My Palm Family STILL LIVES!

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by raspabalsa, Jun 17, 2015.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, there are marked differences in LCD characteristics (brightness, sharpness, saturation, etc). Actually the Sharp LCDs were the worst: dimmer, lower saturation, blue-ish hue. Toppoly were more yellowish (thus warmer), much more brighter and with better saturation (IMO). Sony were the best, again IMO, not so bright as the Toppoly but with a much sharper image and very good saturation and hue. I ran across only one Sony screen in the 10+ devices with 320x480 screens I've opened, and most OEM screens are Sharp. Toppolys can be purchased from Chris Short. I highly recommend getting a new Toppoly LCD and glass digitizer. The differences in image quality and digitizer responsiveness are huge compared to the original Sharp assemblies.

The long thread discussing screens is here. It's amazing how we could devote 8 pages to discussing screen makes and differences :newpalm:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    jigwashere, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

If/when I send my 2 TXs off for new screens (the clock is ticking; oldest one has bad responses for lower 1/3 of screen) can I be assured that Chris will be using the screen that you say is best? Meaning, does he always use that one for replacements?

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

You can ask Chris to provide a Toppoly screen for your device. I've done that in the past. Of course, his inventories must be dwindling.. better hurry :)

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  4. lelisa13p

What's the scoop on "OS Upgrade and Dmitry Grinberg TX2 ROM ( +$8.95 )"? Was that for larger (32/64 GB) SD cards? Worth it or not? Has anybody who's done the TX facelift :vbtongue: also done this? And will it affect restoring the TXs from backup copies as usual since the OS wouldn't match? Or does Chris just add Dimitry's patch while he's in there? So many questions... :vbconfused: :vbsmile: :vbconfused:

5. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I did that on mine and it's just fine. I don't remember exactly what it does, but it gets rid of some crapware, updates the Palm OS to a later version, probably from a Treo and adds a couple of inconsequential utilities and apps (like the Netfront Browser, which doesn't matter since I don't browse on my TX :vbwink:) It does add Filez and Bejeweled2. Being rid of the crapware is nice and probably worth it and it makes no difference for restoring NVBackups (don't know about others).

A full list of things removed and added is available by expanding the ROM branches on this page:
    http://www.palmdr.com/cart/palm-tx-repair-service-p-125.html

jigwashere, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  6. lelisa13p

Thanks for that info. I'm probably going to stick with what I have, only because I mostly just use DateBk6 and always restore with BUM. I'm the uncomplicated type. :vbsmile:

As an aside, I've always loved my massive icon collection for DBk6. When we all started with these TXs, I could see them all just fine; now, I squint. A lot. *sigh* :vbwink:

tick tock tick tock...

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yeah, being all grown up isn't hardly the way I thought it'd be…

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  8. lelisa13p

That ought to be embroidered on a throw pillow. :vbsmile:

jigwashere likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

<dryly..> I'll see what I can do.....

lelisa13p likes this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I can only find these throw pillows: