My Local Weather Is:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Mar 20, 2007.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

anecdotally, since my wife really isn't a valid point of reference, we had something like an inch of rain in 5 minutes...when I'd gotten home that afternoon it had all drained. and fwiw, I'm 3 lots up the road, on the opposite side of the homes behind my umbrella-carrying neighbor.

my main water-where-it's-not-welcome incidents have involved sump pumps suddenly retiring at a bad time. we now have a water-powered backup sump pump, should the electric one fail, or the electricity go out.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 4 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Well we did it. Saturday we tied the record for the number of days over 110F @ 33 days. Sunday we broke it & the local weather is predicting that by the end of the week we'll be at 40 days over 110F. Remember - we normally have only 19 days over 110F on the average.

[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I could never live with that kind of weather scjjtt. As it is, I'm looking to move to colder climes. I was out the other day on a rare grocery shopping trip and after seeing a couple of convertible sports cars with the roofs up, I realized that there aren't the lengthy springs and falls that make such cars as enjoyable as they used to be. I'm a diehard convertible guy; but it was too hot and humid even for me.

4. scjjtt

Our heat is breaking all previous records. We are establishing new daily highs, lows, & number of days at 110F or higher (42 so far, norm is 19, previous record 33) & number of days the low being 90F or higher.

I'm up & ready to take the dog for a walk. At 4am it shouldn't be 95F. What makes it worse it is not the 8-18% humidity it is 32%. I know that is much lower than everywhere else - but it is high for here.

Next week doesn't look any better:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

When I awoke at 6 this morning and saw your current conditions, I checked mine. 63F and 97% humidity. Those temps make that humidity feel okay.
    Up to 70F and 78% humidity now. We're supposed to top 80F today. It's going to be sticky. A/C is on and house is buttoned up and blinds drawn to keep the heat out.

6. scjjtt

We set another record - 114F today, previous was 112F.

This morning they predicted we'll end up with 54 days above 110F. Today was #51. As I mentioned before normal is #19 days above 110F & the previous record was #33.

[​IMG]

headcronie, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm getting used to cold climates. Nothing nearly so cold as a Minnesotan winter, though. But I survived my second winter in Bolivia and I didn't feel nearly so cold as last year. I only wore three layers of clothes (t-shirt, light sweater, thicker sweater) on my morning rides, where last year I would wear the same plus a heavy two-layer windbreaker and a scarf and still felt cold. This year temperatures dropped to -11° C (12.2 F) at the minimum, although at dawn the coldest I had to endure was -6°C (21.2F) at the start of my bike rides. My sister mocks me when I tell her it's cold here. She lives in Toronto, where a mere -11°C must feel like a day at the beach.

Scott, I think I could get used to the weather in Phoenix. Hottest I've felt was about 40°C (104F) with over 80% humidity in Guayaquil, and I survived :D . I think 114F with less than 10% humidity will feel less hellish than Guayaquil!

Now it looks like the cold, dry winter is ending in Bolivia. Today we had the first spring rainstorm. There was some hail too. And a dust storm right before the rain. The latter caught me during a ride, a few miles away from the plant. Dust got so thick on and above the road that I couldn't see potholes and rocks. I hit a rock with one of the bike cranks, and this tossed me to the side hard enough to dismount me. Luckily, I managed not to fall down.

The rain and hail storm was not too strong, but the wind continued to kick lots of dust around even through the rain. I'll have to start carrying a raincoat in case I get caught in the rain during my rides. I don't know what I'll do once hail really starts to fall. I've never cycled through hail. I've hardly walked through it, in fact. I may have to put my bike in storage during the hail season :(.

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Weather here is weird.... The whole winter was cold and very dry. Zero snow the whole duration. Now it's spring, temperatures started to rise to a quite acceptable range (no more below-freezing temperatures). But in the last few days temperatures plummeted again, and now it's starting to snow. It's just a smattering, though. Almost too little to be of notice, but it's a nice change from the freezing desert of the past three months:

first snow.jpg

The problem is that temperatures are not low enough for snow to keep falling, so rain falls too, the snow melts, and the whole landscape turns to mud. My black backpack turns brown under the onslaught of the mud thrown by the rear wheel of my bike. Luckily this keeps my sweater clean :D. I knew this would happen. I tried to prepare my bike for the mud season by increasing the size of the rear mudguard:

evolucion1024.jpg

Left pic is the original mudguard, center is a larger one I bought, right is the same as center but with an extension I added, made of trusty old leftover geomembrane. I'll have to extend the extension some more to increase coverage :newpalm: . Or get a brown backpack so the mud doesn't show so much :D . Or just embrace the muddy look, because that's what a mountain biker should look like :)

lelisa13p, Hook, JRakes and 3 others like this.
  9. scjjtt

Yes, as Hook can attest to, AZ without humidity is a delight. Yesterday we didn't beat a record but tied it - it was 109F. Last night, letting the dog out around 8:30pm it was 102F. Of course the sun was down. It was 11% humidity with the dew point around 30F. It felt absolutely great. Our daughter has a pool. Earlier in the summer when we were over there and swimming and the sun when down and it was 109F getting out of the pool was a chilly experience. It is unbelievable the difference the humidity makes.

I'm sold on the AZ climate and the price of liviing. I loved living in Sunnyvale, CA - home of Palm, but put my home in Sunnvale and it would be a 4 million dollar home. I get to live in a 4 million dollar home - it just happens to be in AZ and homes are selling for a little over 10% of what they cost in CA.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

10. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Indeed, stuck in VA right now I would do anything to get back to AZ in the summer. I first really experienced AZ when I was living in New York and was offered the opportunity to do some research work in AZ during the Summers. People in NY thought I was crazy going to AZ in the Summer. I jumped at the chance each year.

If you haven't spent much time around dry heat, you really can't imagine. I'll end up settling for CO so I can be with my son. CO is not as dry but also not quite as hot. ;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020