My Nexus 4 Drool until I get one thread. ;-)

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hook, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

jigwashere likes this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks Hook. I get so tired of cell cost. Our plan with Sprint is $180 for 3 phones sharing 1,500 minutes and unlimited everything else.

The problem I have is paying the same high price after your phone is basically paid off and your contract is over. None of us even use 1g a month because Sprint is so slow. I'm paying $10 a month on our 3 phones for 4g and my phone doesn't even have the new 4g Sprint is using and never had the old 4g where I live.

I may seriously consider this T-Mobile plan in June (contract date) and use something like Talkatone to make calls over wifi. (Didn't you mention about making calls with your Nexus 7? What did you use? I know I can easily make calls with Google Voice on my Chromebook or any other computer using Chrome)

ALSO - is the Nexus 4 only 3g? I know this may be a silly question - but what is the typical download speed with T-Mobile at 3g. My Sprint phone is 3g but I never get 3g at www.testmy.net.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk

3. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

According to T-Mobile it is 4G, according to everyone else it is 3G. I just ran a speed test in my office building with decent reception and I am getting about 12Mb down and 2Mb up.

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  4. Hook

I never used my Nexus 7 for calls-- that's what I used the Nexus One for. You should be able to use Google Voice just fine, but I don't know the particulars.

The Nexus 4 is HSPA+ 42, which is pretty fast from my understanding, but haven't tried it. My Nexus 7 is HSPA+ 21, which is a little slower, but it seems fine to me. Then again, I mostly use wifi on the Nexus 7. The data is only for when I really need it away from wifi.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. scjjtt

That sure beats my 1.2 Mbps download and upload 545 Kbps readings from testmy.net from my home with 3 out of bars. I'll report later at lunch at a better location - but won't won't be nothing compared to your results.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Sprint offers unlimited calling to any mobile number regardless of network. But if T-Mobile as well or better for reception, you could either make VoIP calls as you suggest, or even bump up to a higher plan. T-Mobile could save you some money!

scjjtt likes this.
  7. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

Minneapolis was recently upgraded to T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42. I am not sure if your area was upgraded yet.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. Hook

I think T-Mobile is a little spottier here than AT&T, but it covers most of where I go most of the time. Nice thing about a month-to-month plan and all GSM bands is I can always go back to AT&T if I don't like it, but AT&T is more expensive for less, so I hope it works out.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. scjjtt

Well I did get 1.8Mbps download at a location with all bars.

I have always been glad for people to switching and using T-Mobile. You see we do have a T-Mobile cell tower on our campus which provides a nice monthly check. I guess if I switch it could help the cause and help keep that tower there.

Of course another benefit would be fantastic coverage - but then again - at our church campus we have high speed wireless in all of our 4 buildings and I have always been connected to that, as I do at home, which is why I never even get to 1G of data a month.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk

10. Hook

I was just informed that my Nexus 4 is shipping. I even have a UPS tracking number, although UPS doesn't have it in their system yet. I'm hoping for a Friday delivery, but won't know until UPS has it. :)