My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G6

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Safe travels, Jig!

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

We're on the train from the airport to our hotel in central Oslo. We're tired, but in one piece. Google Fi has worked seemlessly in the Amsterdam airport and so far in Oslo. I have fast, 4G coverage.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hook, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

Google Fi has been awesome in Norway, even in very remote, mountainous areas, with only a few exceptions. With only 3 days left, it looks like I'm about to encounter a bit of an issue:

Apparently, my kids have steamed and downloaded a lot of video, and I just got warned of the pending slowdown. I've temporarily turned off my hotspot and will talk with the kids in the morning. We'll be just fine, but I really didn't expect this data cap.

4. jigwashere

Just to clarify my situation, this shouldn't be a big deal. I still have well over a gigabyte of high speed data remaining, and once I'm back in the US, I'll be on WiFi.

5. jigwashere

We're home! Google Fi worked very well. There were only a few times in all of our travels that I noticed a lack of coverage. I was getting a signal in remote mountain areas where we hiked, and deep under the mountains in the tunnels we drove through, including one that was 25 kilometers long! My phone also worked in the Amsterdam airport.

I did make a few phone calls to my wife and kids as we separated and needed to keep in touch, a few calls back home, to Canada, to make or confirm reservations, and contact people in Norway. My total call charges are $3.54.

My only issue making calls was with our other US phones or calling the US because we had to remember to add +1 at the beginning for the international calling code. I don't think I had any trouble at all with text messages. Texting seemed to work well for the kids, too, but my wife's iPhone on Sprint had trouble. I suspect the problem was with the iPhone's PITA messaging app, but it could also have something to do with Sprint.

Since I wasn't aware of the 15GB high speed data limit with Google Fi, the kids streamed to their hearts' content and I'm left with less that 500MB of high speed data until my 9/2 cycle. I'm usually on WiFi since I work from home, so it might not be a problem. If I run out of high speed data, I might still be okay out and about using slower data for a bit. I could also carry my work phone with me and create a hotspot. I do have the option of paying an additional $10 to get another GB of high speed data.

One other thing: on those few occasions when I connected to a hotel or other WiFi, it looked like Google Fi created a VPN to protect me.

All-in-all, I can highly recommend Google Fi for travel to Norway. My final bill will be in the neighborhood of $85 with excellent, relatively seemless usage, a lot of high speed data across 5 devices, and unlimited text messaging.

My wife will be leading a group to Norway next year to hike a portion of the St. Olav Pilgrimage, and I'll set her phone and iPad up to use Google Fi in her own account. I'll suggest she recommend it to her group, too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  6. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Still watching this thread closely, especially now with the Sprint merger likely to go through. I don't have much faith that I will like what my decade Sprint account features will be after the merger. I get a pretty sweet deal with Sprint right now, but I don't think that will likely carry over to T-Mobile.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.