Moving to Verizon: Pixel 2, Galaxy S8, iPhone 8

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Mitlov, Nov 11, 2017.

?

Of these three, which should I get when I move to Verizon?

1. Pixel 2 (non-XL)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Galaxy S8 (non-Plus)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. iPhone 8 (non-Plus)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other phone on Verizon that fits my criteria?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

So I'm moving from US Cellular to Verizon in the next month or so (please don't try to talk me into Project Fi or T-Mobile; I really need Verizon's network), and I'm trying to figure out what handset I want. My general criteria are (1) no LG after the bootloop fiascos and the screen quality controversies on the Pixel 2 XL and LG V30, (2) I'd like to stay away from $1000 phones like the Note 8 and iPhone X, (3) awesome cameras and a vibrant screen are really important to me, and (3) I need prompt security updates for two to three years (I'm much less concerned about prompt OS updates).

I'd like a medium-sized phone; I don't need a tiny iPhone SE, but after briefly owning the Note 7, I realized that huge phablets aren't always comfortable in the pockets of suits and slacks (which I wear for 40-60 hours per week).

Unlike most people, I'm actually flexible on iOS versus Android. All things equal, I prefer Android, but all things are never equal, and I use iOS 11 on my iPad and it's just fine. And the iPhone offers the best security update situation and also offers a front-mounted fingerprint sensor, which I like.

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hi, Mitlov! Great to see you.I was just thinking about you and hope you're doing well.

I'm frustrated by the lack of ongoing security updates on Android phones. I'm hoping to keep going on my Nexus 6 for awhile and will count on ROM updates from devs. Next time around, I'll consider cheaper Android phones and simply replace them more frequently. I'm looking at the Moto E4 for my daughter.

You need a good camera. For that and with confidence in ongoing support, I'd lean toward the iPhone.

Good luck with your choice!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and Mitlov like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

good to hear from you, Mitlov; tend to agree with jig's points. from experience with Verizon, only iPhones get on-time, regular security updates. best luck with it.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Mitlov like this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Does anyone have a sense of how much Verizon slows down the security updates on the Pixel line? Are we talking delays of an extra couple weeks, delays of several months, or blocking them entirely?

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I don't actually know, but the impression I've gotten is that while Verizon controls updates, security updates are nonetheless rolled out from Google. I'd check with a Pixel forum.

Great to hear from you again, Mitlov

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

Mashable and other sources seem to discourage buying the Pixel from Verizon. You avoid bloatware and get regular OS and security updates, buy directly from Google.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  7. jigwashere

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Thanks everyone! Hope everyone is doing well. This gives me a lot to chew on.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

10. jigwashere