Mrs scjjtt battery catches on fire

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Nov 19, 2018.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Today, at the Jr Hi School, Mrs scjjtt started to feel the LG G4 get hot in her pocket. She thought the screen was left on but it wasn't. She opened the back & watched the battery begin swell, then it started smoking & the outside started melting. Somewhere in all of that she got the battery out & it continued to smoke & burn on the floor. It provided a lot of entertainment for Jr Hi students & staff. I'm glad it didn't exploded in her pocket.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Wow, that must have been really scary! I better not tell Mrs. raspy about this, it's exactly what she feared could have happened to her Z Play. I'm glad your wife is ok. It's a very good thing that she thought about removing the battery in time (and acted on that thought!). I'm sure Mrs raspy would have tossed the whole phone out of the nearest window, even if it had a removable battery (which the ZP doesn't have). Did the G4 suffer any damage?

lelisa13p, Hook, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Oh wow...that's no bueno! I had that happen with a couple of spare lithium batteries stored outside of their devices (the swelling -- not the fire/melting). Was it the genuine LG battery? If so, I'd be contacting LG support (no matter how old the phone is).

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 4 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Scott, very glad your wife is okay; and, yes, quick thinking on her part to remove the battery :newpalm:

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  5. scjjtt

Thanks everyone - Mrs scjjtt is a pretty cool customer. She removed the battery & tossed it. No damage to the phone.

The battery was a 3rd party replacement. I got it last year in July & put the date on the battery, as you can see in the pics, before using it. IMG_1316_20181119_181555.jpeg IMG_1319_20181119_181527.jpeg

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm so glad she's okay! Ask her what she was saying when she noticed the hot phone, then call out "liar, liar, pants on fire!" ;)

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

As others have said, so glad your wife wasn't injured. At a year and a half old, that battery was either defective or that's a replacement brand to stay away from. :vbeek:

8. scjjtt

Mrs scjjtt said that if that would have happened while in her pants pocket - she would had to take her pants off & that would have really provided some entertainment for those Jr Hi's!

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

if I had the time, I'd consider contacting them, if I was in Scott's position. particularly since they appear to offer a 24 month warranty:
    upload_2018-11-20_8-22-43.png

lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You really should tame down your voicemails and texts to your wife. After a while, her phone simply cannot handle all the love given to her, and not the phone, and it simply erupts in a fit of frustration. :newpalm: