My Palm Family STILL LIVES!

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by raspabalsa, Jun 17, 2015.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hi all!

Last week I was at my old home and decided to check on some stuff I left in storage there (storage meaning three big cardboard boxes). I was surprised to find most of my Palm stuff still intact, including my beloved custom TX, a few other devices, and quite a lot of spares and components. I hadn't checked this stuff in almost three years! Check the pic below:

The Family.jpg

From left to right and top to bottom:

- Palm m100, fully operational. Inherited from my brother, who gave it all of a week of use (back in 1999 or so) before deciding it was too much tech for him.

- Palm TX. I mean THE Palm TX I've spent so many hours happily fiddling with. With its 4500 mAH battery, second reset button, internal microphone, glass digitizer, 16 GB SDHC card, custom aluminum case with extra room for the external batteries, magnetic closure, and cutouts for charger/USB cable, stylus, and headphone.

- Sony Xperia Z1... Yes, I know it doesn't belong in the pic, but the poor fellow has been feeling very lonely ever since I started playing with my TX. Besides it makes a nice comparison pic, past and present, right?

- Palm Tungsten C with 32 MB (yes, that's 32 megabytes) card. I think it's functional, but I couldn't find the UC cable or cradle to charge it. This used to be my dad's Palm. The card is still loaded with a backup from 2006.

- Spare Palm TX. Functional, except it has no battery. I removed it to test it in the other TX. I don't remember when or why I got this TX. I think back then I thought I'd use the TX forever and wanted a backup unit. It has a plastic digitizer and hasn't been modified or customized.

- Palm Tungsten T3. Last of the mighty metal, RAM-based Palms. I don't remember if it's working or not. It's disassembled and has no screen or battery. This unit had a beautiful Sony screen, and I removed it to install on my TX which had the ugly Sharp screen. I still remember the long threads where we discussed screens!

- Spare Palm TX's mainboard. Again, no idea how I came to have it. A backup for the backup? Probably.

I've been tinkering with all this stuff for some days, and I found that the 4500 mAH battery pack in my TX is damaged. Batteries started swelling after the second charging, so I had to remove them. Luckily I have two never-used original TX batteries. I installed one in my TX, and now I'm charging to see what's its condition. I plan to keep just the internal battery, since I won't be using this unit for much. It's amazing to see that all my old stuff is still there, even the games are just where I left them 3 years ago. Of course this is to be expected with NFVS, but it's one thing to know it, and quite another to launch Star Traders and see the police are still chasing me for piracy! I already tested all my apps and they're all fine, even NoviiRemote was able to control my 1-year-old Samsung LED TV with the old databases it has. It's amazing how well movies look in the 320 x 480 screen, even at only 600 kbps video bitrate. However, I haven't been able to connect the TX to my WiFi router, even after setting it to mixed a/b/g/n mode. I seem to recall only mixed a/b mode worked for the TX, but my router does not suppport this mode. I'm thinking about getting another router to connect to my main one and use it for my TX.

My plan is to keep the backup TX and mainboard as spares, unpowered. I want to revive both the T3 and TC, just for the fun of it. I can use the spare TX screen for the T3, I have a battery, but no Universal Connector charger. I may replace the UC connector with a micro USB port for charging and data. I did this years ago to my old T2, except I replaced the UC with a mini USB port (micro was not yet in use back then). This would make it much easier to charge the T3. Or, I may install the Athena connector from the spare TX, to keep the T3 compatible with the TX... there's an interesting thought. I'm already feeling the excitement of modding Palm devices. Newer toys such as my Z1 are much harder to mod and customize. I'm running through Chris Short's inventory to see what I can need for the T3 and TC. Maybe I'll just get a UC / USB cable (to keep the T3 in its original condition) and a telescopic stylus, plus another glass digitizer for the T3. If I can't get a cable soon I may switch the connector.

My wife is somewhat surprised... she didn't know me back then, when I spent hours upon hours opening and tinkering my toys. I explained all I did, how and why, but there's still this new and different look in her eyes when she looks at me :D

If I get some spare time this weekend I'll see if I can do the UC/micro USB switch. I have to search for the UC pinout chart. There was a time when I knew it by heart! I'll post updates, hopefully next pic will have one or two more screens lit (and no Z1 to spoil the fam pic!)

lelisa13p, Hook, headcronie and 3 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

So exciting Raspy. I'm always amazed at those who can remember what & how they used stuff in the past.

Have fun - my Palm years were from 1998-2011. Of course from 1993-2000 I lived in Palm's hometown & a lot of people had Palms in Sunnyvale.

By the way - don't get too excited about your wife's ''new and different look in her eyes when she looks at me.'' From experience (yesterday was our 36th year anniversary) that ''look'' may not be a good thing.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.11.6

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

Very cool! I no longer have any of my old Palm devices, but the Palm TX was my favorite! I still think they have some of the best PIM software. I use Android devices now (so I can still tinker), but I do have a fondness for the Palm OS days!

5. raspabalsa

Yeah, I have the pinout chart saved. I just had to dig through my old Palm folder. I still have all the software, tech papers, pictures, and lots of other information saved on my hard disk. You could sort this data by date and rebuild a full decade of my life with it :D

Yes, I'm having lots of fun. Turns out one of my "new" TX batteries is in very good shape. This is now installed on the main TX. I'll test the other battery on the T3, and then I'll be close to having another device operational. I'm still debating whether or not to replace the UC with the micro USB.

I hear you... and I already felt some of that last night. Halfway through our conversation (actually a monologue as I waxed eloquent about my TX's virtues) my wife just turned around and fell asleep, still with the "new and different look" on her face :D :D

Congratulations on your anniversary, Scott. I'm always happy (and a bit surprised too) to see marriages last so long. In three weeks it's my 2nd anniversary, so I guess I'd better start paying attention to you.

I was thinking just that last night, as I went through my TX's PIM suite. Also, powerOne Graph is still an amazing calculator. It can do things no single Android calc can do (not even powerOne for Android). NoviiRemote is another great app. Palm apps were very mature and efficient, and focused on doing their stuff first and foremost, quite the opposite of current apps that focus first on social and sharing stuff and ads.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    lelisa13p, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That's pretty cool. All my Palms work (Vx, TX, E2 (really my father's), LifeDrive). I've always wanted a T3 and I look on ebay occasionally. Someone, maybe Chris Short, had them for sale; but I thought the prices were excessive given that it would only really be an occasional toy.

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  7. raspabalsa

The Vx was my first Palm, and I still sometimes regret selling it. Back then I never thought I'd become addicted to these gadgets.

Chris Short does have a large inventory (item-wise, I don't know how many units of each he has) of Palm devices and spares. A refurbished TX goes for around USD 90, which I agree is somewhat steep. But the T3 is really a nice device, especially with the slider and huge dynamic heap. If my T3's mainboard does not work I may buy a new one.

lelisa13p, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I love my refurbed TX. I've not regretted for a moment paying Chris to have it fully refurbed. No, I don't use it a lot, but it is a magnificent machine and I love it. For me, like having a rarely driven classic car in the garage, it is worth the price for the pleasure of occasionally taking it out.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    lelisa13p, AZ-TE, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  9. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

My Visor Edge was my second favorite, behind my TX. I loved the all metal body and the bolt-on accessories. Ahhhhh the good ol days :). I must say, I would have loved to see a TX with a cell radio.

10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

You mean the Nexus 5 isn't a TX with a cell radio? :vbwink: Well, it could use some programmable hard buttons. :vbrolleyes:

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.