My Local Weather Is:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Mar 20, 2007.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've been thinking of an easy way to take pics while riding. Right now, the process is very convoluted: I have to stop, take my cellphone from its pouch, disconnect the audio cable, shoot some pics, then reconnect the audio cable and replace the phone in its pouch. The pouch zipper is very tight (supposedly it's waterproof) and the pouch has some velcro panels to hold the phone inside too. All this keeps the phone safe and secure inside but also makes everything harder. Because of all this, I decided to make my own DIY GoPro-like action camera. I won't spoil the whole making-of process, but will let you know that I used the harness from a headlamp and recommissioned my LG G6 for this task. Here is a preview of what this gadget can do:

gopro preview.jpg

That's a screenshot from the test ride. I'm using this pic (with an inspiring quote :D) as my WhatsApp profile pic :). I still have to tweak this gadget and find a way to adjust the phone angle on the go without much hassle. Also, I really, really, have to find a way to make it look a lot less nerdy... The G6 is a big shiny silver slab and even I admit I look very silly with that on my forehead :D :D

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

You never cease to amaze! :thumbsup:

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 3 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Where's the selfie?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

4. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

<Giggle>

5. raspabalsa

You're too kind, lelisa :) . Modding and hacking stuff is still my favorite hobby :newpalm: . There's an extra level of satisfaction when only everyday items are used. Would you be surprised if I told you that I also used a piece of dish washing sponge in my action camera? :eek::D

You know, I was actually thinking of how to shoot video simultaneously with the front and back cameras of my G6. The G6 itself can do that, there's a camera mode where it records video from both cameras at the same time, and inserts the video from the selfie camera as a PiP in a corner of the main video. But in the current version of my gadget it's not possible to do so because the harness blocks the front camera. Oh, and my forehead is in the way too :rolleyes::p. I'd have to place the G6 on some kind of arm so it's held some distance away from my face. I'm pretty sure that would make everything about 300% more nerdier than it already is :)

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I want to see a picture of you wearing this "action cam." Oh, and I'm not surprised you're using a dish washing sponge, but I hope it's at least a clean one! ;)

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

From one nerd to another, Raspy: One of my lock screen wallpapers says, "Four out of five voices in my head say 'Go for it!' "

Oh, and to keep things slightly on-topic: It was hot and dry here again today.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, headcronie and 4 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

Heh heh... Yes, the sponge was clean. In fact, it was brand-new. And I saved the unused part for the next versions of my action camera.

The selfie will have to wait. I just put my bike away until the weekend because tomorrow I'm going to Oruro and will stay there until Friday. I think I'm going to take the weekend off, that's when I'll work on my gadget and I'll see if I can convince myself to upload a selfie or two :eek:
    Great motto, Joe! :newpalm:

scjjtt, lelisa13p, headcronie and 4 others like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Innocent whistling comes from quarantine•ville (if returning to NJ)

[​IMG]

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity