My Local Weather Is:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Mar 20, 2007.

1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Ayup, that rain is just starting here. We've had an enormous amount of precipitation all month and the ground is downright soggy, even on top of the hills. We've got flood watches all around now, since the rain is expected to be heavy and will be in addition to the snowmelt runoff. The wind has gotten rather "screamy," as well. *SIGH*

Good luck to everybody in the path of this latest winter storm!

2. cmthmpsn

cmthmpsn Mobile Deity

Today the skies are grey, at noon the temp is only in the mid 60sF, and I won't be surprised if it rains tonight. It is the rainy season here, but so far, it seems to mostly rain at night. Rain turns what is powdery dust in the summer to sticky mud in winter.

I'll be back to inversions, snow, ice, fog, and freezing temperatures in Boise soon.

3. JRakes

Hello, Christina - Good to hear from you!

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

From Deep in the Heart of Dixie, about an hour after it began this afternoon. It's still snowing and the streets are hopeless. :)

Attached Files:

5. JRakes

Oh, lookie! Our Sweet Southern Belle has snow! :cool:

Hello, Pretty Lady ;)

I'd heard yesterday that you guys were forecast to get snow. Looks like they were right!

While nothing like the recent mid-Atlantic disaster, we've had quite our share here, as well - Another foot last month, a couple of half-footers, and numerous lighter events of 1-2". More expected off and on over the coming several days. We've also had more high wind storms and plenty of days of bitter cold, as well as some sleet and other wintry stuff. Most locales are running low on salt, although I have to say: Our local (city) road crews and TDOT have done a truly remarkable job! Those folks have been incredible and kept things in great shape, all things considered. They and the utility crews have earned their keep for the year! :newpalm:

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Yeah, I'm at the southern end of what the Mid-Atlantic states got all last week. The Washington DC area broke records going back to the 1890s. A couple of feet of snow might seem laughable to you folks here from MN, MI and Canada, but when you don't have the clean-up infrstructure to handle it, it can really mess things up. :eek:

On the other hand, I got an awful lot of paid time off. ;)

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Whack! WHACK!

i, OTOH, HAVE CORNERS WHERE THE SNOW IS PILED UP SO HIGH AND DEEP (dam4 caps lock) that I need to stick my nose out into the oncoming traffic lane, to see if it's clear to turn...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

We got smacked a bit by the snow fairy here as well:newpalm:

Finally had to pay someone to plow my drive so I could get back to my "UNPAID" snow days off:mad: (Hook cheated:cool: )

Hope your nasty stuff has melted Lauren, I don't think Dixie has snow plows:confused:

cassi

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Melting on main streets but still icy in some spots. No plows but some big trucks with loads of sand/salt mix to spread on main roads & highways. cassie, your area would consider us to be "small potatoes" (and incredibly inept.) :)

10. JRakes

No offense, Lauren, but our local crews would think the same thing (small potatoes.) Hence my "shout out" to them previously. We've had ~4 feet of snow so far this season, and have repeatedly broken records for cold temps, meaning the impact has been more severe. Our local crews have been absolutely, without question, top-notch. They've kept things going, people moving, and the general local world turning. If we have a huge bill to pay later this year, I honestly can't complain - I've benefitted from it as much as anyone. And the appreciation of those "behind the scenes" folks is sorely lacking. (We've yet to have an interrupted trash collection!) I took one crew coffee as they passed my driveway. Offered to take another to lunch, but they said they couldn't - They were busy working. Who was I to complain?!?

We have more snow forecast for the coming week. We'll see how it goes, of course. But I have total confidence in our local crews, if history is any indication. They deserve a lot more praise then they're given!