My Samsung Galaxy TAB S 10.5: Rooting, etc.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Hook, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

IronROM keeps getting better and better. It now has the Aroma Installer which allows me to (mostly not) choose what Google and Samsung bloatware I want. I choose no Google apps and it only installs the play store and required services and Google account, which allows me to decide what if any Google apps I want to install from the play store rather than having any installed as system apps (which is what stock Samsung does). I also install no Samsung bloatware, although there are still a few things that I don't need that the Dev includes by default to make sure things work properly. There is also a nice selection of helpful apps the Dev includes as selectable in the Aroma installer (the kernel manager, Xposed, etc.) I end up with a very light, very clean install that runs very smoothly and about 60% of my 16GB internal memory available.

The Dev will upgrade to Lollipop as soon as the OTA/factory image is released to the TAB S. I'm in no hurry as I'm not dying to have all that white, but I know another CM based ROM has already blacked out Lollipop, so I suspect that may happen here as well.

Between the lovely screen, the build quality and the Dev support, I am a very happy camper. Nexus Nein, indeed. :vbwink:

Did I mention I'm in love with this Tablet? :newpalm:

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  2. jeppy

jeppy Newbie

Hi,
    I just have found out this very interesting thread (well explained).
    I rooted my tab S using CFautoroot, edited platform.xml to get media_rw permission (checked out using SDfix) but I'm always unable to delete any file in external 64Gb sdcard.
    I guess I have missed something. Any clue?
    I ain't yet installed any recovery custom (thinking of Philz Touch) 'cause I 'm not at home so no computer on the hand.
    Btw, sorry for my english : I'm French.

3. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Welcome to Brighthand, jeppy. Your English is just fine. :vbsmile:

I'm not sure, unless your edit didn't take. Try the app I recommended in the first post:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix&hl=en

You can also do this with settings in the wanam Xposed module if you have that, but the app above is very simple a straight forward.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Welcome to Brighthand jeppy. Don't worry about your English - it's fine - sometimes I have to apologize for mine & I speak it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. jeppy

jeppy Newbie

I don't know why my post wasn't published. Internet mystery?
    Anyway, thanks for responding.
    platform.xml was well edited and saved 'cause SDFix said it was done (=nothing to change)
    I had Xposed and handletoexternalstorage on tablet, but I'm a little bit afraid of running them 'cause of the big warning about bricks and infinite booting risks !

6. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Apologies, I missed your reference to having already used SDFix in your first post. Not a problem with your English, a problem with my reading comprehension. :vbrolleyes: :vbwink:

What are you sing to try to delete? I delete fine with Root Explorer. Just want to make sure it isn't one particular program that is having the problem.

Xposed has those warnings for the same reason all ROMs have such warnings and the same reason drugs warn you about drastic side affects that may only affect .01% of the population. While rare, these things can happen and they are simply making it clear they aren't responsible if they do. As far as I can tell, the only real dangers are from the things one can carelessly do with sufficient system level permissions.

However, caution is wise. :vbsmile:

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. jeppy

jeppy Newbie

My 64Gb sdcard is full up with avi files. So, after watching a movie, I wished to delete it.
    I tried out first ES explorer giving it root permissions without success. Same with TotalCommander (my favourite toolbox from many years in Window$ then with Android)
    I gonna try Xposed, I'll tell you the result....

After having installed Xposed framework and module Handletoexternal storage : can't always delete a file.

These files have been uploaded into sdcard from a Windows computer with an Usb adaptor.
    May I suspect trouble coming from it?

My next step is to create a txt file on extsdcard, saving it and delete it to see what 'd happen.
    Bingo! I can create and delete a new text file into extsdcard.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  8. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

I just tested deleting a video file on my external SD card using Root explorer. This file was transferred from my computer to the SD card via a usb cable, but I didn't remove the SD card and use an adapter. The file deleted just fine. I'm not sure why using a card reader rather than simply transferring to the SD card when the tablet is connected to the computer would make a difference, but I can't test that while at work.

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

using Total Commander, have you looked at the properties of the .avi you wish to delete? it is possible that the file is delete protected, meaning with that setting, it cannot be deleted. in Android, as I understand it (<==link), that means the file does not have write permission. just a thought

jigwashere and Hook like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Lollipop for the TAB S was released over the weekend. Odin flashable tar files are already on XDA. I expect flashable zips to be there very soon. May check it out to see what they did with Touchwiz in Lollipop, but will be really waiting for IronROM dev to incorporate it.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.