My ereaders

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by tmedvick, Sep 14, 2011.

1. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

So, I have been using a variety of e-readers lately and thought I'd share some thoughts. I use these things as readers, not spare computers.

Barnes and Noble Touch Screen Nook:

Simply the best reading experience there is. Contrast is terrific, page turns are snappy with little flash and virtually no distraction. This has become my main reader. The size is perfect, the weight completely negligible and the overall experience absolutely top-notch. Compared to the Kindle 3, I love the form factor (nothing but screen and bezel) and the fact that I can easily reverse the buttons form forward to back.

The wi-fi has issues connecting to networks that require a log-in (at least the ones I have tried) requiring time and a few attempts before connecting. But this is an ereader (hidden web browser notwithstanding) and wi-fi is a decidedly intermittent need.

Highlighting is simple, and note-taking is nice as well, the on-screen keyboard is surprisingly responsive and usable. I am a big fan of a separate notebook for my notes, though, so this is less important to me. If you are a big note-taker you might prefer the Kindle.

Kindle 3

For my usage, this is a close second to the Nook. I do not like the hardware keyboard, it always gives me its existence was one of the things that pushed me to the original Nook over the Kindle. Note taking is easier than the nook touch, but highlighting is harder. The reading experience is otherwise nearly identical to the Nook.

Nook Color

My Nook Color is the best color reader I have had. Though it has been relegated to magazines and occasional use in the face of the new Nook, there is something really nice about this little machine. I think of it currently as a marriage saver. When I am reading in bed, while my wife is trying to sleep the Nook color keeps the lights off and my wife no longer threatens to kill or divorce me .

The Nook Color handles magazines beautifully and has a great screen with a wide range of brightness levels. I have never found myself unable to see the screen due to sunlight, but I don't sit at the beach reading much. Flitered sunlight through the tree supporting my hammock has never been a problem.

My complaint about the NC is the glossiness of the screen. On a true tablet, I understand the desire to be flashy, but an e-reader should have a more matte finish. B & N does sell an excellent matte protector that addressed this.

I don't find that I use the browser or apps on the Nook Color much. I might read email, but even that proved more distracting from reading than beneficial. For a while, I had my NC hacked and rooted, but found i wasn't using it for it's tablet-ness much, so I returned to stock.

Nook Color vs E-Ink? I'd lean toward e-ink with a clip light. but I'd miss my National Geographic.

Ipad & Ipad 2

I never enjoyed on an Ipad: Ibooks, Nook, or Kindle. It isn't awful, by any stretch, but having used the others, I just never liked the experience. I never found the weight an issue, and certainly found them completely livable in a pinch, but every other e-reading experience I've had has been better. The brightness of the screen, or the matte protector has never delivered the experience I wanted.

If carrying a single device were of paramount importance. A tablet would almost certainly be a fine plan. I do not need a converged device and the compromises made in the reading experience on tablets have left tablets (currently Touchpad) as my backup.

Touchpad

IPad redux. Certainly workable, but not what I am looking for. Also, there is no Nook app, only Kindle, so my options are that much more limited on the Touchpad.

Phones (Epic 4g and Nexus S 4g)
    Ultimately a back-up, but they have proven good enough to wait out a storm between golf holes. The Nexus S is more pleasant, the thickness of the Epic and the brightness of the screen makes for a more difficult experience.

So, just some thoughts I thought I'd share.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Thanks for the comparison. Re: the Nook Color, can you read it in the dark without eyestrain? I find some devices are too bright even when turned down, making night reading uncomfortable for more than short periods of time.

I think e-ink is as good as it can get for text already. I also think that the ultimate ereader for magazines has yet to be built, and this is probably the next growth area.

3. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

I read my Nook Color in the dark all the time with no eye strain. The minimum brightness level is perfect for reading in bed. When I was using a Palm TX for my reader, it was always too bright even at minimum, but the Nook Color seems to have gotten that right.

4. LandSurveyor

My old Palm IIIc was perfect for night reading (but lousy in the extreme outside.)

My Dell Axim gives me the headache even at the lowest setting.

Glad the Nook works so well.

5. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

By and large, color reading programs do get that right. With black screen with white type on my Kindle app on my Nexus One, I ca get it dim enough (this is a separate reader brightness, not device brightness) that the type appears grey. I find that preferable to reading in the dark than my Kindle with a book light on it.I like Aldiko's brightness adjustment which just allows you t run your thumb up and down the left margin, adjusting brightness on the fly.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You never tried BrightnessFix.NG on the TX? :newpalm:

7. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

I sure did use the brightness fix which made the TX great for reading at night.:newpalm: Before brightness fix it was like looking into a flashlight.

8. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

Yes, I read without eye strain in the dark on my Nook Color. It is really an excellent experience. When I first got it, I was very surprised with how well it worked for nighttime reading.

The Kindle App for my Touchpad can lower the backlight beyond what is offered by HP. So the brightness there is no problem either.

9. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

iBooks on the ipad has the same thing. It is nice because even on the dimmest setting the ipad can light up an entire room at night!:eek:

10. LandSurveyor

That's good to know. If mine will ever get here.