My Droid Has Become Unstable

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid and Droid 2' started by questionfear, Apr 27, 2011.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Have to say, having owned a Droid for over a year...there's a good shot my next phone won't be a Moto.

Don't know if it is just general malaise or something Moto did, but my phone has been getting more and more unstable. More worrisome is that my wife's cousin has a Droid, and we have both had similar issues. Indicates either Moto royally messed up Froyo or the hardware is having a hissy fit.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Doesn't sound good. What's it doing?

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Generally slow. It's new favorite trick is force closing contacts while I am trying to make a call, and for extra special occasions it has TWICE REBOOTED WHILE IN A CALL.

Luckily neither of the in-call reboots were while I was driving, or the damn thing would be roadkill.

I blame Moto over Android as a whole, simply because my NOOKcolor with hackery is incredibly stable...so it's something Moto did that caused this, not Android.

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

QF, have you considered trying your device with a fresh, custom ROM image? That might wipe the slate clean.

One other possibility is that the things you describe can sometimes be the result of an internal hardware fault developing.

5. LandSurveyor

Any feel for how widespread this may be. As in is this just a Droid-specific thing or are other Moto devices similarly affected?

I assume others may chime in.

6. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

I have had a couple incidents on my Droid that QF mentioned. Not happening daily as yet, but something is different. I think it's because my contract update is soon, so it decided it's time to quit.

I still love my Droid, but considering the possibility of going with the HTC next.

cassi

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

New ROM is on my radar as soon as life calms down...this is just really unfortunate. Might go Samsung or HTC next as well.

8. LandSurveyor

I sometimes wonder if some of these problems we have are simply because of the "natural shocks that flesh is heir to." In other words, we carry these things around with us and they are jarred about on a daily basis.

I still think some of the problems I had with my Motozine were probably due to something as simple as the battery momentarily losing touch with the contacts.

All of which, I think, makes a good case for choosing ruggedized devices.
    Or still better, making all smartphones more life-proof in the first place.

We all drop phones eventually. We're lucky if we can keep our phones from getting wet in the occasional spring shower. Personal electronics are different from stereos, TVs and desktop computers. Those things are made to live a stationary life indoors. Smartphones, PDAs and music players are in a different category.

9. critidoc

critidoc Newbie

I have had nothing but trouble with the droid2, have been through 7 phones in 3 weeks. Verizon kept sending me refurbished phones that were broken.
    Screen going dark when trying to dial & use programs was a common problem, dropping calls, dropping bluetooth and no longer connecting, DOA, can't hear incoming calls, can't hear ringtones, white bar across the bottom of the screen and unable to get at dial, answer phone, etc. When the phone works it is great, but that is infrequent.