My Indestructible Centro

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I dropped my Centro on Halloween on the hard street and nothing happened. This is the 4th or 5th time I have dropped it on a hard surface without a problem. It is by for the most indestructible Palm I have ever used. I broke the screens on my first 3 or 4 Palms and then started using a variety of cases. I ended up with a hard and soft case for each Palm that I had. I have used 3 different kinds of cases with my Centro and found problems with each: slow getting out of pocket, harder to use phone, etc. I finally stopped using cases about 6 months ago. Every time I drop my Centro I cringe, yet I have never damaged my phone. It is an indestructible little booger.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." -Red, The Red Green Show

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

:eek: :D :D :D
    <It sounds more like Konrad Pierce>

"There is something new to learn each and every day."
    - Hmmm, can't really tell who said it, but it's a wise saying.

"... Not necessarily good, or edifying. Just new."
    - hal's addendum

Surfdog, the fact that you live in a very tangible side of life, you know with boards and all that sort of things that break bones and earn you a shark bite, well I kinda think should not be reaching your smartphone :D :D :D I gather you don't like ruggedized cases, but have you talked the subject with Mr. Centro himself? Cause his cousin, Mr. Treo 680 :))), has a whole trousseau of cases and covers, for just any ocasion. And the max. level of protection he has is just below the term armored :D Sadly, I am yet to find a protection that really reaches the term airtight.

4. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I had excellent protection for all of my other Palms. I have a metal case and leather case for my Tx and it is always protected; but a converged device is different. I am always trying to get my Centro quickly to answer the phone. I never needed to get at any of my other Palms quickly. All of the cases that I tried inhibited and slowed my use of my Centro. I do keep it in a leather belt case because I can access it faster than from my pocket. The does nothing to protect it once it is in my hand.

5. hal

Ah, OK, totally agree. It's the price for convergence. For the daily life in the city, I carry my Treo 680 in a Palm AirCase. The matching belt clip already gave up the ghost (not the best type of holster anyway), but the case itself has endured for a while. It's not acrylic, you know, but polycarbonate, which happens to be amazingly resistant (but who am I telling this to, oh yeah, to somebody who knows about surf boards :rolleyes: -- OK, no petulance intended).

In several occasions, my Treo has done random gravity checks (*OUCH*), and the AirCase usually absorbs the shock. It usually comes apart, just disassembled, not cracked. Think about it, it could be a good option for Mr. Centro.

6. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

The last case I used was polycarbonate but it no longer snaps together around my Centro. That was the best of the three that I tried. Other two were a metal case and a latex/rubber case.

7. hal

Ah, worn out. Get another one, I suggest. As for the two other options, I have never tried them. The latex/rubber thing, is somewhat attractive. And, as much as I have tried, I have never found a metal case for my 680.

8. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Latex/rubber thing is too hard to get out of your pocket and metal case was too clunky. I used each for about 6 months. I kind of like my Centro naked.

9. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I do the same with my 5800. I rides in a Sena Leather pouch on my belt, but when I pull it out it has no case, no screen protector, nothing. It is too sweet and svelte to muck up with a case. I actually have a Boxwave leather flip case for her, but stopped using it abd got the leather pouch because it ruined the aesthetics and how good it feels in the hand.

Guess, some day, when I drop her, we'll find out if the build quality is as good as it feels. ;)

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I carry my 755p in a horizontal belt holster. I like it naked when I use it, but I have dropped it a few time onto cement. The scratches in the paint bug me, but functionally it's fine. Recently, the spring in the miniSD card slot stopped working, which is a royal pain. I'm still able to use my external memory cards, but it's more difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.