My experiment with Project Fi and the Moto G

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 3, 2018.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'm at least one full version behind you, jig, but --- nevermind, you want landscape…

there were apps that would do that but for sure that's an option in Nova Launcher

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm using Nova Launcher Pro, but it's not working.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3. jigwashere

I just installed my old copy of Tapatalk Pro which doesn't have the ads that I was seeing in plain old Tapatalk.

Nova Launcher lets me lock the home screen in landscape. I want to force everything to landscape using the auto rotate icon in the notification shade. The only options in this device are portrait and auto rotate.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. jigwashere

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. jigwashere

scjjtt likes this.
  6. jigwashere

I just read that if I decide to leave Project Fi, they'll offer to put me back on Google Voice. That's nice! :) From what it appears, I need to somehow integrate Android Messenger with Hangouts in order to have synchronized message capability on my other devices (e.g., desktop PC, Chromebook). One of my favorite GV features was being able to send/receive text messages on my PC. I'm a bit nervous because Hangouts uses data. I can't imagine it's much data, but I'll have to keep an eye on it. Project Fi support chat said I shouldn't be charged for that, but I don't know how they can differentiate Hangouts text from other data.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  7. jigwashere

You're right! The fingerprint reader had come in handy not just for lodging in and authenticating me on some of my apps, the Moto app lets me get rid of the on screen nav buttons and use the fingerprint sensor instead. This effectively gives me more screen space. It takes a bit of getting used to, but touching the sensor, long press, longer press, left and right swipes do the navigation.

My son raves about that feature, plus the chop chop action to turn in the flashlight and quick twist to activate the camera. There are a few other Moto features I plan to try, too.

My son is also jealous I have Oreo. It doesn't look like his Moto G5+ will get it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Mi An, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig, I use Mighty Text to send texts from my Laptop, Chromebook & Android Tablet.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

You need to go into Nova settings tap screen orientation and select "Force Landscape." Not a lot of experience with it-- I always use portrait as I hate landscape for most apps and videos go landscape no matter what. However, on a casual test just now it seems to work.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I couldn't remember if the Nexus 6, being moto, had karate chop flashlight or not, so I wasn't sure if that would be new to you. It seems like a small thing, but it's very handy. I was messing with my nexus 4 a bit ago, needed a flashlight and chopped with it without thinking, then sat there dumbly staring at it wondering why it didn't turn on. I don't relish the thought of someday leaving moto and losing that, I use it nearly everyday.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.