music (mp3) issue while playing

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Windows Mobile)' started by neppie, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

I still suspect it may be a buffering issue, esp. if you are playing the mp3 from a card. How much Program Memory do you have free when you are using your mp3 player?

2. neppie

neppie Mobile Enthusiast

I did a little test and copied the music files to the machine instead of the storage card. Unfortunately no improvement there.
    Not sure where I can see program memory during playing, otherwise I would have checked it as well.
    Strange though, they advertise the thing with multimedia capabilities ... I don't even want to know how it would be when playing video's.

3. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

To check for the amount of free program memory, tap on the windows icon (on my device it is at the bottom left). Then, tap Settings. Next, tap on System. Finally, tap on Memory.

It should pull up a screen the shows "Storage" and "Program". Program is the memory used to run software. That column will tell you how much is in use and how much is free.

4. neppie

neppie Mobile Enthusiast

unfortunately the HTC Snap is not a touchscreen device.
    Tried finding something similar like you said.

What I found was (translated from dutch as my device is in Dutch):

program memory: 111.66 mb
    in use: 56.36 mb
    free: 55.30

Is that what you meant?

Also watched my cpu during playback ... the player had a cpu between 23 and 30%. It didn't show any peaks during playback.

5. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

You have a lot more program memory than I do. You "should" be good as far as playing mp3s. I forgot, did it do this prior to upgrading your ROM? Oh, and what is your processor?

6. neppie

neppie Mobile Enthusiast

processor is msm7225-528mhz.

Starting to believe it is a codec issue somehow.
    No other device (computer with XP, Vista, 7, ipod, nokia phone, etc.) has problems with playing my mp3 files ... this device (HTC Snap) has. Is it possible Windows Mobile 6.5 is using an inferior mp3 codec? Is it possible to install additional codecs on Windows Mobile?
    Some files that play well on other devices do not play well on this one (strange sounds, you know what I mean when you have a bad mp3?) Sometimes a song skips a minute during playback. It is very rare but it happens sometimes.

Already asked HTC support for possibility to downgrade to windows mobile 6.1 (they didn't include the software with the phone). Wondering if it has the same issues. Unfortunately I upgraded my device immediately after purchase so I can't compare at this moment.

7. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

I am running 6.5 as well, and I do have the occasional pause while playing mp3s. I had the same issue under 6.1. The only other thing I can think is to find a copy of TCPMP for your HTC, and see if it still skips. The problem on my Incite is not bad enough to warrant another media player.

8. neppie

neppie Mobile Enthusiast

okay, I have found the website to download it from.
    I will install it soon to see if it will reduce the pauses.

9. neppie

neppie Mobile Enthusiast

I installed TCPMP and it didn't have any result.
    We can assume though it's not a buffer issue. I increased the buffer in TCPMP but it didn't have any results.
    I believe TCPMP is using its own codec so we can exclude that as well.
    Something is happening on my machine once in a while that makes the software pause/hickup during music play. But what is it?
    Grrr, I hate things like this. Next time Nokia again I'm afraid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.