my PC still can't see the phone.

I've been into Windows Device Manager and there's no unknown devices flagged up. Nor is there any sign of my phone or its SD card.

And what do you mean by the term 'shade'? When I plug into my PC's USB all I get is a message telling me to check my charger connection.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Sorry. "Notification Shade" refers to the pull-down you get by touching your status bar and draging down with your finger. It tends to have things like your brightness slider, quick link icons and your notifications. The USB status, if connected, is usually at the bottom. The icons for the notifications, if any, usually appear in the status bar (email, sms, etc).

scjjtt, headcronie and RickAgresta like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

To me, sounds like the phone's driver is missing. You should be able to use the PC to download & install it, certainly from Samsung.com, as well as other places. ☠ oops, that's not fingers-crossed is it? Nevermind!

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  4. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Just had a session with a Samsung chatbot and, in answer to my query that the USB connection to a PC isnot working they suggest a factory reset. But, they suggest that before I do that I should save all my data to another device using my USB cable!

It's getting too complicated, so I think I'll just live with it, and use SendAnywhere to transfer files.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

abenn, It's a long shot, but I'd think about selecting some of those other options in the Default USB configuration menu. Sometimes doing that can 'wake up' the device.

Just as a couple of weeks ago, someone here had a problem inputting a contact into their Samsung phone to get it recognized properly, I had recent issue with my TV, which I use as an alarm. It's worked perfectly for a long time, and then all of a sudden, it stopped working. I couldn't figure out what went wrong, so I just reset all the options (which were already set as I wanted them); and low and behold, the alarm started working again.

Maybe choosing USB tethering might get the computer and phone to recognize each other. It may be worth a few minutes to try playing around with it.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for the suggestion. I've cycled through several options in the Default USB menu, and none of them make any difference.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

From this, especially the "check your charger connection" message and the fact that the computer doesn't "ding" when connecting the phone, I think there's a faulty connection between the USB cable and the phone. I've seen the same message on my Galaxy S10+ when I fail to fully the insert the cable into the phone's USB socket, and also when using a faulty or even a 3rd-party, not good quality cable. What I usually do is remove the cable from the phone and reinsert it, if the error appears again, then I try another cable. Less frequently, the error is on the other end, that is on the computer's USB port. Maybe there's some lint or other debris inside preventing full insertion. I've found that phones with USB C ports are much more finicky when connected to a computer, often requiring that the cable be inserted just so before making connection. You can visually check the computer's USB port, see if they're clear. Also, see if the ports are USB 3, by checking the color of the port's tab:

Computer-with-USB-3.0-port.png

The blue one is USB 3, the grey one is USB 2. Try connecting your phone to the USB 3 port.

Also, you can visually check your phone's USB port for any debris. If something prevents the cable from fully inserting, you'll see the "slow charge" warning and data transfer may fail to initiate.

Just now I saw a similar warning message when I connected my S10+ to my laptop's USB 2 port:

slow.jpg

I'm using a Samsung original S10+ USB cable, so the problem is with the port. I disconnected, reconnected, everything fine. Repeated, message appeared. So I just preferably connect to my laptop's USB 3 ports and there I've never seen the message.

If you want to check the USB connection options, you have to first connect the phone to the computer, then the following is the sequence for my S10+. I guess your A71 will be the same. First, drag your finger down the screen to show the notification shade, then tap on the arrow seen here:

usb 1.jpg

Once you've expanded the notification, you'll see this:

usb 2.jpg

Tap the message, then you'll finally see the USB connection options:

usb 3.jpg

Usually, it should appear as above, with "This phone" selected, meaning the phone is under local control (as opposed to controlled by the external device), and "Transfering files / Android Auto". This option connects the phone to the computer as a phone/media device, and all its contents are available to the computer. It's somewhat confusing in that the "Transfering images" option seems to do the exact same, except that the phone appears on the computer with a camera icon, whereas on the previous option it appears as a media player with headphones.

AFAIK, no driver is required under Windows 10. I didn't install any Samsung or USB driver on my laptop when I connected my S10+ for the first time, and it's been ages since I installed anything USB- or phone- related on my computer. Maybe Windows Update did it without me noticing? Wouldn't surprise me :).

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Oh....lint in the USB plug on the phone. Yup, that's a good possibility. Get some canned air and blast it!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Superb run-down, Raspa!

Yeah, it could be a bad cable or some bizarre quirk. A couple of weeks ago, I moved my laptop to another room for a Zoom session, and when I re-plugged in the power adapter, the power light on the laptop went nuts, flashing in a different color, and I get a message that it wasn't the right power adapter, etc. It told me to check the power panel in Settings, which I did, but nothing seemed changed or needed attention. I rebooted the computer and the light still flashed. I didn't worry about it too much and proceeded as I normally do. By the next day, it seemed to be back to normal, although I honestly can't remember if the power light used to be on all the time, or only when the laptop was charging, or plugged or unplugged as it's behaving now. I think it was initiated by an update that it had gotten that day or the day before.

headcronie and RickAgresta like this.