My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G6

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Just FYI, I believe that Dirty Unicorns (which is very similar to PureNexus) has the most updated Nougat version for the Nexus 6.

Just looked at the Dirty Unicorns website. The latest version is August 3, 2018, so that's rather recent. Just so you know, Dirty Unicorns v12.4 is Nougat. Oreo would be v12.5, but there's no such thing for the Nexus 6.

Dirty Unicorn v12.4:
    https://download.dirtyunicorns.com/?device=shamu

For GApps they seem to just be using Open GApps:
    https://opengapps.org/

Make sure you choose ARM and v7.1.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just a correction. All DU 12.x versions are Oreo. Nougat was DU 11.x. DU 12.4 is the final Oreo version as all development work is turning to Pie. They will update the security patches as long as Google deploys them. Not sure whether they will call those 12.5 etc, but there will be nothing else added.

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

A correction to my correction. I was at work and never double checked. The download page opens with the weeklies tab open. There is a 12.5 official on the official tab and *that* is the final Oreo version. :vbwink:

Hard to keep track of this stuff. :vbrolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    internetpilot and jigwashere like this.
  4. internetpilot

Wow, so there was actually a DU Oreo ROM for the Nexus 6? That's news to me! I assumed it was just the latest DU Nougat. Pretty cool that they did an Oreo ROM for the Nexus 6. I'm surprised PureNexus never did.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Project Fi has been a pretty good plan for me. My bills have been $24, $18, $31, $36 and $34 (June through Oct). I'm on track to having a sub-$30 bill this month (.53GB used with less than a day in the cycle). This plan has made a lot of sense relative to my old SERO plan that cost $50/month. I had to make a few adjustments to app settings, etc., but I don't even think about whether I'm on cellular data or WiFi. I basically use my phone like I always have. In the background, my phone usually connects to WiFi for data, and most of my apps are set to only download on WiFi. I regret not moving to Project Fi years ago when I started working from home.

While I haven't noticed any decrease in service with Project Fi since leaving SERO, I haven't really noticed any benefit to switching other than the lower monthly bills. Sprint coverage is pretty good in most places I travel, but I was hoping that adding T-Mobile into the mix would fill in some of the gaps. Maybe it has and I just haven't noticed, but there are still areas where I rarely travel that don't get good coverage. My work phone, which is on Verizon, does help to fill those gaps, however.

internetpilot, Hook, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

internetpilot, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

Project Fi is selling the Moto G6 for $99 with activation. Well worth it! You must activate it w/in 30 days for the discount, but it can be cancelled at any time. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll send a referral (saves another $20).
    Project Fi has other phones on sale, too. https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#compare

scjjtt, Mi An and internetpilot like this.
  8. internetpilot

Wow, that's a great deal. Of course, it won't be going on when my Moto G5S Plus abruptly dies, so I'll probably have to pay full price for the G6.

It sure does seem like Google didn't think this through very well if it's really that easy to buy the G6 for half price and then just immediately cancel Fi and put the phone on your existing carrier. I wonder if there's actually anything in place that could stop that from happening?

9. ChristopherAKAO4

ChristopherAKAO4 Newbie

I just wanted to thank you for all the helpful information you shared in this thread. I'm considering "upgrading" from the Nexus 6 to the Moto G6 and your comparisons have been quite helpful. If you have a chance there are a couple of things I'm curious about though and I'm wondering if you could answer. Is the G6 noticeably fast or slower than the Nexus in everyday use? And is the camera any better or worse? Thanks.

Oh, I kind of wonder if the difference in WiFi between the Nexus and the Moto might be due to the G6 lacking support for wireless AC.

10. jigwashere

Welcome to Brighthand, ChristopherAKAO4!

I completely forgot about issues i had streaming video that I thought was related to WiFi. I think the WiFi has been just fine. Video streaming has been great, too. The only time I have issues with video is in the Google News app. When I try to go from portrait to landscape, it gets laggy.

Performance and camera seem comparable with the Nexus 6. All in all, I'm happy with the Moto G6.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018