My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G6

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Quick update: I continue to enjoy Google Fi. Once I set it up to mostly use WiFi, I haven't had to make too many compromises in how I use it (I can't think of any). My average bill, including taxes and fees, is $32.44. The lowest was $18.93 and my highest $41.27. The higher bills usually result from me accidentally turning off WiFi and not realizing I'm running up my bill.

Google Fi has the Moto G6 for $99 with activation (which you can cancel or suspend right away). I'm tempted to get one as a backup or perhaps to replace my daughter's E4.

The Moto G7 can be pre-ordered for $250.

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Just wanted to report that my son has had zero problems with his Moto G6 phone. It's received numerous security updates (unfortunately it's still on Oreo v8.0 rather than v8.1, but...), and it actually works better and more reliably on Sprint than my Moto G5S Plus AND my wife and other son's Apple iPhone XR. It took a lot of heat when it was released because it's really not an "upgrade" from the Moto G5S Plus, but on it's own standing, it's still a very nice phone. I've really enjoyed anytime I've been messing around with it. That Moto G7 is also looking really sweet!

scjjtt, EdmundDantes, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

A just got a 'Happy Fi-versary' email from Google, celebrating my first year with Google Fi. I've been generally happy with the service, the phone and most definitely the cost. My average monthly bill has been around $30. Much of that, I'm sure, is because I'm able regularly use my home WiFi, but I don't really think about data usage that often when I'm away from home. I'll be heading to Norway this summer, so I'm anxious to see how it handles international travel

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. jigwashere

I guess I posted my satisfaction with Google Fi a bit too soon. There was a major outage yesterday that prevented cellular calls. It seemed like inbound calls worked for me, but that could simple have coincided with the fix. It was frustrating for me, and I had nothing pressing. I can imagine how maddening it was for people who were in a more urgent situation.

WiFi calling shouldn't have been affected, but i was on WiFi and couldn't call. I need to check my settings.

Edit: I could not make WiFi calls.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Google has had a miserable two days. Google admits to one bad day, but my inbox says otherwise. Around 200... yes 200 emails about G-suite for education services being impacted over 2 days. Sunday and Monday. Google has only fessed up on Sunday.

The cloud is great people blindly exclaim! Until it isn't. Rinse and repeat. How quickly people forget. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Mi An, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

I don't plan to abandon Google Fi for another carrier. The outage was frustrating, but not a crisis situation for me. I depend on telecommunications, so having a few backup options is important. My backup options include:
    • "landline" phone service through Comcast/Xfinity
    • my work phone is on the Verizon network
    • my wife and kids are on Sprint
    • my mother-in-law (who lives with us) uses Consumer Cellular (probably T-Mobile, even though they also piggyback on AT&T)

Google Fi is supposed to automatically switch among T-Mobile, Sprint, U.S. Cellular and WiFi.

My call attempts failed because of a bad Google Fi server configuration that limited network traffic. The cellular signal wasn't the problem. As far as my Google Fi phone was concerned, I had a strong cell signal so it happily attempted the cell call. WiFi calling would have been automatic and worked fine had the cell signal been bad, but since it was good, the dialer didn't know any better.

There's no obvious, user-friendly way to force a WiFi call. scjjtt told me that he used WiFi calling when traveling, so I started looking into how I might force my phone to use WiFi calling. I found 2 methods, and verified they both work:

1. Install and use the Hangouts Dialer. I do use Hangouts for text messages, etc., but didn't have the Hangouts Dialer installed. During the outage, Google Fi provided instructions for using Hangouts Dialer as a workaround.
    2. Turn on Airplane Mode to disable all radio signals, including cellular, then turn on WiFi. In this configuration, calls from my phone's dialer will route over WiFi.

Thanks for scjjtt for nudging me to look into this further! :newpalm:

7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Please report on how it went/goes -- I'm most interested in this. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not some big world traveler on a regular basis, but I have been to Europe twice in the last 2.5 years, and really benefited from Sprint's free international roaming. The Sprint stuff is only supposed to be 1 or 2G speeds, but it seemed like more often than not I was 4G except when I was really rural (but sometimes even then I would get spotty 4G and 3G). With Sprint merging with T-Mobile, I highly suspect that a lot of the things I really like about my Sprint plan could go away in which case Fi service might be a good option for me. Unfortunately, for the wife, daughter, and two out of three sons, Fi is no longer an option since they went rogue and switched to iPhones (silly fools!). My middle son and I will feel very sorry for them from the relative comfortable safety of Fi while they end up dealing with potential T-Mobile fickery. I'm not saying T-Mobile is a bad company/service, but it's just not Sprint and we've had a pretty good ride with Sprint for about two decades now. There were bumps along the way, but the majority of the time it was pretty darn good and for pretty cheap, too (something the dear wife is going to miss).

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

We leave for Norway in just over a week. To prepare, I installed a Fi data only Sim card into my wife's iPad Air 2. I've ordered 3 more data only Sim cards that I'll put into the kids' phones and my MIL's phone. Only my Moto G6 will have cellular call capability, but the others shouldn't have much need, if any, for phone calling. They should be able to use FaceTime, IM, and other chat services. Google Fi will charge me $10/gigabyte up to $60, so it won't get too expensive. My wife's old Sprint plan has a grandfathered world calling plan, so I'll leave her phone as-is. She'll have 1GB data included, unlimited text and $.20/minute calling.

EDIT: All of the Google Fi data-only SIM cards will share my Google Fi plan. My non-Wi-Fi calls will be $.20/min.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019 at 8:46 PM
    RickAgresta, scjjtt, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Uh, jig? Will you be giving a group presentation, or more like one-on-one's, with handouts? My head's spinning at this point [​IMG]

lelisa13p, headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Norway! :thumbsup: Have a blast! :vbcool: