Move from Windows to Android Smart Phone and running Android Auto

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Jerry_NJ, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I have a two year old Windows 8.1 Nokia 635 Smart Phone. It is okay, but Windows seems to be dying in the Smart Phone field, e.g., many new cars provide for an Android interface to their smart consoles, same for Apple, but nothing for Windows. Yes, my Windows SP works via Blue Tooth for telephone, but not maps (GSP). I am looking at buying a LG Rebel LTE with a Tracfone (another change now on Go Phone AT&T) service interface. I am interested in any insights as I have not yet purchased the LG Rebel, but my reason to post is I'd like to be able to copy my directory (address book) contends from the Nokia to the LG, next I may want to transfer the pictures albums. The picture albums are also on One Drive (MS Cloud) so I have access to them from my computers. Maybe my general question is interfacing Android storage with WIndows storage. Common formats should be the same I assume.

If anyone has any experience or references on how to use the Android interface to the Subaru 2017 Impreza, using Android Auto application I'd welcome inputs/references. Unfortunately my Android 6.0 Table can not run Android Auto, hope the LG Rebel Android 5.1 can run Android Auto, that would allow me to leave my table home and use my new smart phone to drive the Subaru console. Comment, seems strange to me if true that Android would develop the current new Marshmellow 6.0 and not upgrade modern apps such as Android Auto to run on the new OS.

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I don't know anything about Android Auto, but I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment. In the Play Store says it works with Android 5.0 and up, meaning it should work with Android 6.x or 7.x.

Don't know anything about the phone, but the memory specs are worrying. 8GB internal with only 3GB available to user. Yes, it will take an SD card, but you will still fill up thet 3GB quickly just installing apps. It is very inexpensive (Amazon has it for about $40-- in that price range, that is probably pretty common).

There is a OneDrive app for Android, so hopefully that part of the transition will be smooth. Just a few notes. I'm not really much help on most of the questions here.

3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Hook, thanks ... exactly what I thought on Android apps, the Auto app should work, but the response to download is not applicable on my machine... which is running Android 6 and I assume the hardware is not a factor.

I'm not a smartphone addict, telephone and texting are my tele applications and weather and maps are also used. I will use the browser via WiFi for email when on the road. I think my existing memory SD in my Nokia can be moved, to the LG.

I set my lady friend, also a senior, up with a phone package when her son said she "should get a smart phone....just move her flip top on Verizon to a smart phone.. gee only $100 a month". or something along that line. I did a little searching for a prepay like my Go Phone and a good but simple phone. I found Tracfone much better than Go Phone for cost and includes texting and data allocations for the same or less money than just minutes on Go Phone. So I set her up with the LG which is even lower cost given the $49.99 at Amazon included a $30 Tracfone package which was tripled. This triggered me to consider getting off Windows Phone and the new Subaru with a Android interface I couldn't drive with my tablet leads me to think Android phone.

4. Hook

So, do you already have the phone and the Play Store is telling you "not compatible with your device?" If so, then, yes, it is probably something in the hardware configuration. It may require a minimal memory or cpu or screen resolution or some such. Trouble is, neither in the Play Store nor the official website do they say one way or another. I would try the developer email listed in the Play Store.

5. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Hook, thanks for the research ... I'll look for the Android developers. I think my tablet with a quad core processor and of a generally recent design architecture should be able to handle a relatively simple Application. I'll be sure to have all my tablet specs at hand before I start any conversation. As stated at the start, I may upgrade my smart phone to move from Windows Phone to Android Phone and see if the A Auto runs on that phone.

6. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

What brand is your tablet and is it wifi only or does it have a data connection? I suspect the reason why your tablet won't run Subaru app is because it doesn't have a data connection.

My Toyota Entune app will not run on my old Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android phone because I deactivated the Sprint data service on it when I replaced it with my Motorola Nexus 6 Android phone. My Note 2 phone is now basically a wifi only tablet now that it no longer has a data connection. Not only will it not work, but the app will not update from the Google Play Store either.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. Hook

Yeah, I completely missed that you were trying to use a tablet and not the phone. I'm pretty sure I read that it requires a data connection.

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Yes, the Android shows a smart phone on the Play Store and when I try to install on my Tablet the store says my device is not supported. The device has the usual micro USP for charging and USB functions, just as does the smart phone. I have about 2.5 GB free storage, and can add I micro SD memory. The processor is a Cortex-A53 (one reason it is low cost) Quad Core 1.3 GHz CPU, surely enough to handle, still Android does not support. I may be simply that my mostly unknown hardware is not on the Android list, a simple clerical matter but one that stops me from using this Android device to drive the Subaru console. My device/tablet will load Android AutoMate, but I have not yet been able to make it work with the Subaru via the USB interface. I may talk with a salesman where I purchased the care.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Data connection = cellular internet. Does your tablet have an internet connection through a service like T-Mobile?

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Jerry, as both internetpilot and Hook have said, the device needs a data-connection --- a wifi only tablet won't work.

EDIT: and jigwashere <g>