Mrs. Raspy gets a Moto Z Play!

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by raspabalsa, Nov 25, 2016.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hi all!

I decided to give Mrs. R an anticipated Christmas gift, so I went shopping for a new phone. Her Moto G 2nd Gen is showing its age, and for the first time she's wishing aloud for a powerful phone. I'm very happy to oblige, so I started looking for a nice phone that will awe her. Black Friday meant I could get some interesting offers. I considered getting another LG V10 for her, or the brand-new LG V20, but I already have a V10, and the V20 is very expensive here. Then I saw that the Moto Z Play was on sale, and bundled with the JBL speakers MotoMod, unlocked, dual-SIM, for about USD 480, so I immediately went for it. The brick & mortar store was close to the office, so I already have it in my hands.

First impression: it's a very beautiful phone. Feels solid, although not too heavy. Screen is gorgeous, smaller than my V10's and with less resolution, but much, much better than her Moto G 2nd gen. The JBL speakers are loud, although I tested them on a noisy store during Black Friday, so I'm not sure how loud they're really are :D But they look nice, and the included battery is a welcome feature. The fingerprint reader confuses me, it being below the screen, but it does not work as a home button, so I kept pressing it expecting to see the launcher (to the amusement of the sales guy). The USB C port will be interesting to test. I think the Snapdragon 625 is comparable or even better than my V10's 808, and its GPU is a newer iteration of the Adreno. Seems for once my better half will also have a better phone :D . I'm very excited about this purchase. I'm forced to wait until tomorrow to surprise her, because I'm still in the city.

Tonight I'll play with the phone, set it up, then I'll gift wrap it. Tomorrow noon she'll have her gift. I'll let you know her expression, but I think it will be a combination of :eek: , :newpalm: , and :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    lelisa13p, RickAgresta, Hook and 3 others like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Sounds like a fantastic choice to me, I bet she'll love it. Feel free to report back any and all additional impressions. :newpalm:

FWIW, Incipio has a mod-compatible bumper that's pretty cool and on sale: https://www.incipio.com/cases/smart...cases/moto-z-play-droid-co-molded-bumper.html

verizon wireless has a sale on their moto z bumper cases: https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-two-tone-bumper-case-for-moto-z-play-droid/ They are mostly compatible with functional mods, but there were reports that they didn't work to well with the style backs.

They both say for the z play droid, but there's no difference between that and gsm zplays as far as cases go.

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

Thanks, Mi An. I didn't find any bumper or case around here. The Z series is still quite new, so there's almost nothing in the b&m stores. I'll check the ones you link to.
    I'm setting the ZP right now. It came with MM 6.0.1. I'm downloading OS updates. With the JBL speakers installed this turns into a beast, huge and heavy. I love that! Updating OS will take a few minutes, then I'll update and install apps, and then I'll see if these speakers can keep the neighbors awake.

My wife already knows I got her a new phone. Can't lie or keep secrets from her, it seems. But I haven't told her what model it is. At least that much I was able to withhold :D

Sent from my LG V10 with Tapatalk

4. raspabalsa

I presented my wife with her new Moto Z Play during lunch, and she was really happy! The :eek: came first, when she saw how big and beautiful it is. She loved the removable back, which is dark red textured cloth of some kind. I'm not so sure about it, but it's her phone after all. The :D came next, once she saw its features: front camera with flash, fingerprint reader, large storage and SD card, dual SIM, etc. Once I showed her the JBL speakers and she heard them, she was surprised again at its powerful, loud noise. After that, she's been :newpalm: the whole afternoon as she learns more about it. I'll call it mission accomplished , A+ grade :vbcool:

I haven't yet transfered her SIM card and Whatsapp data over. I'll do that tonight, and I'll have to trim her microSIM to nano. No big deal, I've done that with my scalpel before.

Here's a breakdown of what I really like/don't like about this phone:

I love that it does not reboot when removing or inserting SIM cards. Even my V10 forces a reboot because the battery must be removed to insert/remove a SIM card. The ZP does not reboot when doing this. If I eject the tray at most it complains that I didn't eject the SD card properly, but te SIMs are detected properly. The ZP has a very well designed SIM/SD card tray, making it easy to install cards. In comparison, my V10's SD and SIM slots are just ok, and my Xperia Z1's was a terrible design.

