My Nook Color (pre-owned) has been ordered!

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

That's the same reason I don't buy from the Android market. :)

Indeed, it's nice for stuff I'd like to have but don't absolutely need or don't need just now. I got wifi explorer from FAOTD and have found it to be very handy. Got Pocketcasts, folder organizer and Swiftkey the same way. Didn't really plan on ever getting an alternative keyboard, but it turns out I love swiftkey word prediction.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I don't think I'm familiar with these things. What's SN? I searched FAOTD and got that answered. :)

I don't mind trying out various apps, but I keep my installed app count low for the same reasons as you.

Out of the box, it meets my expectations. Once I install CM7, I'm sure it'll meet my CM7 expectations. I need to learn more and get used to it.

3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

sorry about that unnecessary abbreviation, SN = social networking. As for FAoTD, I just figured you'd have seen references to it at slickdeals. Here's a link for getjar gold, if you're interested. They claim to add new stuff weekly, though the old stuff hangs around longer than a week. No updates for getjar gold apps AFAIK.

And there are plenty of slickdeals on android apps. I set up android as a deal alert. Every couple of months one comes up that peaks my interest, and I'm hopeful, as brick suggests, that will happen even more as the holidays approach.

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

One more to keep for yourself. :D

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I thought it stood for "such nonsense." ;)

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I really am liking the NOOKcolor just as it is. I'm anxious to get CM7 on it, but haven't had time (or a spare microSD card, it seems).

One complaint: scrolling OFTEN ends up with selecting something unintentional. I hate that. It rarely happens with my TP2, and I definitely didn't expect it on my tablet. When I want it to scroll, it should scroll.

Another complaint: the browser is adequate. I expect with CM7 I'll find a better browser. I do like the Opera experience on the TP2 and I'm hoping for something similar. The Nook browser isn't horrible, and by increasing the font size and reading horizontally, it's pretty good. But it does take some getting used to.

I showed it off to my mom-in-law this afternoon. I decided her's is the one that will arrive in the mail tomorrow. I want her to have the unboxing experience. Anyway, I think she'd be happier with a simple ereader like the Nook Simple Touch. For my wife, I might get her the iPad. The 2 kids could have the Nooks...and I'm gonna get me whatever the latest and greatest is on Black Friday!!! :cool: <jigwashere hunts for his "get back to reality" medication>

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

During lunch break, I brought my NC to B&N to look at cases. I like the basic Industriell (or whatever it's called). It's $15 through their web site ($30 in store). I think I'll skip their $17 screen protector.

While there, I had them upgrade to 1.30 which adds some functionality like the ability to turn off web when the kids are using it for reading.

I'm really enjoying reading on it. I'm getting better at navigating. Increasing the browser font size has helped a lot, too.

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thanks for the suggestion NetBrakr. The case I ordered from B&N for $15 arrived, but it turns out it's for the Nook, not NOOKcolor :mad: . I decided to order a set of TPU cases as well as a different leather case, both are CrazyOnDigital (click the images for more info):

$10.99
    [​IMG]

$15.99
    [​IMG]

9. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Thats awesome.

4 TPU cases? Wow, thats alot.

I got a TPU case for my GTab for nearly $10. Yes, it was only 1.

Awesome price, jig.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Does anyone know where I left the microSD card I used to flash my NC? For some reason it's in an endless boot loop, so I figure I'll try to reflash. I put the microSD someplace safe so I wouldn't lose it. :mad: