My Orange PAYG no longer works in Thailand.

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by abenn, Jan 14, 2018.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Yesterday I arrived in Bangkok, as I have done many of times before. In the past my Samsung Galaxy S5 has automatically, with the same PAYG SIM card as I'm using now, registered with a local network within a few minutes of being switched on. This time it didn't. Now, a day later, I've been unable to register with a local network either manually or automatically, even though I can see about 10 available. I topped up my card with £50 prior to departure, so that is not the issue.

To compound my frustration my UK provider Orange or its parent company EE publish no contact info for help, other than phone or snail mail.

Can anyone help please with accessing local networks or Orange/EE?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I managed to find a webform contact page, url listed below. good luck abenn! oh, btw, just because *you* topped off your account (and had *your* funds withdrawn), that's not a guarantee that they are actually available, depending on the timing....

http://ee.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/security/complaint-form

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Project Fi and T-Mobile US had issues with international roaming yesterday. I'm not sure if that would be related to Orange UK, though.

lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  4. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thank you for that link Rick. I haven't been able submit the form successfully yet because it wants an account number, which I don't have because I'm PAYG, then when I input an imaginary number it accepted it but rejected the contact phone number I gave it because it had "+66" at the front of it for Thailand. Then it crashed when I hit the submit button! I'll get there eventually though -- just have to give it my UK number, which I can't answer. Hopefully they'll get in touch via my email address.

jigwashere, I'll put my Orange SIM card back in my phone later today to see if it was a temporary glitch. I'm using a Thai PAYG at the moment, which at least proves that the problem isn't my phone itself.

Edit: I've finally got the form submitted successfully after giving a spoof account number and a UK phone number which I can't answer :))

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. jigwashere

6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Yes, I read that jigwashere. But at the bottom of its first paragraph it clearly states "If you are a pay as you go customer, roaming is already active and ready to use." That's how it's worked for me in the past, in Thailand and other foreign (non-UK) countries.

Admittedly, having taken over Orange and another phone company recently, EE may still be changing their rules to improve commonality across their 3 branches.

Anyway, I've had an automated email confirming receipt of the message I sent via the link that Rick posted, so hopefully they can unblock whatever it is that's blocking my SIM. I tried it again just now and it still doesn't work, so that would seem to rule out any connection with the T-mobile US issue you mentioned earlier, unless that's also still ongoing.

Thanks to both of you for your support and suggestions.

7. jigwashere

Good luck! I hope it's resolved soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

What jig said!

lelisa13p, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  9. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks Rick. My email correspondence with Orange UK is now with a real person, and they are saying that having checked my SIM card details/status they believe the problem is with the network here in Bangkok. They haven't said what they can, or will, do about it, but at least we're talking. I just need to get some reassurance from them that the same network problem doesn't exist at my next destination, Kolkata India!

Update: I don't know if my ongoing exchange of emails with EE/Orange customer service has helped, but today I was connected to a local carrier, in Roaming mode, within a few minutes of putting my Orange SIM card back in to check it out. I've just realised that EE also own T-Mobile in the UK, so maybe my issue was connected with that other outage mentioned in an earlier post.

Update #2: I checked out my Orange SIM card again yesterday, and no connection, even though six networks showed up as available, including dtac which is the one it connected to successfully the other day. I'll be looking for another carrier when I get back to UK.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    jigwashere, lelisa13p and Hook like this.