Mrs scjjtt Desktop gets replaced

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scjjtt, Aug 10, 2019.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

We've been talking about it forever - our Desktop is simply old & slow. I have a call into our son for a date we got our first Android phones so I can walk backward in years from that.

Today Mrs scjjtt said we need to do it! I've been watching Costco but they haven't been having sales for my price range. I wanted an i5 or i7 for around $500 (good luck finding an i7 for $500). When I went to Costco they had an HP laptop for $150 off, for $550 & it was an i5. They also had a Desktop for $550 but it was an i3 but overclocked (I contacted my IT friend - which he explained the i3 would be a little faster working on 1 thing but the laptop with the i5 would do better in multitasking).

So - we purchased the laptop. Pictures & review will follow tomorrow. Below are specs of the two from Costco.

Mrs scjjtt says I procrastinate. I have no idea why she says that. She expressed that we should replace our Desktop & within hours I got it done for her!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Congrats! That's a nice laptop and not only will the i5 be better but you will be amazed at having an SSD drive. I assume it has an SD card reader for expanding storage, but since you are a heavy user of Google Drive, you probably don't need it. Hope you and your wife enjoy the new laptop (although I have no idea why you didn't buy one for each of you :vbwink: -- I can't share a computer with Mrs. Hook, she wouldn't let me change anything. :vbeek: :vbrolleyes:).

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Congratulations! It looks like a winner and I'm sure she'll be happy with it. Remember to create an administrator account for it and a standard user account. She should only log in as a standard user for day-to-day usage. For security purposes, only log in as administrator when adding or making significant configuration changes.
    I don't like sharing computers, either, but with my kids did it for a few years by having separate user IDs.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Congratulations, Scott! Looks like a very good purchase. I too am surprised that you'll share the laptop. As Hook and jig said, I don't like to do so, and I avoid it whenever possible. Mrs. R has her own laptop, but that was imposed by me because she's very disorganized with her files and I don't like that kind of clutter on my computer, even if it's a different user. Her desktop is literally overfilled with icons, and a lot of them are folders named "to be organized" or something like that. I have tried and ocassionally have gone in and arranged her stuff in a structured manner, but that's just a temporary fix, and within 2 or 3 months everything's cluttered again.

The SSD is probably the best option for any computer. Compared to traditional drives, boot- and wake-up times are reduced to just a few seconds (typically around 10 seconds), apps launch lightning fast, and the laptop becomes less fragile, as it doesn't have a spinning disk anymore.

I just checked the specs of your new laptop (see << here >> ) and the SDD is the newer NVMe M.2 form factor. This means it's even faster than SATA SSDs, smaller, and costs less, with prices continually getting lower. If you ever need more storage you can upgrade to a larger drive for very little money. I did that when I purchased my laptop earlier this year. It came with dual drives: 128GB M.2 + 2TB spinning. I swapped the 128GB drive for a 256GB unit, and installed Windows and all my work apps there, so they will launch really fast and leave enough free storage for system and app swap files. My games take up too much space, so I installed them on the 2TB spinning drive. No big deal, I can accept waiting a few extra seconds for my games to launch, and after all, this is supposed to be a work laptop ;)

5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks guys but I see a common "thread" in this thread :) - everyone's concern about sharing. I hardly use the "family" computer. All of you are right about the downside of sharing. At least the number of desktop icons on the family computer are not as many as on her school computer (by the way she just got a new Lenovo Thinkpad a couple weeks ago - I'll share the specs on that later). I only use the family computer to do TurboTax for taxes each year & sometimes Ouicken.

If I do use the "family computer" I quickly open up Chrome & then sign into my Chrome login & I am transfered to what I use on all my other computers and Chromebook.

For years I used the computer to record TV Shows off of my network & from a digital box in HD & then after midnight the computer would convert the shows to manageable mp4's which I was able to access from the network on all our devices or stream to a TV. I am giving up on that - & just waiting until the last season of SHIELD comes on Netflix or whatever. It was become a pain to bother my friend for him to fix things when software changed & it wasn't working. Plus the software that would convert the HD Show stopped automatically deleting the original recording after it made the mp4. An hour show would be 7 gb whereas the mp4 would be around 450 mb. It was nice while it lasted (about 10 years). It was nice to be able to watch the shows I missed with commericals removed but I don't want this new laptop running all the time to try to keep this up.

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

6. raspabalsa

This should be good for another 10 to 15 years:

The concept looks very nice. Netgear ReadyNAS devices have software optimized for sharing and streaming, so setup is usually simpler than under Windows and performance is excellent. Plus there's no software bloat to deal with, and you get expandable storage.

I haven't used TVMosaic, but I may get a compatible TV tuner for my 8TB Netgear NAS and give it a try. I already have most of the devices seen in the picture below :D

TV Mosaic.jpg

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Your better half got a nice computer! :) My better half, is running around with a hand me down from a 3rd party which I refurbished. Our newest computer in the house, is a 2012 model. With maxed out RAM, and SSDs, it suits our needs. The computers were free, the RAM was included, and the SSDs are $20 a pop on Amazon. For me to refurbish the systems and load the OS and necessary software - about 2 hours. Well worth my time for a functional system with minimal cost.

As for your media and streaming, I'm content to amass large quantities of data. I don't have a video capture card / cable tuner card. I do rip from DVD, and those can be 7GB per disk. I don't use a laptop to house this, nor do I use a NAS. I've got a dedicated server, with up to 7 drive bays. Costs me ~$8 per month in electricity to run this 24/7. Currently spinning 12TB storage. A 4TB drive costs ~$100 bucks. $25 per TB of space is pretty trivial. My downside is, I have to wait for our shows to appear on DVD before I can watch them. Far longer than waiting for Netflix, etc. I just avoid spoilers at all costs. :)

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

For the last year or so, every time I've been to the movies I've had to shut my eyes and cover my ears to avoid watching/hearing any Marvel trailers. It did pay off: I had no idea how Captain Marvel, Infinity War and Endgame were going to be :newpalm:

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Have you considered getting your own nuclear reactor to power your server? :eek:

10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I've never felt a strong need to worry about this. I've rarely encountered previews that revealed more that a few lines of dialog and most times previews are misleading. I've almost never felt, when I saw a movie for which I had seen advance previews, that anything in the preview had been a true spoiler.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.