Move apps to SD card ... pros & cons?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

I see that I'm able to move my apps onto the SD card in my HTC Desire phone. I note it says "move", rather than "copy".

I presume one advantage is that I won't have to re-install my apps if I need to do a factory reset, or when I get an OS update.

What are the other advantages, please? And what are the disadvantages?

2. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

No disadvantages. The main advantage is that it will free up phone memory. You will still need to reinstall after factory reset as a very small piece of the program will stay in phone memory, I believe. Not all programs will allow you to move them.

3. abenn

abenn Mobile Evangelist

Thanks, Hook.

What's the advantage of freeing up phone memory -- assuming it's nowhere near full? Does it make things run faster?

4. Hook

Depends on how much memory you have. I don't know the Desire's memory model, but on my Nexus One, I was able to go from 35mb free to 85mb free. The nexus will give a low memory warning at 20mb, I believe. However, I had to use a minor hack to get that much memory back as developers seem to be slow at implementing apps2sd. I described the hack here:

http://forum.brighthand.com/android...e-apps-sd-free-up-memory-without-rooting.html

In general, going back to my Palm T2, I've always tried to free up as much memory as possible for computing processes and actual program execution.

YMMV. ;)

5. Magellan

Magellan Male Moderator Super Moderator

You can tell how much of an app installed to SD card is in main memory. Go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and select the "On SD card" tab. The file sizes it shows are actually what is in main memory. You can tell how much difference it makes by looking at the file size under "Downloaded", then after moving it look at "On SD card". I had a game that went from over 20Mb to a little over 2Mb after moving it. That means that 18+MB was freed up after moving.

6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

abenn, this feature is there to allow you to install more applications. Some software, especially high-end games, require quite a bit of storage. If you install enough apps, you run out of internal capacity.

Now you can move apps to a storage card and carry around far more software.
    -

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

when an app on the SD card is run, does it run from the SD card, or (as in Palm OS) is it copied to internal memory, and executed there? just asking for clarification, although I expect the answer is that it runs from internal memory after being copied. presumably, when such an app finishes, it is then deleted from internal memory (leaving the "original copy" still on the SD card).

8. Hook

No, I'm fairly certain this is like your laptop executing a program on an external hard drive. There are some system files that need to be in internal memory and those are stored there and not moved with the app, but I believe the program is launched from external memory.