My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Last year, when I travelled the northern parts of Iowa for RAGBRAI, I experienced similar issues. Sprint service vanished after day one. At that point I had 300mb of data roaming. I ran out and had to find a wifi hotspot to update my maps. Quickly downloaded an offline map of Iowa to finish our trip. Now Sprint data roaming is capped at a pathetic 100mb. I actually hope for the day Sprint merges with T-Mobile. Hopefully we will get some better coverage between the two. Miss the days where roaming data had to be kept at below half of your total monthly usage.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Darn Nexus 6 is in endless bootloop. I'll have to deal with that when I get home. Just stopped into Walmart in Sioux City, SD to buy a wrench and car battery. Finally back on the road and should be home by late afternoon.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, scjjtt, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Like for sympathy, not because I like bootloops. Have been lucky enough to have never had that with my 6p although many early editions did. Your other problem is why I recently switched from AT&T Pay-As-You-Go to Verizon Pay-As-You-Go. Yes, Verizon had a better deal-- $40 for 3 Gb and unlimited everything else. AT&T gave me 6GB for $45, but I never use even 3Gb so why pay that extra $5. Also, my wife was already on Verizon PAYG, so I get two lines, 3GB each, for $70. But the real reason I did it is reception. Sure there are cheaper deals out there, and they may even use Verizon's backbone some of the time, but Verizon's coverage just can't be beat in any place I've been (in Patagonia, AZ, for my radio listeners, it's the only game in town). The reason is that although Verizon and AT&T claim about the same percentage coverage (upper 90s), AT&T is talking about percentage of population and Verizon is talking about percentage of geography. AT&T is great in big cities and along the Interstate. But move even a little bit away from population centers and good luck. Sprint I don't know, but I know it's very spotty in my area. T-Mobile is hopeless here (that one I tried for a while).

Low price is great, but I want my phone to work without roaming as much as possible.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Also "Like" for sympathy. :vbfrown: Seems in line with all but a couple of vacations I've taken in my life, insofar as the glorious memories are accompanied by some (of varied sizes, most often of the automotive/mechanical/traffic flavor) disaster that seeks to derail the whole shebang before you get back within the city limits of the old homestead. :vbrolleyes: (Wrench and car battery?)

Keep remembering the good stuff! :thumbsup:

6. jigwashere

We're home now, having some homemade pizza and getting ready for bed soon.

I usually travel with a few tools to take care of minor repairs, but didn't have a wrench. This was my wife's vehicle - a 2013 Toyota Sienna, and all I had on this trip was a decent flashlight, multi-tool and Wera Kraftform Kompakt 25 screwdriver -- all tucked into the side pocket of the passenger door. Some time after replacing the car battery, I reached for something in the door pocket and found my lost work phone!!! :) My wife and I had both searched that pocket (it's a hard plastic pocket) multiple times without finding it. Apparently, it was flush to the inside edge and had gotten wedged/tucked under the lip so it couldn't be seen. It's hard to explain how it could have been missed there, but with the few pocket tools and flashlight rattling around, it appeared to us that there was nothing else there. Anyway, it's a huge relief!

Note that I was not previously able to enable "find my phone" on my enterprise-managed iPhone, but it looks like it's working now. Too bad I didn't have it set up prior to our trip. :mad:

Verizon seems to have the better network, but I'm still happy with my decision to go with Project Fi, especially since I can tether my work phone outside of coverage areas (when not lost, of course). If at some point I no longer have access to Verizon through work, I'll consider the Verizon pay-as-you go plan.

Hook, RickAgresta, headcronie and 3 others like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Glad to hear that the Vacation Gremlin coughed up your phone! :vbgrin:

Even if you'd had Find My Phone enabled, it would've only shown that it was located wherever the car was. The search area would've been narrowed but the phone still would've been lost, until the Gremlin decided the fun was gone from the game. :vbtongue:

Hook, jigwashere, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

also also a sympathetic like, my friend

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

My Nexus 6 just kept shutting down on me, even with a supposedly fully charged battery. I tried replacing several things on it (the battery, a couple of suspect ribbon cables, etc.) to no avail. That's why I picked up the Moto G5S Plus.

Mi An, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  10. jigwashere

I went into TWRP recovery and copied all the files (pictures, videos, etc) to my PC, then restored an ancient backup. It's working now. I'll probably restore to factory at some point, or try some other ROM.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk