Moving to Verizon: Pixel 2, Galaxy S8, iPhone 8

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Nov 11, 2017.

?

Of these three, which should I get when I move to Verizon?

1. Pixel 2 (non-XL)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Galaxy S8 (non-Plus)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. iPhone 8 (non-Plus)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Other phone on Verizon that fits my criteria?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, I love the physical form factor of the iPhone X. The notch is the only thing I’m not sure about; I think I’d rather it just have a slim top bezel with a flat top to the screen. But I understand their desire to leapfrog Samsung on the small-bezel front instead of just matching them.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

I think the next race will be to see who can do unlocking without a notch. Either they will use a fingerprint sensor on the back or under the display or Apple or Samsung or somebody will figure out how to do faceID and a front facing camera through the display instead of using a notch.

I'm delighted with my iPhone X so far. My favorite thing is the larger display without having to resort to a "plus" sized phone. I can see everything easier now and to me this is as much of an improvement as the jump from the old 4 inch screen to the 5 inch screen a few years ago. I thought briefly about going to an iPhone SE so it would be easier to operate with one hand but decided display readability was more important to me than one-handed operation and I was wanting the iPhone X even before it was announced. I was wishing for a plus sized display in the normal sized phone body and with iPhone X I just about have that wish fulfilled.

weegie, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Mitlov, just to weigh in, I would strongly encourage you to look closely at Verizon's upgrade requirements in the contract when you buy your phone. They used to offer 50% paid-->ok to upgrade, but now that only applies to select Android phones (IIRC Galaxy and Pixel?) and all iPhones. It only matter if you think there's any chance you might need to swap platforms partway through your contract (assuming you finance the phones). I am warning from experience: I had a Moto Z Force, loved it, but 8 months into having it my company's policies abruptly changed, and if I wanted remote email and other access I had to use an iPhone (either a personal one or a corporate issued one). I was able to do some upgrade juggling and used Mrs QF's old 6S, and finally over the weekend paid the balance on the Z Force and upgraded to an 8+. It wound up being a more expensive proposition though, because I had to pay 100% of the cost of the Z Force, paid off the 6S early so we could upgrade that line and keep the 6S, and I had to hold onto the Z Force until I paid it off because it couldn't be traded in while still on a payment plan.

So just be sure, if you get an android phone, about whether you can upgrade early, just in case!

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Lelisa, I'd have to sit down and do the math; but since the X is longer diagonally (5.8-inches), that means the width is also a bit wider than it would be if 5.5-inches. Unless the aspect ratio is different, the screen on the X ought to be wider. The Plus itself is wider because of the bezels. I think the difference in how the screen looks is more an optical illusion, but worth more investigation. I don't think that there will be an 'X Plus,' because it would have to be at least 0.5-inches bigger to make sense. If anything, there might be a smaller X more like the standard iPhone in the next iteration.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

The aspect ratio is different. The X is narrower than the Plus. I spent a fair bit of time in the Verizon store on Saturday playing with both, and I can tell you part of what tipped me to the 8+ was that the X didn't have any of the landscape goodies the Plus offers (ie, you don't get the tablet-esque view for your calendar, mail, and messages, no tab view in Safari, etc.

The X has an aspect ratio of 19.5:9 vs the Plus' 16:9 (I think). The Plus is wider, significantly so when you sit them side by side. Remember that the X sounds bigger, but it's taller, and gains some extra space from chopping the bezels, but it doesn't expand width-wise.

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks, qf, for typing all the stuff that I was thinking. :vbsmile: Additionally, EdmundDantes, bezels exist at the top and bottom, not on the sides. The width of the Plus sized iPhones offers true usability.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Good point on the bezels-there's narrow side bezels but not enough to make a difference. I guarantee when you enter a store you'll see the difference immediately.

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I bet they'll have an X Plus (or X Pro with Apple Pencil support). When the 6 and 6 Plus came out, they perfectly matched the screen sizes of the two Samsung flagships from the previous year that had sold so well (the S3 and the Note 2, and 4.7" and 5.5" respectively). Now with tall-aspect-ratio screens, Apple has something that is the size of the S8 (5.8" for both), but Apple doesn't currently have anything the size of the Note 8 (6.3" tall aspect ratio). Especially since the iPhone X is about bringing hardware feature parity with Android flagships to the iOS market (wireless charging, OLED screens, rounded screen edges with tiny bezels, etc), it seems likely to me that they'd want something to directly fight Samsung's large-phone flagship as well as Samsung's midsize flagship.

Hook, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I appreciate the warning. I think I'll be safe from the sort of employer-policy reversal you describe, since I'm a public employee and I have trouble seeing a municipality banning Galaxy devices with DOD approval, but it's still food for thought.

Hook, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I like the way you think, Mitlov. :vbsmile: