My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G6

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I just ordered the Moto G6 and expect it to arrive by the end of the week. I'll be traveling the following two weeks, driving out to Yellowstone National Park, so it'll be interesting to see how the phone performs and what cell/data coverage will be like.

The $260 Nexus 6, which lasted me 30 months (much longer than my previous smartphones), is no longer supported and has poor battery life. It served me relatively well. Now, it will be my backup as well as something to play with (trade-in value is only $30).

I'm switching plans because I think there are better, cheaper (or at least equivalent) plans for me than SERO. Also, Sprint no longer subsidizes phone purchases. I purchased an iPhone for my wife 2 years ago using the subsidy on my contract.

Project Fi offers unlimited calls and texts, free or cheap international calls, and free or cheap international roaming. With some data management on my part, I hope to have cheaper monthly bills (closer to $30/month average rather than a consistent $50).

Switching to Project Fi means giving up Google Voice :(. I'll keep my number, but won't be able to use Google Voice website anymore. It looks like I'll lose spam filtering and won't get incoming caller ID (other than caller's number), which might bum me out. I think I'll also lose all my Google Voice text message history (I think voicemail and calling history might transfer. I'm archiving through Google Takeout, just in case.

I'll post updates when my phone arrives and I activate Project Fi.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    scjjtt, Mi An, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm interested in your journey. While I'm no longer in control of my phone plan, it might be something for my parents to consider if they are no longer happy with Sprint.

I know that I just ran afoul of Sprint's new data roaming policy. 100mb of data roaming, then you're cut off for the rest of the cycle. 100mb.... you know how fast that chews up, when you have background apps you can't even shut off before you hit that damn cap? No more than 30 miles out of town in the country, and I'm essentially 'lost' as I can't GPS my way out of a cornfield, unless I happened to download Google Maps offline. That' is absurd! :mad:

3. jigwashere

I'm hoping Project Fi works in my relatively unique situation, but there are likely cheaper/better plans for most people. My kids are on Republicwireless, and I might switch my wife over to it from Sprint.

One barrier: Project Fi requires you use one of their approved phones. The list is growing, but still very limited.

Project Fi unlimited calling/texting is $20/month for the first person, $15/month for additional lines and works on Sprint, T-Mobile AND US Cellular (auto-switching to best network) and WiFi.
    vs
    Republicwireless unlimited calling/texting is $15/month. It works on Sprint OR T-mobile and WiFi. There is no family plan.

Cellular data on Project Fi costs $10/Gb vs $5/Gb on Republicwireless. One difference is that unused data is credited back to your account on Project Fi.

Note that both T-Mobile and Sprint offer those of us who are 55 and older $50 unlimited plans (um, well, with some limitations, of course ;)) Adding another 55 or older person is even cheaper.

Republicwireless seems to work very well for my kids. My daughter had free service for the first 6 months, which just ended, so I need to cancel her data plan. My son has no cellular data and doesn't complain: he's usually using his phone on our home WiFi, on the school's WiFi, or Xfinity hotspots. When he can't access the internet, he usually has a podcast, Pocket or some game to keep him happy. There was one time he was heading for a day-long swim meet with very long bus ride each way, so I bought him a gig of data for $5. There are times when calls don't go through, but so far I've chalked that up to my kids having their phones off or not charged, or they're just ignoring me. If signal problems become an issue, I'll have to reconsider.

Project Fi should work for me since I generally work from home and WiFi connected. I've adjusted most of my apps to only download over WiFi, so I expect my data usage to drop considerably and I hope to build up credits for times (like summer travel) when I might depend more on cellular data. As a fall back, I do have my work phone (Verizon iPhone) with unlimited hotspot. :)

There are no contracts with Project Fi and Republicwireless, and our phones are unlocked. We should be able to switch over to another service if things get bad.

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Jig, can't you just transfer GV back to a new GV number and use the forwarding etc.? I may be forgetting all the details of your setup, but you don't need to use GV as your primary number. I don't.

5. jigwashere

My Google Voice number is the only phone number I use. I only want 1 phone number. I'm not interested in call forwarding, anymore. I originally started using Google Voice to serve a specific purpose and integrating with Sprint made it more convenient. My needs and situation has change, and I continue to look for ways to balance saving money and maintaining convenience. Project Fi seems to offer both.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  6. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Is this the Moto G6? I didn't know any Moto G phone (especially not my Moto G5S Plus) was Fi approved. If that's the case, I might be interested in trying this myself. I planning on getting the Moto G6 for my middle son to replace his EXTREMELY aging Samsung Galaxy S3 (can you tell that although he's 17 years old he doesn't really care about mobile phones?). I might just give my Moto G5S Plus to my son and get the Moto G6 for me so I can try Google Fi. I know it's quite a ways out and not officially approved yet, but I'm a little nervous about the merger between Sprint and TMobile. So, I'd really like to have options if the post-merger my current unlimited Sprint plan goes belly-up in the new company.

7. jigwashere

Project Fi got the Moto G6 about a week ago and offers it for $200. It's a budget phone, so no bells and whistles, but should be decent. Mine arrives Friday.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

internetpilot, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I think you're going to realize real quick that compared to the Nexus 6 the G6 has quite a few significant bells and whistles! I was blown away with the differences between my Nexus 6 and my G5S Plus and the G6 is a better phone than my G5S Plus.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

9. jigwashere

My Moto G6 just arrived. I opened the box, swapped the SIM with one I already had for Project FI (I think I can hold on to the other as a backup) and added 64GB microSDXC card. It's powering up and checking for updates. :) It's a thin and narrow phone! Compared to my Nexus 6, it's a bit shorter, thinner, lighter, and much narrower.

I read that this came with a cheap case, but there wasn't anything in the box. I hadn't ordered one because I wasn't expecting to be in town, but my vacation plans are on hold. I just ordered the Poetic case and a tempered glass screen protector.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. jigwashere

Two questions: what can I do to reduce the number of ads I on my non rooted device, particularly in Tapatalk; and, how can I lock screen rotation in landscape mode?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk