My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Okay, I did it again: I put my Nexus 6 and Moto G6 side-by-side while playing a video on Netflix.
    • Landscape video width is similar: the Moto G6 is about 5" wide and the Nexus 6 is about 5-1/8".
    • Landscape video height is similar: the Moto G6 is fills the screen at about 2.5" high and the Nexus 6 black boxes giving the video height 2-1/8".
    Wait a sec. What's going on here?

G6 = 129mm x 64mm
    N6 = 142mm x 65mm​

Something's getting stretched! Or shrunk....or distorted somehow.

The colors on the N6 are richer. I guess the G6 looks okay, but dang. Why did I put them side-by-side? :( Sigh....

Okay, the biggest disappointment is streaming on WiFi. It keeps cutting out! It's not my network -- at least, every other device (include the Nexus 6) seems to behave properly. But the G6 keeps dropping. Hmm.....okay, I switched the G6 to the 2.4GHz band and it seems more stable. Maybe I need to, um...lower my expectations? :mad:

lelisa13p, Mi An and Hook like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Jig's new mantra?

I saved hundreds…I saved hundreds…

Seriously, for a $200 unit, I'd say it's doing itself (and its' designers) proud
    again, my 2¢

Hook, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

If I didn't view my smartphones as ereaders that happened to have some communications features, I'd probably buy moto gs. To me the look like some of the best deals in the market, and have been for some time. Sadly, the Nexus 6 firesale gave me a cheap sampling of AMOLED and made my nighttime ereading experience 1000x better thanks to my ability to truly turn off (not merely roughly shade as I did before) blue subpixels. Hard to imagine going back now. In order to approach moto g value level, I've had to resort to the secondary market, which is risky, way more than it used to be.

I am sorry to hear about the odd wifi thing, hopefully that sorts itself out, but I applaud your stinginess and wish I didn't love amoled so much so I could join you.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G...-Plus-WiFi-and-Microphone-issues/td-p/4082825

Since a poster there compared this to g5 issues, also see this with some suggested fixes:

https://www.androidcentral.com/common-moto-g5-problems-and-how-fix-them

4. jigwashere

I just streamed a video over WiFi with no issues. I suspect the G6 simply needs a stronger signal than my Nexus 6. I'm currently on the 2.4GHz band, which I believe serves a greater distance from the router.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. jigwashere

I'm still pretty happy using Gboard, so I haven't bothered installing Swype. I did give up on Google Play Music for podcasts and installed Doggcatcher, though. I'll just stick with listening and managing podcasts on a single device.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  6. jigwashere

So far, not being rooted hasn't been an issue. I can only think of one app, Speed test, that had a few. The majority of my apps are paid. I don't do much in a browser, either, so haven't been bothered. I'm open to recommendations, though!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    scjjtt and Hook like this.
  7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I can tell you that from my experience going from a Nexus 6 to a G5S Plus, the Nexus 6 was better at switching between mobile data/wifi, as well as switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi. I discovered that only because my son's Apple iPhone 7 is EVEN WORSE at those things, so I had to separate my 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi APs with different SSIDs, because his iPhone was driving him nuts because it kept losing the 5 ghz wifi signal, but refused to switch to 2.4 ghz or mobile data. Any time he leaves the house, he has to force it to use mobile data or it will just sit there with an error message claiming a network is not available. And we even have a 5 bar Sprint signal at our Virginia house.

Now, strangely enough, we don't have this issue at all in our Florida house, which has the same number, brand, and model of routers/APs configured identically, so it's has to be something to do with the more closed floorplan/construction up north here, because the Florida house has a much more open floorplan.

But anyway, yeah, I noticed something very similar with my G5S Plus' radios. Now that I have the APs separated, I almost always get a much stronger 2.4 ghz signal on my G5S Plus.

I've been meaning to ask you a question -- do you know if the G6 is running 64-bit Oreo or 32-bit Oreo? Moto is notorious for putting 32-bit OS on a 64-bit hardware. Even now with Google only "supporting" 64-bit Oreo, the strong rumor (from reliable sources) is that our Oreo update is going to be 32-bit just like our Nougat ROM was.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  8. jigwashere

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

I have a different SSID for each band. I do have a second router set up as an AP and have wondered if I should suffix the SSID on the AP to get a better sense of which router I'm using.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. jigwashere

The Poetic case for my G6 arrived. It's a matte finish, so no more slipping. The case looks very nice, all the buttons work and I think it should do well protecting the phone.

I hate it.

Not really. But I do miss the look and feel of the naked phone.