Moving to Verizon: Pixel 2, Galaxy S8, iPhone 8

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Nov 11, 2017.

?

Of these three, which should I get when I move to Verizon?

1. Pixel 2 (non-XL)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Galaxy S8 (non-Plus)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. iPhone 8 (non-Plus)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Other phone on Verizon that fits my criteria?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'll be honest, I'm really struggling with the price issue with the iPhone X. Comparing it to the S8 (similar form factor in many ways), it's about $600 more than a realistic out the door price right now, especially if you get the 256gb model since it lacks micro SD expansion.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Mitlov,

My iPhone X arrives today. I can't imagine using any other iOS phone right now. I've found that touchID fails miserably when I'm using my phone in the rain. I use my phone in the rain about every other month when I'm trying to take pictures during a race. I cannot get my fingerprint to work when my hands are wet and the touchscreen behaves so miserably I can't even get the camera app to pull up. I'm hoping faceID works better in wet weather so I'll be able to take photos in adverse conditions more easily. I'm also sick and tired of the huge 1/2 inch bezels at the top and bottom of every iPhone before the X. I'm no fan of the notch but it's better than a huge stripe of wasted space above and below the display. As for price, I'm using Apple's no-interest financing. I was paying about $37 a month for my iPhone 7 128 GB model and I'll be paying about $49 a month for the iPhone X, 64GB model. I'm not happy with paying so much for Applecare but considering the iPhone X is the most fragile iPhone ever, I think it will prove to be a good value for me this time around.

I'm sick and tired of not having a headphone jack but I've learned to live with it. I'm sick and tired of limited internal memory and no micro-sd expansion but "iCloud Photo Library" has completely solved storage issues for me. My 128 GB iPhone 7 has 80 GB used. I expect to migrate to a 64 GB phone without any issue. How? 50GB of that space is used for photos, all of which are backed up to iCloud photo library. When I connect my new phone, all of them will come down... as thumbnails. I expect them to take up 1/10 the space they take up now on my new phone. Of course walking around furiously snapping photos of everything I see will once again cause the library to grow but I'm confident iCloud Photo Library will automagically manage storage for me and offload originals as required to keep my phone from bursting at the seams. Email wastes a lot of space on my phone but I don't mind so much. My next heavy memory usage after photos and email is apps. I have some bulky apps including Apple's office suite and Google's office suite. Then I have about 3 GB of music. I have about 2GB of text messages with photo attachments. Lastly I have almost a GB of ebooks.

I'll either update this thread or start a new one about my experience with iPhone X. As for the 8, I think it makes a decent choice but it's clearly in it's last year of existence. Next year, all iPhones will feature smaller bezels, faceID and notches. Do you really want to be walking around with a phone that might feel old only 1 year from now? A thousand bucks sounds like a lot of money for a phone but it's more a psychological barrier than anything. At between $800 and $1200 a smartphone represents roughly 10 months of line usage, taxes and fees on a bring your own phone plan on most major carriers. Why have a less than ideal experience with a device when you're spending a king's ransom to keep it fed with cellular data?

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Rok,

Thanks for the head’s up about touchID in the rain. One of the things I like about my S7 Edge is how easy I can get the camera app up and going if my kids are doing something where I need a photo RIGHT NOW. Double-tap home on the S7 (or double-tap power on the S8, or twist like a doorknob on my old Moto X), and without even unlocking the phone, the camera app comes up and can take pictures and video. Samsung’s fingerprint sensor also struggles with wet fingers, but since I don’t need to unlock the phone to take photos, I had never seen it as a serious hinderance in that respect. I use this feature all the frickin’ time.

Is there really no comparable quick-launch for the iPhone camera on either the 8 or the X?

I realize that over time, data costs more than the hardware, but it’s not like you save data costs by buying more expensive hardware. $500 saved on hardware over two years is still $500 I could spend on something else if I don’t get the iPhone X. I’m not saying I won’t do it, but I can’t just ignore that extra cost. I could buy each of my kids their own Chromebook with that sort of cost savings.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

There is supposed to be a quick launch for iOS camera. It doesn’t freaking work for me in the rain so I have to resort to attempting to unlock. Often I manage to unlock the phone but the touchscreen works so poorly I can’t navigate to the camera app.

