Mrs. Raspy gets a Moto Z Play!

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by raspabalsa, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

The verizon case has a small tab looking thing on the back at the bottom. For the functional mods, it fits into a little gap that I guess one uses to detach the mod, but the style mods don't have that gap. I seem to recall a thread where people trimmed that tab back (and documented their work) and were able to use style mods with it. I've also read that there are multiple revisions of the verizon case where they fixed the problem for cases made later. Maybe you get lucky and get a later revision, but if not, a little touch up work might make it compatible.

I agree, the incipio case does have a higher quality sort of look to it.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thank you, Mi An. I'll search for the thread. I haven't yet received the case, but if it's just trimming, then I don't anticipate any problem.

I'm somewhat concerned about the main camera. It has this huge circular glass or plastic cover that practically touches whatever surface the phone is resting on. The style back is so thin that this cover protrudes enough to make scratches highly probable. I don't know what this cover is made of, but I wouldn't expect it to be some exotic, scratch-resistant material (GG or sapphire ??). I'm thinking about slapping a plastic adhesive protector on top of it, test for any camera quality degradation, if none, then leave it there. If yes, then maybe a can place some material (paper, plastic, or cardboard) to raise the style back one milimiter or so so the camera will not be in contact with any surface. Or maybe there are 3rd-party thicker style backs? I bet someone has done something about this already. I'll have to do some homework.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Verizon actually fixed the bumper issue-the first round of bumper cases had a problem, but they fixed it and they all should work now (I have a later-gen one and it works fine with my back).

Congrats on the phone to Mrs Raspy! I love my Z Force, it's probably my favorite phone of all time. Mileage varies, but I like the front fingerprint sensor because it makes it easy for me to wake it while it's on my desk. I never thought of it as a "home button" so I don't seem to hit it by accident.

What's the quality like on the red back? Verizon phones came with the wood backs but I was thinking of picking up the red or black for variety/better grip.

lelisa13p, Mi An, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

Thank you, qf. My wife is very happy, and she is quite satisfied with the fingerprint sensor. She doesn't confuse it with the home button, so I guess I'm the one with the mixed up wiring in my head.

Still can't get used to the amazing battery life. My wife unplugged her ZP late last night, used it all morning, and right now (1:30 pm) it still has 75% charge. Unbelievable. My V10 had dropped to 40% by noon.

It looks very high quality, although being cloth I don't think it's heavy duty at all. I'm not sure it improves grip, as the hands tend to grip the smooth sides, not so much the back. Besides, the cloth's texture is not so marked to improve grip by much. It has visual appeal, although it would not be my choice for a phone back.

Sent from my LG V10 with Tapatalk

scjjtt, Mi An and lelisa13p like this.
  5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I am sure the Z Play is a monster on battery life, my Z Force is amazing and it doesn't have the same capacity as the Z play! I can consistently get 5.5-6hrs of screen-on time, usually off charger from around 5am to 10pm, and still have 15-25% left.

Mi An and lelisa13p like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Amazon put the flagship Moto Z on sale for $500 just after Thanksgiving. So long as they've had it in stock, this price has stuck. That's just $50 more than the retail of the Z Play -- that's a pretty big spec boost for $50. On top of that, there are roughly 50 snapdragon 625 devices now and about 1/3 use AMOLED, and I think all are much more aggressively priced and a lot of them have some premium feature or another (like dual cameras or 128GB storage). I take the above as evidence that the Z Play won't remain at $450 much longer, though that may be wishful thinking. I was sure wrong about Nexus 6P pricing.

On the other hand, it seems to be a very popular device worldwide. I get the impression Moto's marketing attention for the Z Play in particular may be focused elsewhere, so I may be waiting some time for a good price cut in the U.S. That's fine. I've out-waited Lenovo and Motorola on pricing before. I beat them both so bad they had to join forces before they'd try for a rematch. :vbrolleyes:

Interestingly I did discover the Chinese variant (1635-03) of the Z Play comes with 64GB of storage, no U.S. LTE though (whatever happened to RF360? one radio, worldwide bands). With external storage I feel okay about 32GB internal.

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 3 others like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Verizon's version of the Z Play launched with time exclusive and $50 cheaper than the GSM version would eventually launch. I think that price difference may have been contractually agreed upon just like the release window and I think that contract may now be up. Amazon and B&H have both marked down their GSM Z Play's to $399, the first real cut in price (rather than discounted bundling with mods or gift cards) that I've seen.

I think this means Motorola now has the freedom to get aggressive with sale pricing. I hope they put that freedom to good use early and often.

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Not sure if you ever got a case, but one of the mod makers is making another bumper and they ship the bumper worldwide: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/edge-supercharge-your-smartphone#/ That link is for the battery or wireless charging Edge mods, but there is an option to just order the bumper and there are photos of it at the bottom.

Looks pretty good to me. One of the things I hate about the verizon bumper is the buttons are crap. This bumper looks like it exposes the buttons, albeit recessed. There are no reviews of it yet, because it hasn't been made, but I'm leaning towards getting the case.

9. raspabalsa

Yes, I did get the Verizon bumper case, and it fit very well. The buttons do feel crappy, especially since there's no way to tell which button is power and which are volume. But my wife hasn't complained at all, so I guess it's ok for her.

I'm not so sure about the bumper you link to, but I'll show it to my wife to see if she's interested. Thank for the link, Mi An.