Move from Windows to Android Smart Phone and running Android Auto

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Jerry_NJ, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, data connection as something requiring cellulars is new to me. I hope it doesn't require a phone connection. The GPS uses satellite and that works on the tablet but no appearance on the Subaru console. Seems my thinking of moving from my Windows phone to Android will answer my need an with a smaller package that includes my phone . The Bluetooth interface for phone works well even with my Windows phone. Can anyone point me to a full definition of "data connection", yes I will search myself now that I understand I have a basic knowledge gap.

2. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Okay, I now understand "data connection" to be a wireless cellular connection. But, that isn't what is needed for GPS, other than GPS Satellite RF must be received and sent. That is done just fine with my current Smart Phone set for data via WiFi only, and my tablet not having any cellular connection. Yes, suppose if I want to play Pandora music via my "device" I'll need access to the internet (data) via my device but I do not functionally need it for GPS, my only objective adder to my Subaru control/display (see I've used the word "console" for another I can't spell). The owner manual shows using the physical interface and I take another read if it calls for a telephone connection.

3. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

It says, right in the Play Store listing:
    Whether logical or not, that means a data connection (cellular) is required to use the program.

4. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Okay, I think I can win if I just meet the requirement. Suppose the requirement recognizes that the console (guess it is spelled correctly) can handle applications that require cellular data. So, if I buy the new Tracfone (other subject of my post) and the service package that provides affordable low use data I should be able to interface my Subaru with Android Auto. And, if I use only the GPS I'll not incur any data charges. And if I do, Tracfone is prepay so when I run out of data purchased, the service shuts down and I get a loss of service not a surprise huge phone bill. Thanks. nice to learn something each day, sadly for me I soon forget it.

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Unfortunately, that's not the way GPS works. You do use data while using GPS. The maps, traffic density, backups, alternate routes, and more all use the data connection actively. While not a huge amount, depending on the GPS application, it does use data throughout the entire trip. The GPS location is provided by the satellites. That is all it does, you are at x coordinate by y coordinate. Find that coordinate on downloaded map via data connection, and update screen accordingly. That's the way it works.

6. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Well, that's the way Android Auto works, perhaps the Subaru interface expects the same, but my 8 years experience with GPS in my car, now only a Garmin with a suction cup connection to the windshield provides simple GPS, all I'm looking for, without phone data. Just battery and satellite is all that's needed. I believe Garmin sells some traffic and maybe speed trap information, but have never looked into that feature. Seems it too must require real-time data. What do you guess the data load would be for an hour driving in city and/or highway to support the GPS on? If a few tens of Megabytes that would not add a lot of expense. If I go for the Tracfone service it provides about 500 Mbytes as an adder to 120 voice minutes (or thereabout). If I turn the GPS on only when I want, e.g., don't connect my smart phone, or shut down the GPS application I should get data use/charges only when needed, might be a win-win. This thread has been a great help, thanks to all .. Jerry and dog Jasper (Avatar).

headcronie likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

GPS units for cars have map data that was loaded at the factory or later by the consumer. It gets out of date over time and you usually have to purchase updates (CD, DVD or download). I believe traffic data can be real time updated through radio signals. But GPS location information that come from satellites is extremely limited - it is ONLY your location.

headcronie likes this.
  8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I was under the impression that you were using a mobile app for GPS. I don't have a vehicle that has this level of mobile device integration. Sorry about that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Sorry, I'm late to this; but my understanding is that the 'app' for Android Auto is sort of like the smartwatch apps: it is only the conduit for connecting to the car's Android Auto system (which should be resident in the car, not the phone). Basically, it's just the way the car can use the phone's cell/data connection. I'd take it to your dealer (since you're asking about Android Auto, it should be a new car). They should help you set it up. But if you use it for satellite radio, navigation, etc., it will eat up data quickly, so be aware.

10. JONAS123

JONAS123 Newbie

Yes I think you are right. sometimes configurations and specs. usually played a role devices dont function well