Moving to Symbian/S60 (Editorial and Review Series)

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by Antoine Wright, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Some of you may be in in the mode of considering moving to Symbian devices (Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG) from Palm OS or Windows Mobile devices. The following series of articles, called Moving to Symbian/S60, describe some of that process in addition to highlighting some software that made the transition easier.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Thanks, AW. I was right, I hadn't found them all. :)

3. Messinger

Messinger Mobile Evangelist

Very useful series; many thanks. It's with regret that I find it necessary to part with my Tungsten T3 and, at the same time, deal with the loss of my mobile phone carrier (Qwest is now merely reselling Verizon and losing the excellent, but largely under-appreciated, One Number service). After using an iPAQ 210, I concluded that Windows Mobile wasn't ready for prime time, as a phone OS, and adopted Symbian, in the form of a Nokia E71. For the most part, it's been a smooth and enjoyable transition.

The one shocker for me? The almost total absence of support for categories, in the Symbian PIM applications. As a GTD adherent, I've grown accustomed to Palm's ability to sync with categories in Outlook - with a boost from Chapura and some other third party apps. But I went through a good solid day of doubt, when I realized how difficult it would be to sync categories associated with Tasks, Calendar items, and contacts.

The poor support of categories is something Nokia really ought to spend some significant resources to address, in Symbian.

Thanks for the series on the move from the Palm OS to Symbian.

4. Antoine Wright

@Messinger: glad you enjoyed the series. You know, I was once a bit of a stickler for categories. Having not used them except for labeling email, I frankly don't need them anymore. Well, that plus nearly everything I just do a search for when I want it, no more linear drill-downs to get to what I am looking for.

5. Antoine Wright

Added the last of the series; hope this serves to help many of you looking to make a cross platform move, and gives you some ideas of things to look out for, as well as adventures to prepare for.