The battery life is awesome, and I really mean it. I've read elsewhere about how good it is, and it's nice to see that's true. I received the phone yesterday with 75% charge, haven't charged it yet, and today at 5 pm it still has 43% battery power, after 3 or 4 hours of screen time, including 1 hour of HD movies to test the speakers.

I don't like the fingerprint reader. I guess I'm used to the V10's back button, but placing it on the bottom screen bezel with no other function than reading fingers seems wasteful to me. My wife is indifferent about it so far. The sensor itself is quite accurate and responsive, no complains there. It seems faster and more accurate than the one on my V10. But what I really don't like is that if an unregistered finger is pressed, then the screen turns off and the phone gets locked. I haven't decided if this is a good thing or not, but it seems unnecessary to me. I haven't found a way to turn this off, but I haven't checked all the security settings. The phone encrypts its storage by default, but I don't know if turning this off will affect the way the reader reacts to unknown fingerprints.

NFC is very finicky and hard to use. The antenna is located on the top screen bezel, near the front of the phone, whereas most (all?) other phones have it in the center of the back. I understand the NFC antenna couldn't be in the back because it wouldn't work if a MotoMod is connected, but nowhere on the phone is an NFC logo to mark the spot. But even after placing the ZP's front against my V10's back I couldn't beam data, and my Sony BT headset with NFC does not connect with the ZP. I've read elsewhere about these kind of problems with the NFC, but my wife doesn't have any NFC accessory yet, so I don't think that will be a deal breaker. Her Motorola Buds headset pairs properly with the ZP over BT, so we're good to go.

The JBL speakers are powerful, but reproduction is not very good. Bass is too strong, and trebles sound weak and somewhat indistinct. I guess extremely loud bass is still fashionable, and Lenovo must be going for mass appeal. In any case, it's a nice, compact boombox. Now my wife can stop carrying her Phillips Fidelio BT speakers on family trips.

EDIT: Forgot to wrap things up... I think if I didn't have the V10 I'd consider this phone for myself, especially for the battery endurance and Motomods. With the ZP in my household I have the chance to play with it and hopefully Lenovo will improve the line enough to consider one for myself in about two years.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I sometimes imagine having a Z Play and 2 wireless charging battery mods. When one external battery wanes, swap, leaving the other on the qi charger, rinse and repeat. It's not really a practical dream, but it tickles me to think of going years without ever plugging a smartphone into the wall even once in it's entire life.

I still think I might end up with the Z Play itself someday, but I too may look at successors if Motonovo keeps it affordable and continues to prioritize battery life.

6. raspabalsa

Sadly, Incipio does not ship to Colombia, and no vendor from Amazon with this case will ship to Colombia either. It's not available on MercadoLibre. Too bad, because it looks like a nice and useful bumper. However, I did find the Verizon bumper on MercadoLibre, and not too expensive: 65000 pesos, which is about USD 20.37. I decided to order it, even if it ends not working well with the style case. I'll keep an eye for the Incipio bumper, which seems nicer than the Verizon model.

My wife is amazed at the battery endurance. She listened to music all afternoon through her BT speakers (JBL Motomod was discharged), and the phone's battery just dropped 8%.

IMO, it's an interesting concept. Kind of like going back two decades, when I used rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for my gadgets. I had two sets, one with me, one being recharged. Sometimes I had three sets and cycled them through the charger, for those long boring voyages. The gadgets themselves (cassette player and film camera :eek: ) never got to meet a power outlet!

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy and Mi An - that's what my son-in-law is doing. He just keeps swapping out his extra battery from the charger and puts it in his LG v10 and the phone never gets plugged in...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, jigwashere, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  8. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Congrats on the find and the "Win," Raspy! Sounds like a great device - I hope your wife enjoys it for a long time! :newpalm:

lelisa13p, jigwashere, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  9. raspabalsa

Great minds think alike :) However, I'd find very inconvenient to have to reboot my phone daily. In this respect, the Moto Z Play with the external battery mod is a perfect implementation.

Thank you Joe! My wife is enjoying it very much. Her Moto G 2nd gen looks like a discarded toy next to the Z Play :D

Sent from my LG V10 with Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, JRakes and 2 others like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Ah for the good old days when I could swap the batteries out of my Palm IIIxe without having a forced reboot! :newpalm: