My Samsung Galaxy TAB S 10.5: Rooting, etc.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Hook, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Just an update. Finally flashed Android 5.0.2 on my TAB S, already rooted with TWRP recovery installed. Will play with it a while in rooted stock . IronROM lollipop is already in alpha, so stock probably won't last long, but I'll take some time to see what they've done with Touch Wiz and such. If I find anything I think is interesting, I'll let you know.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  2. Hook

I'm actually enjoying Lollipop on my Tablet. I don't know why exactly, but material design seems to be a better experience on a tablet. I still hate all the white, but that will likely be solved once the ROM devs get things going, just as it was for my Nexus 5.

I will say that Samsung seems to have done a good job with optimizing Lollipop as it is very smooth and fast, in fact much faster and silkier than KitKat. They apparently haven't improved things much with the SD card because I still has to run this app again (luckily it seems to work fine on lolipop, despite the name:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix&hl=en

The fact that it worked tells me the architecture underlying the problem in both Kit Kat and Lollipop must be near the same.

I tested out MS Office for tablets as they are still claiming that it hasn't yet been quite optimized for lollipop, but it did everything I wanted it to do. I suspect battery life isn't quite as good as KitKat but that is a general complaint with Lollipop and, as with my Nexus 5, will be fixed by kernel tweaks either withing a Lollipop ROM or a separately developed kernel.

So, I'm happy enough with the update made by Samsung, that I won't roll back to my old, more feature rich KitKat ROM and will wait patiently for IronROM and Ironkernel to update. They haven't even released the new firmare for the T805 TAB S (I have the wifi only T800) which is what the dev has, so could take a few weeks, but I'm fine.

All in all, I'm pretty happy and feeling good that I have a Tablet that I can update almost as easily as a Nexus.

3. Hook

And now, I'm deliriously happy (or at least delirious, since I'm talking to myself :vbrolleyes:). IronRom finally has a stable Lollipop version with a custom kernel and I even have my favorite LCARS boot animations I had on the KitKat version. Hasn't yet developed the Aroma installer for it that will let me get rid of even more bloat, but it is already pared down and I can just freeze the rest in TB. Even have a blacked-out pull down quick settings menu (and hoping for similar skinning for the settings in the future). Great support for this tablet on XDA. :newpalm: :thumbsup:

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  4. Hook

Yup, there is now a blackout theme for IronRom settings menus. All that awful white of Lollipop is gone. I really chose the right Tablet, if not going with a NExus, as far as Dev support goes! :newpalm:

5. Hook

And, finally, I have what I wanted from the beginning with this tablet. While I have much gratitude for all the efforts of the young developer of IronRom I finally found a stable non-TouchWiz, based on CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1, which hasn't even be released for the TAB S) and I now have a tablet that is Samsung in Hardware only. Not a stitch of Samsung software left. And, as far as I'm concerned, that's how it should be. CM is as close as I can get to AOSP and a Nexus on this tablet. I have a minimal Gapps installed and don't have to have a dozen or more apps frozen in Titanium Backup. As I've stated before, the difference, for me, is beginning by thinking about what capabiity I want to add to the OS, not what I want to delete or dig out. This experiment turned out well because it was a premium device and well supported device that I was able to get on sale. However, I would pay extra for a good enough Nexus. I hope to never buy a Samsung device again, and would only with confidence of being to do what I have here (sorry, NetB :vbwink:)

Speaking of experiments, way back, the original intent of my experiment was to see if an Android tablet with a BT keyboard or a two-in-one could replace needing a laptop. This most certainly has succeeded. Particularly thanks to Micosoft (office for tablets) and Softmaker Office (take your pick, both are first class) and a couple of really fine BT keyboards, this has become, for me, a dedicated work machine I can take anywhere. I have no interest at all in Chrome (even the browser gets immediately frozen on my Android devices), so I really wanted to know if Android could cut it or if I needed a Wibows solution line the ASUS T100 or whatever. And this tablet was premium enough, it will likely carry me *at least* a full 3 years. I'm certainly enjoying the start of year 2.

Oh, and in the no all work and no play department, the TAB S with a 10.5 AMOLED screen + DroidTV makes a fantastic TV set. :newpalm:

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Scifi looks especially good on AMOLED. :newpalm: I really need to load up some Fringe to watch.

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Hook - I hear you loud & clear. Although my Lenovo Tab 2 A10 isn't as powerful as your Samsung TAB S, I was grateful that Lenovo didn't seem to load the tablet down with a bunch of junk & bloatware. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10 that I was comparing to the Lenovo Tab 2 A10 had 1.5 GB more stuff loaded on it compared to the stripped down Lenovo. That may not seem like a lot - but to me it is - especially if one only has 16 GB to work with & no external memory. I ended up with the Lenovo Tab 2 A10 32 GB which not only didn't have Samsung's bloatware but also out performed the Tab 4 10 in every spec plus the Lenovo has external memory capabilities.

As far as CyanogenMod - I think it is great & wouldn't mind having it on all my devices. I first had it installed on my Samsung Epic 4G phones (which I still use at times to read, check & respond to email or even watch something on Netflix), then I installed it on my HP TouchPads. I like the simplicity of it & its speed. I'm sure CM will serve you well - until you find another MOD to download.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Mi An and Hook like this.
  8. Hook

Ummm...so much for that plan, at least for now. A strange but very specific problem suddenly cropped up. When I played video, especially noticeable with the tablet speakers, but also headphones, the voices were distorted such that everyone had a lisp. Since I was watching most of these videos via DroidTV, I immediately assumed there was some problem with their downloads, so I tried an Orphan Black episode I had encoded myself and watched before. Same thing. I tried a different video player (VLC), same thing. So finally, I restored a Nandroid back-up of IronRom and -bam- the distortion is gone.

I have posted a description and query for the dev, but my personal theory is that NetB sneaked into my house and messed with the CyanogenMod sound engine. :vbwink:

So, since I don't want distorted sound more than I don't want Touch Wiz, for now I'm back on Touch Wiz. :vbrolleyes: (I might try Official CM-12.1 and see if it does the same thing, but I really am not looking forward to another clean install).

jigwashere, Mi An and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Any chance you had regional preferences set to Barcelona? ;)

10. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

:eek: Don't worry Hook, this will not be your last Samsung device, I can guarantee!

*Samsung planning to take over Nexus* :D lol

*whistling* What? Why are you guys looking at me?

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.