I searched for a way to get the camera without swiping and it doesn’t exist. Bad move, Apple! Sweaty fingers on wet touchscreens don’t work at all. There are times I’ve actually had to dry my fingers to do stuff. I can say that faceid is working well so far. And training it was much faster than touchid.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

r0k, did you try using the headphone jack adapter? I attached it to my regular old-style Apple earbuds (from iPhone 4 because the newer earbud design/shape doesn't stay in my ear/s very well and it's annoying) and all's well with the lightning port doing the job. (I have iPhone 8 Plus, holding out for next year's model of iPhone X which will hopefully offer Plus-sized.)

Re Camera Quick Launch: It's easy to open Camera by swiping up from the bottom of the screen - it opens redesigned Control Center and works even if the iPhone is locked. (iOS 11) Granted, I'm not often in the rain without an umbrella :vbsmile: and the thought of any wet phone still freaks me out.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. r0k

r0k Dazed

Yes I tried that. With wet fingers in the rain, the phone doesn't recognize swipe gestures. There needs to be a hardware way to activate the camera on a smartphone. This is similar to the issue I had with Apple Watch as a running watch. Touchscreens are useless in long exposure adverse weather conditions. I ran the New York Marathon in just over 4 hours. It rained 3/4 of the way. It was a gentle mist so my hands were still dry enough to operate my phone. If my hands had been wet, I would not have been able to take a single photo without stopping and drying the screen and my hands for my phone to properly recognize a swipe gesture. It's so bad I can't even type in my passcode. Of course I'm still delighted that my phones are waterproof enough that using them in the rain is even a thing. About a week after receiving my iPhone 7, I took photos in the rain during a run. It wasn't raining that hard so I was able to operate the camera though I did notice some trouble with the touchscreen recognizing taps and gestures even then. In a downpour forget it. I need hardware buttons or nothing.

If I can somehow manage to get the camera app open, I can use the volume buttons to work the shutter. God forbid the phone picks up a stray swipe to put it in portrait or some other weird mode because I'd be hard-pressed to get it back to taking normal photos. This has happened a few times when I've been trying to take photos only to have the thing drop into "panorama" mode or super slo-mo mode. Very aggravating.

As far as the headphone jack/adapter thing, I'm already running with a spare battery and a cord to plug into the lightning port so my phone can last through an entire marathon. I'd hate to have to juggle another long bit of wire during a long run. I'll be running with my new phone tomorrow evening and again on Thursday morning. I should know pretty quickly if it works better for taking photos during a run. Meanwhile, I wish there was a way to assign double wake button to camera instead of apple pay (without jailbreaking). Now that I'm on my second "jackless" iPhone, I do have 2 pairs of lightning headphones lying around. I suppose I could carry one of them on runs with me. Of course the headphones don't help getting the camera app open in the first place.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

"Siri! Take a @$&:(@ picture!" ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. lelisa13p

Poor r0k, that sounds purely miserable. :vbfrown:

Do post your impressions of iPhone X if you feel inclined. I fiddled with one last week while I was waiting in the Apple Store for a Genius to replace two lightning cables that had failed (first time). I had the luxury of comparing my own 8 Plus with the demo iPhone X so that I could visually assess whether I really cared if the phone was smaller. Turns out that I do care, and it reminded me of how impatiently I'd waited thru a year (Sept 2014-2015) until I could replace my 1 year old iPhone 6 with a 6 Plus so that I could see everything better/bigger. Enduring a year of Buyer's Remorse (I knew I should've gotten a Plus) was no fun for me but my Son was really happy to have a 1 year old phone at Thanksgiving 2015 instead of the usual 2 year old. Now we'll see how he likes a Plus sized 6 when he returns the regular iPhone 6 to me on Thanksgiving and is gifted with a hand-me-down upgrade. :vbsmile:

r0k, scjjtt, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Weegie, I don't even think the X is that great, other than the all-glass, very thin bezel front.

I just saw today (day before Thanksgiving) that Verizon is offering deals on the Pixel and Galaxy 8.

Lelisa, isn't the X basically 'Plus' sized? I think it's 5.8-inches rather than 5.5-inches, but the measurements aren't directly comparable because of the bezels and slightly different length v. width proportions. Do you want a smaller one?

I'm wondering if it would be stupid for me to buy a new 6S Plus. They're around and still have the headphone jack.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. lelisa13p

Here's a side-by-side size and screen comparison of iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus. The bit of extra width on Plus is more significant than you might expect, at least in my current viewing experience. YMMV, of course. :vbsmile:

iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus - Size Comparison 2017-11-22.jpg