My drift experience

Discussion in 'Palm' started by jobooth321, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jobooth321

jobooth321 Mobile Deity

Just thought I'd post this as an informational thread which might help some others. I know the "dreaded digitizer drift" is an issue with a lot of TX's out there and hope this might help.

I've had my TX for a little over a year now. I've used the piss out of this thing on a daily basis. I rely on it very heavily. I love my TX! hehe Anyway, I've had no problems with it other than the random and rare software incompatibility.

The last few days I've experienced a sudden problem with drift. I've been testing with note pad as I can write all over the screen and visually measure where the palm is registering my input. At the top of the screen it could vary by up to a quarter of an inch between where my stylus is and where the TX registers the stylus. Suck! My TX was suddenly a serious headache and almost unusable. I downloaded and tested digie and digi fix to no avail. I soft reset over and over. Today I decided to really troubleshoot this and made a backup to nvbackup. I did a hard reset and the drift was gone. Whew! At least now I know it's not hardware. I restored from my backup and the drift was back. I started uninstalling applications, soft resetting after each uninstall. I uninstalled: ezftp, ftp server, mergic ping, palm vnc, enigma, and dreamway which were all recently installed in the last week. No change.

You wanna know what the culprit was? DA Launcher. As soon as I uninstalled it and my 3 hacks the drift was gone. I'm now going to start reinstalling all the other apps that I uninstalled and see if they cause any trouble. I'll let you know if I find any more info. I'm determined that this isn't hardware related.

fwiw...

UPDATE: Turns out DA launcher is not the culprit. The drift has just been growing worse over time. Nothing I do now helps. I've done a hard reset and the drive immediately comes back now. It doesn't matter what apps I have on it. I calibrate the touchscreen which keeps the drift at bay until it powers down. As soon as I power it up, the drift is back with a vengance. SUCK!

Oh, my power button has suddenly gotten VERY tempermental. Aarggh!

2. donbes

donbes Mobile Deity

great to know, i have been noticing a very small digitizer drift as well on my device and i do use da launcher

3. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Thanks for the info, Jobooth321 :)

4. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Another thanks jobooth. I remember reading somewhere the other day that someone reported after performing a hard reset their drift went away as well. Though, I'm not sure they identified the culprit, hopefully this will help them in that endeavor. Many thanks! :)

5. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

Good for you Jobooth321. Glad you solved your problem.
    Please post again next week to report on the situation, as it may return to trouble you again. Hopefully not!

I have never used DA Launcher, only Hi-Launcher and pToolSet, and yet I have problems too.
    Digitizer problems seem to be different with many of us, but if your personal experience has a better outcome than mine then I am happy for you.

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Now this thread is another example of why I love this place! Recently, my T3 started to show a very erratic digitizer behavior. No new software, no new mods, nothing new at all, yet the digitizer was shot to hell and beyond. I read this thread, and honestly I first thought "this guy must be nuts!", but then I tried it anyway and deleted DALauncher (which I have kept on my T3 for years, although I never use it). A soft reset later, the digitizer was ok again! No idea why this happens, or why it's happening now, after keeping DALauncher on y T3 for over a year, but it did help my T3.

jobooth321, you're the man! Thanks a lot for sharing a most useful tip! :)

7. donbes

donbes Mobile Deity

another good case for why you should not keep software you dont need

8. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

I use DALauncher + daMemoPad, SimpleClock and VolumeDA and I've not had any problems with drift.

Maybe its a combination of DALauncher and certain DAs or a combination of DALauncher and other apps?

9. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Yes, thank you for the info, jobooth321. It's interesting that people are starting to see this.

(BTW, jobooth321, you used the what out of it? My T5 didn't come with ANY of that, for which I am quite thankful!) ;)

10. slee999

slee999 Palm and Pocket PC User!!

I had drift problems as well. Hard reset and it was better. The TX seemed to retrain itself over a few days, and now my drift is gone. I thought my culprit was Avantgo. It's the one program (other than digifix) that I never reinstalled.
    FWIW, I bought powerdigi and think it really hepled!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.