My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That just locks the orientation of the home screen.

2. jigwashere

The Nexus 6 didn't have that feature (at least, I never found it). I swear I'm going to need a wrist strap to keep the phone from flying across the room after an overly aggressive karate chop! :D

scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Heh. I did worry about that at first. Once you do it enough times and feel it out so you can actuate minimal speed or movement, it's less of a concern. You can either do a very short chop at higher speed, or a longer chop more slowly, whichever feels safer. You also don't have to chop in any particular direction, you can hold the phone nearly straight up or down and never throw outward.

I tend to go with fast short chops, just a flick of the wrist and the phone pointed up, FWIW. Beware of where the LED is pointed though, you can blind yourself. :vboops:

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

I'm setting up everything new, which means installing from scratch. The only 'backup' I brought over was Nova Launcher backup. It quickly set up my 2 home screens with shortcuts, leaving off any for apps that I hadn't installed. My Nexus 6 did have a dozen or so apps I no longer use.

There were a few apps I regularly used on the Nexus 6 that I haven't installed as I experiment with the installed Google equivalents.
    • Google Play Music can take over for DoggCatcher for my podcasts.
    • Google Play Music can also replace Poweramp Pro. The Moto G6 includes an app called Dolby Audio. Dolby Audio lets you set up sound profiles for different media (movie, music, game, voice and two custom profiles).
    • I'm trying out the built-in keyboard instead of Swype.
    • I haven't installed 1Weather in favor of whatever it already on the Moto G6.
    I haven't decided if I want to install DroidTV on my Moto G6, or just leave it on my Nexus 6 and transfer the videos to my PC to watch on any of my devices using Plex.

It looks like the only built-in launcher is the Moto App Launcher. Shouldn't there be some kind of base Oreo launcher? Right now, I can only choose between the Moto App Launcher and Nova Launcher. I've always been happy with Nova, but the Moto launcher seemed pretty good. I might play with it a bit more. Then again....why mess with perfection? :newpalm:

I also need to spend time cleaning up all the app notification settings. I do want certain notifications, of course, but this is nuts. :confused:

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Oreo notifications take a bit of getting used to, and a fair bit of customization as well. Enjoying reading of your adventures. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jigwashere likes this.
  7. jigwashere

The naked Moto G6 is a slippery little bugger. I'm still waiting for the screen protector and case to arrive, so I need to be a little careful. Holding it in my hand isn't really an issue, but if I set it on my lap or chest, it can easily slip and fall. Being naked is nice, though, so I stripped my Nexus 6 down to its birthday suit, too. It's not nearly as slippery, but without the case and screen protector, it feels like a new device.

The Nexus 6 is big compared with the G6. Really big. For example, G6 fits in the cupholder in my car with no trouble. With the Nexus 6, I really needed a dash mount just to keep the phone from bouncing around in the car. Using the G6 on its own, I'm quite satisfied with its size, but when I bring out the Nexus 6 to compare them, I begin to wonder if I shouldn't have gotten a bigger device. But the comparison isn't fair. Both phones are quite nice and I'm enjoying the G6. After all, size doesn't matter; it's what you do with it that counts! :rolleyes:

At first glance, I started to wonder if certain aspects of the G6 were a downgrade from the Nexus 6, but I need to be careful when comparing technical specifications. I'm just not good at that. For example, the Nexus 6 sports a 13 megapixel camera while the G6 is 12. Screen resolution and pixel density are other specs that made me wonder if I downgraded. I'm just not going to worry about all that. Like I said, I've been enjoying the G6 and I'm really happy it only cost $200. I glanced over at other smartphones (especially when my wife started thinking she needed a new iPhone), and I gasp at the idea of moving up a level to $400, $600 or up to $1000. Are those devices really that much better (if the answer is 'yes,' please don't tell me!!!)?

What about things that are missing from the G6, like NFC and dual speakers? Well, I never did use NFC that much and the single speaker on the G6 sounds fine to my ears. Besides, I usually use headphones or pair with my Subaru.

The Subaru! That's another interesting difference. I think I posted when I first got the Subaru that after pairing the Nexus 6, I could only import something like the first 15 or so contacts. I struggled and struggled, finally giving up and just setting up the few speed dial numbers I really care about. The G6, however, immediately imported all my contacts -- no problem! Well, one problem. That's way too many! I'll need to clear out the contact list on my Subaru and set up those speed dial numbers. I don't need the distraction when my car gets confused about which contact to call and whether I want their mobile, home or office number. I don't regularly call that many people. A handful of speed dial numbers is more than enough. My only complaint is that the Subaru keeps a separate speed dial list for each device.

I do have a tentative concern about radio power and the G6's ability to switch between networks. While sitting out on my deck, I placed my Nexus 6 and Moto G6 side-by-side to compare streaming video from Xfinity. Both devices connected to the 5GHz WiFi band, but the signal was a bit weak. The Moto G6 appeared to drop the signal a few times, but the Nexus 6 had no problems. Ignoring the signal strength comparison, I just don't think I should've gotten a streaming error on the G6. If it couldn't hold the 5GHz band, then it should have immediately connected to the 2.4GHz band which has the stronger (farther reaching) signal. Maybe there was something else going on with the G6 that caused the issue. Whatever it was, it cleared up while I was playing with settings. I wasn't able to determine the exact issue, nor replicate it.

Getting back to the screen, the 18:9 aspect ratio is interesting. When I consider computer monitors and tablets, I avoid 16:9 and look for 16:10 or even 4:3. On the G6, however, I haven't found it to be an issue at all. I do notice it, especially since I'm using Moto's fingerprint sensor to navigate (one-button nav feature) eliminating the virtual buttons for even more screen real estate. In portrait mode, I have a lot more vertical space for web browsing or reading. But the screen is so skinny, that pictures and videos are really pretty small. Since most screen specifications cover diagonal, resolution or whatever, I can't give specifics on the difference in portrait mode screen width in inches, but the G6 is more than 1/4" narrower. On a small screen, that's a lot! Switching to landscape minimizes the differences, though. While I do notice it, I try not to be bothered by it. The differences in screen size and shape can be both an advantage and a compromise, depending on use case.

I did mention that comparing the Nexus 6 to the Moto G6 is unfair, right? I'll try to stop. :)

8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mi An, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  9. jigwashere

I wish I were a smart, frugal tech buyer, but I'm just a cheap bastard. :rolleyes:

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

potayto, potahto