My Local Weather Is:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Mar 20, 2007.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Which car is yours? And are you going to be giving autographs? :vbtongue:

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

The white Focus. *sigh*

My car has gone into the federal protection program and the driver has... *line goes silent*

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. headcronie

Do note, the evidence of my attempt at driving this road is completely covered. It drifted in that fast within an hour. Those tracks are from the vehicle behind me, and one other vehicle that got stuck further ahead.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

WOW! So that's how the true professionals get it done; very impressive :newpalm:

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Yeah, that's some serious snow-plowing. I've seen a few videos online for Mercedes Unimogs (which I'm kind of into) and some of the snow-plowing videos with them are cool. Some have these giant snowblower attachments that just decimate the snow. The other cool ones are the snow-plowing locomotives that clear tracks. They shoot these giant plumes of snow.

This one is long but some good footage at 9:45

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm surprised that the cars had that much trouble in the lot. It looks bad, but I've seen worse. I wonder if no one (or almost no one) puts on snow tires? But the plows must have had snow tires (studded ones even)?

I once got stuck for about 8 hours in Pennsylvania on Route 80 in a freak spring snow storm (around March). The state police told my parents that we couldn't be on that road because it was closed, but we'd gotten on before they closed it.

8. headcronie

Just for clarification, that is not a lot. That is a 4 lane road that I and others are stuck on. Whiteout conditions at the time of driving left us unable to see the stranded vehicles in front of us, as well as the drifted road which would soon swallow us whole.

I've got brand new tires on my vehicles just after the first snow fell this season. New tires won't do a thing when the snow gets under your car and lifts you off the ground. Only thing that would have helped us is higher clearance, and 4 wheel drive. They don't make a Focus like that unfortunately...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  9. headcronie

Studded tires are illegal in Minnesota. They do too much damage to the roads. You may use snow chains if you have them. Plows are massive beasts, and I'm sure the tires they have are designed for maximum traction. They make even the biggest pickup trucks look like child's play.

[​IMG]

10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I love Unimogs! Their portal axle transmission is amazing. I've seen them wade deep muddy rivers easily, and climb over boulders more than half a meter high. Last year I was looking for used mining machinery in Perú and came upon a parking lot full of custom-converted Unimogs. A lot of them had been converted to loader/backhoes. They looked really mean. Check one out:

20180608_152449_HDRsmall.jpg

20180608_152421_HDRsmall.jpg