My Palm Family STILL LIVES!

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by raspabalsa, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Then again...

Tell her not to inspect the broom closet. :vbeek: :vbwink:

Hello, Mrs. Raspy! :hi:

2. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

You guys enticed to me to post up my collection too :p If I can find the box with the rest I'll get a family photo together with it all.

Pictured:
    Lifedrive- Got it from RobbM on here a few years back, it's the CF mod installed and still working beautifully
    White Centro- AT&T, got when there was as chance we'd be jumping to them from Verizion but it didn't happen
    Tungsten T5- Got it from my computer science teacher after they were cleaning up their cabinents and getting rid of unused tech they bought for the teachers. It was practically brand new, currently working on getting it set up as an emulator device
    Double Blue Centro-I got both of them for use on Verizion, but one of them took a dive in the pool, so I bought the other. Went back to the working one from my iphone after using the Iphone since August. Funny enough we gained a couple gigs of data by me jumping back :p

[​IMG]

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Even I avoid opening that door, Hook. Pretty scary stuff in there <must not think about that must not think about that >

Mrs. R is out of town for the weekend. Well, actually she is in town, I'm at our house by the camp. I'm already starting to fill the desk with gadgets and stuff. Looking forward to a modder's night, just like good old times :newpalm:

That's a nice collection, z22! I don't think I've ever seen an LD in the flesh. When that model came out the Palm boom was long dead in my country. The T5 was the last model I ever saw in local brick stores. All my TXs were purchased online.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and z22 2006 User like this.
  4. z22 2006 User

Ah that's very understandable! By the time Palm caught my interest, the only ones I could find in stores were the Z22, e|2 and TX for sale, marked down at that.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. chris777

chris777 confusulated

I had tried switching to android for my calendar, but I broke and got another tx. My old one still works but the digitizer is useless most of the time, I have been able to reset it a few times and get it to work, but gave up and bought another used one, so i can have my calendar and bible back.
    Now i have an old clie sj30 (I think) a near death battery zire72, 3 centros only one works. And finally with my newest edition 4 t/xes my original with cracked screen that I still don't know how happened, one that may have had the batteru die in, the digitizer drifter, and my newest hopefully well working edition( its charging now, thought it took a while to wake it up from slumber after the seller sent it, I got a little nervous it was a dud.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

chris, info below provided by Hook (link in his signature); the service provided comes highly recommended from members here:

Palm Dr. (Chris Short)

Highly recommended repair and quality refurb source for Palm OS PDAs. Also an invaluable source for original model install CDs!

7. z22 2006 User

Thanks for reminding me about Chris! I've been trying to decide if getting a new battery for my Centro would help improve battery life or not. As expected using data connections saps the battery down, but I'm suspicious if part of it isn't the battery's age.

8. chris777

chris777 confusulated

On a whim I plugged in my t/x with the suspect battery, and temporarily got it working.
    It's strange it works for a while and then when I tried to plug the sd card in, it goes black, then I have to do a 2 second reset, and repeat. It seemingly died again Till I plugged it back in the charger and it rebooted, with less than half a charge. I might break and try and buy a new battery and resolder it myself. I just cant talk myself into spending too much on them considering I bought a whole new unit for 18 bucks. And other than the battery being completely discharged the new unit I got is a beauty not a scratch, but the digitizer is significantly dimmer than my other units.
    I would like to know whats wrong with the digitizer drift unit as well, but not enough to shell out too much on it.

I am debating hard on actually spending money on the t/xs spiritual successor the samsung note 4, but its a lot of money for a phone. It's funny when I was working I tried to have these devices up to date, but now that I am on a fixed income, Its difficult to keep up.(thats the main reason I never fixed my tx with the busted screen ,which had a rewritable rom that I cleared of its junk. )
    I guess thats one benefit to ios and android taking over palms coveted space, in that most of the devices can be had on the cheap. It's just messed up I haven't synched in years due to backing everything up to sd. (cept when I transferred my contacts calendar, and memos to android)

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

regarding the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) being dimmer (not the digitizer, they are 2 separate components), iirc, there were 3 different manufacturers of the display, and they were far from equal in performance -- I think the Sharp was the best, but I could have that totally wrong. if raspabalsa visits this thread, he can tell you, and possibly provide references on it here at BH.

as for digitizer drift, one of the best solutions was PowerDigi, by PalmPowerUps: http://www.palmpowerups.com/index.php it was originally shareware, but is now free (although you may, per the linked page, need to generate a key for it). I've used it, it works wonders.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

RickAgresta likes this.