My New Toy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

This is an odd little critter...

Bluetooth Adapter for Keyboard & Mouse (BT-500)

http://handheldsci.com/kb

[​IMG]

I got this to give my Alphasmart Neo 2 BT capabilities. It works very nicely. It not only turns my Neo 2 into a keyboard for my tablet and phone, it also lets be use the Neo 2's "Send" function seamlessly for backup, even if I'm out in the woods somewhere (as long as the phone or tablet have battery power). This is the function where the Neo will "squirt" the words in a file line by line into any text window, including a word processor window, on a host computer.

It also turns my mechanical keyboard into a keyboard usable with my phone or tablet.

There is a lot more to it that I haven't had time to explore. It involves no drivers, so it is platform neutral. You can program it directly with a text editor to do things like create key mappings, macros amd even switch any keyboard to Dvorak or Colemak, etc., etc. I may explore those eventually, but my needs are simple. This solves them elegantly.

For the technically curious, here's the manual and here's some really cool photos of the internals on the FCC site.

It's perfect for my Neo 2 and it sucks very little energy from the battery you attach it to (I use a very small 10000 mAh battery). The whole setup weighs nothing and is very portable an is much easier than fiddling with USB-to-go connectors to the phone or tablet.

Love elegant tech. :newpalm:

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

https://traveler.getfreewrite.com/ I was trying to remember what some of those threads from yesteryear were called to post that. I'm just gonna leave it here. No reason.

Though I might have been hoping for a gemini PDA when I saw the title, this is pretty cool too. :newpalm:

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Yes, I'm on the email list for that. I passed on the Freewrite as to big, clunky, expensive and imposing a philosophy of writing I didn't agree with (Adam got an earful on that from the Alphasmart community), i.e. nor arrow keys. It sounds like they have backed off that for this, although it may be in software. The traveler looks like it may have the right combination of price, function, hopefully battery life and portability.

The one problem is they have a really strange and unsettling approach to being able to use cloud services with their machines (although you *can* use local storage and transfer to a computer). They require you to go through their servers to use Dropbox or Google Drive. They also require you to use their servers to handle settings on the device. And their file handling is just bizarre. Consider this post for example:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/alphasmart/discuss/72157697669938545/72157691926083900

That's the Freewrite. We'll see if the Traveler simplifies anything, though if the price is right (support discount) and there is a return period, I might consider it.

The thing I really do love is a clamshell with a nearly full size keyboard, so I'm really interested.

Mi An, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

It looks intersecting, but I don't know if it's worth that much to me right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hook and RickAgresta like this.