My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm not sure I made the best decision going with the G6 over the X4 on Project Fi, but I'm still happy. I would've liked the quicker updates of the Android One, waterproof design, better camera, NFC, and whatnot, but the G6 was $50 cheaper (that's 20%) and has nice features/specs, too. I hope that since it's a bit newer than the X4 that it'll get more updates in the long run.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

jigwashere likes this.
  3. jigwashere

I'm getting close to cancelling my SERO account! I'm kind of attached to it, so having a hard time letting go. How silly is that? :rolleyes:

A quick compare:
    Project Fi should average $20 less/month than SERO
    Project Fi coverage should be better than SERO (auto-switching between Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular and WiFi).
    Project Fi calls to Canada and other countries - probably the same or less than SERO (I call Canada frequently during summer months)

Sprint Open World on my SERO plan gave me free calls, texts and 1GB data when traveling in Canada and Mexico.
    Project Fi charges me $0.20 per minute when traveling internationally, text is free, and data is $10/GB (same as in the US).
    I don't travel often, so probably not enough of a difference either way to matter.

Hmm.....dropping SERO seems obvious. :D

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I feel your pain, Jig. I had a hard time letting go of my SERO plan as well. I do miss the Sprint Open World package. I was dismayed when I lost that part. :(

5. jigwashere

I just cancelled my service. Good-bye, SERO!

6. jigwashere

Well, I cancelled SERO, but it didn't cancel me. I'm on chat and they said they posted a future cancel date to the end of the billing cycle -- 7/12. When I called previously, we discussed that and they said they'd cancel it immediately and prorate a refund for the difference. Maybe I should have ported out to Ting or something! :mad:

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. jigwashere

I got my first Project Fi bill. I'm shocked! No, I'm not surprised at the amount -- it's about what I expected. The shock? It's clear and sensible.

Okay, it's actually my second bill, since they charge a month ahead of time for calls and texts. My actual first bill was $20 (for 6/2 - 7/2), no data charge (data is charged after the fact), and $4.07 for taxes and fees all detailed and expected). Total = $24.07.

My current bill is itemized as follows:

Data (.953 GB) = $9.53
    Calls & texts = $20.00
    Taxes & fees = 3.44

Google Voice credit transfer = ($10.09)*
    *I'd been carrying a balance on Google Voice for years, which got whittled down as I made international calls.
    Credit for 5 days 23 hours of service (6/2 - 6/8) = ($3.95)

Not only is my bill easy to understand, with no activation fees or anything weird like I have to deal with on my Sprint accounts, but they actually credited me for the nearly 6 days I suspended my account in early June. Amazing.

8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

How are you liking the G6? I'm thinking of going with that for my son to finally replace his diehard Samsung Galaxy S3 (which is still happily chugging along running LineageOS Nougat). It was either that or the G5S Plus (like what I have), but even though the G5S Plus is probably a better featured phone in most aspects, it's a year older and still doesn't have Oreo. I'm a little tempted by the X4, but it's also an older phone.

I'm not sure about your SERO plan, but my Sprint offers free texting and "low speed" data roaming in most countries in Europe, Asia, and the Americas. We just went on a cruise to France and Italy, and I pretty much had LTE data like 90% of the time (on land). Surprisingly, there were no surprises on the Sprint bill on our return (unlike last time during our northern Europe cruise).

9. jigwashere

I do like the G6. The tall, narrow screen is fine for reading, but videos have to be watched in landscape or they're super tiny. Once in landscape, movies use the entire screen and give a similar experience to the Nexus 6 (although not as vibrant). The form factor fits nicely in my hand and is very pocket-able, even with the case.

I complained earlier in the thread that I thought Wifi might be weak relative to the Nexus 6 (and it might be), but the video issues I had don't seem to be Wifi related. It seems like Google News (and maybe other apps) struggle to play embedded video in landscape. If there's an embedded YouTube video, I simply click to open it in YouTube and play it there in landscape. No issues whatsoever. Like I said, I think it's software related.

The fingerprint reader gestures are pretty cool, but I sometimes have to try a few times to make them work right (user error). The funny thing is, when I pick up my Nexus 6, I start tapping and swiping on the bottom speaker as if it were a fingerprint reader. :rolleyes:

Sound quality is good.

Pairing with my Subaru Outback has had a few issues. My Nexus 6 failed to sync all its contact information (it only got about 24 or so, as I recall), but all bazillion contacts sync with the G6. I decided to wipe them and manually enter speed dial, since that's all I need. Anyway, every now and then the phone connection goes whacky. While I can stream with no problems, when on a phone call it'll spontaneously switch from handset to bluetooth. Very annoying. I usually solve the issue by turning bluetooth off and on, but sometimes have to completely turn off the car and reboot the phone. Repairing didn't help.

What else can I say? It has Oreo, which is cool. It has the Moto app, which is cool. Performance and battery are fine and it charges quickly. Oh, some apps seem to freeze, so I just do a quick 'Clear All' to close them and everything is fine. I'm half quessing the issue might happen while the phone is trying to switch between WiFi networks and/or cellular network.

Regarding Project Fi: So far, I'm very happy. My last bill was low and I'm on track for a $30 bill for July/August. While I spent a little time fiddling with settings so apps would primarily use WiFi, for the past month I haven't done anything special and use the phone/cellular network w/o worrying about data usage. I do pay attention, of course, but I don't worry. :)

10. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Since my son is an unusual teen and rarely uses his mobile phone, I've decided to let him keep using his Samsung Galaxy S3 (which is running Android 7.1.2 by way of LineageOS) until one of two things happens:

1. The Moto G6 is upgraded to Oreo 8.1.

or

2. Moto does what they did with the G5 series and releases a "S" (special edition) line in about September (which is when I bought my Moto G5S Plus over the Moto G5 Plus).

I don't know if Moto will do the "S" thing again, as that really screwed over their loyal early adopters of the G5 series, but companies have repeated dumber strategies. :rolleyes: But I'm pretty sure they'll update the G6 to Oreo 8.1 as soon as the Moto G5S and G5S Plus goes straight to Oreo 8.1 from Nougat 7.1.1, which is supposed to happen anytime now.

The reason why I want to wait for the G6 to get Oreo 8.1 is that my son uses the hotspot function a lot, so he needs his phone to be rooted (like his ancient S3 is and has been). It's really difficult to Moto phones back to stock condition to receive an OTA. Motorola doesn't release flashable stock firmware anymore, so you really have to jump through hoops to return to stock once you've rooted and ROM'd a Moto phone. Even if you make a backup of the stock ROM, it's highly likely that it won't boot when you restore it. So, I don't really care that much about the security updates (there's usually ways to correct those once your phone is rooted), but I do care about OS updates.

We'll see what happens. Who knows? Once the Moto G5S Plus gets Oreo 8.1, I might just buy him one of those since in a few ways the Moto G6 isn't actually upgrade to the Moto G5S Plus.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.