My HTC One's battery drains fast in low signal areas

Discussion in 'HTC' started by The Count, Apr 16, 2014.

1. The Count

The Count Newbie

I have a HTC One and I currently work in area that has a poor signal. Recently, I've begun to notice that my battery drains a lot faster when I'm at work than on the weekends. I've tried installing Juice Defender and several other things but nothing is working. What should I do? Is there a fix for this?

2. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

As far as I know, this is universally true of smartphones. If you are getting no or poor signal strength, the phone will keep searching for a better signal and chew up the battery doing so. The only cure is airplane mode or leave it on a charger whenever possible. If voice is okay and data bad, it can sometimes help to tell it to use 2G/Edge only while at that location.

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

welcome to Brighthand!

if you don't have a need for data being on all the time, try turning it off, too (in addition/in place of what Hook suggested), re-enable when you need to check email, then disable again. it's a pain in the you- know-where, but other than being able to charge during the day, that may be your best option. let us know what happens.

lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, The Count!

I'm in a similar situation: my work is in an area of very low coverage, and my phone's battery won't last through the day. In addition to what Hook and Rick mentioned, I also often turn off auto-sync. Since WiFi is available at work, I also turn off mobile data and rely on WiFi for emails, etc. With a little effort I can make my phone last until I get home.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, The Count!

Just to clarify a bit -- if you're using your phone in a low-reception area, the battery will drain quickly since the phone will work harder as boosts the signal. There really aren't any effective battery-saving strategies while using the phone except for dimming the screen. You can, however, preserve battery when you're not actively using the phone using the suggestions above. I also work in a weak-signal area and have had good results using an app called '2X Battery.' I've considered getting the pro version.

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.