My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G6

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My son's Moto G5 Plus is the Amazon Prime version. Do you think it'll get upgraded to Oreo 8.1 (and soon)? His expectations are so low that he'd be over the moon if it were to happen.

internetpilot, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  2. jigwashere

RickAgresta, scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Both the G5 and G5S series are supposedly neck deep in "soak testing" an Oreo 8.1 upgrade. Also, there's all kinds of developer chit-chat stirring up since Moto apparently released the kernel for Oreo 8.1 for these devices, which usually means it's about to be released any minute. I don't even know if I can get my Moto G5S Plus restored to stock well enough to take the update. I might have to wait until some kind soul (who has the exact same variant as mine -- XT1806, US 4gb RAM/64GB internal storage) releases a TWRP flashable version of it. I'm not holding my breath, as there just aren't very many people in the US developing on this phone. I was finally able to locate genuine Moto firmware for my particular model, so hopefully I can ADB fastboot everything back to stock enough to the 8.1 update and then re-root it. The good news is that our version of TWRP as come a long way since I first rooted my G5S Plus. I think that if I fastboot TWRP (without flashing/installing it), I can get a working backup of everything that can actually be restored if want to go back to stock/rooted. I couldn't do that before because our version of TWRP wasn't quite up to snuff with decryption yet.

I went ahead and took the plunge on the Moto G6 for my son. I picked it up at BestBuy today, drove around the corner to the Sprint store, and $3 later (SIM card kit), it was up and working. Such a nice phone! I'm really digging that new skinny screen ratio. My G5S Plus feels downright portly compared to the G6!

Mi An, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  4. jigwashere

One significant frustration I have with my moto g6 is that it cannot hold Bluetooth phone calls on my 2016 Outback. The phone pairs fine and seems to function well in my car for streaming, but during phone calls, it often switches from car to phone to car to phone. It's more than annoying: it's distracting. I've unpaired my phone indefinitely.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Are there any firmware updates for your Outback?

I know there are some updates I can do on my 2014 Focus. New versions of Microsoft Sync. I'll get around to it at some point... maybe when I'm really inconvenienced and have a spare empty USB drive laying around. :D

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

No updates I'm aware of. I'm finding similar reports with no resolution. I might call the dealer and see if they know of an update.

RickAgresta, headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  7. jigwashere

My preliminary bill for July is $34 after taxes. I only used about .75Gb.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I just don't talk that on my phone, but the few times I have via bluetooth in either my son's 2015 Toyota RAV4 or my 2014 Toyota Sequoia, it hasn't had that problem. My Sequoia has the Toyota Entune system (their brand of syncing/connectivity) and it updates the headunit firmware probably about quarterly through my phone's data connection. My son's RAV4 is a lesser trimline, so it doesn't have Entune, so I don't know if he'll have issues with his G6 or not. He talks on his phone even less than I do, so we'll probably never know for sure. I do have some streaming problems sometimes with my G5S Plus in my Sequoia. It's mostly just blank song info or the wrong or missing album art, etc.

9. jigwashere

I seriously doubt the BT issue I have has anything to do with the G6. I think the problem is on Subaru's side.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  10. jigwashere

We're headed home after a great camping trip in Yellowstone National Park. Along the way, I learned a lot about Project Fi: it kind of sucks. Heading out to Yellowstone, I relied heavily on the hotspot created by my work phone (Verizon) for data and calls. Unfortunately, I lost my work phone somewhere (not looking forward to dealing with that when I return), and we only had Sprint and Project Fi on our travels.

Sprint service was strange across our 4 different phones: iPhone 6s, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus, Moto E4. My son's G5 Plus got decent data roaming until he hit the limit, but my Nexus 6 didn't get much data at all. He was also able to get voice service when the other phones got nothing. My daughter's E4 didn't seem to get much data service, either, but she didn't use it much on the return trip anyway, so it's hard to know. My wife's iPhone 6s didn't get a whole lot of use, either. Bottom line: Sprint data service in ND, SD, WY and MT is terrible. Phone service was spotty and inconsistent.

My Moto G6 on Project Fi fared the worst, by far. Voice roaming service seemed similar to the above Sprint phones, but no data roaming at all. And since trees, mountains, elk and bison don't offer WiFi, my Moto G6 was pretty useless for checking emails, weather and catching a bit of news.

If you're heading across the plains into the western mountains and need good (not great) voice and data coverage, Verizon wins -- hands down. I'm hoping I'll have a better experience with Project Fi when I travel internationally.

scjjtt, headcronie, Hook and 3 others like this.