Motorola Photon 4G Review: Powerful and Versatile Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Adama D. Brown, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Debuting from Sprint with a suggested retail price of $200, the Motorola Photon 4G packs in a dizzying array of features, including a 1 GHz dual-core processor, 4.3 inch high-res screen, 4G wireless internet, worldwide roaming, and a lot of advanced multimedia options.

I'vetaken it for a spin,so read on tosee what you can expect from this everything-and-then-some device.

Read the full content of this Article: Motorola Photon 4G Review: Powerful and Versatile

Related Articles:

Hands On with the Kyocera Milano and DuraMax

LG Marquee Hands-On Preview

Samsung Epic 4G Touch First Look Review

Samsung Nexus S 4G Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I find this paragraph the most interesting...

"That's not to say the Photon is perfect, but most of what you could call it's faults are more the result of software than hardware. There are times that it doesn't zip as fast as it should, something I suspect is thanks to Motorola's customizations, and can be ironed out"

I bet your comparing it to an earlier single core android model as well?

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Very minor question: you note that the kickstand is plastic; but the photos show that it looks metallic. Of course there's that 'chromed plastic' stuff, so it might be that. Just curious.

4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Complex widgets consume a lot of memory and that causes the UI to hiccup once in a while. qHD means, like anything with higher resolution, more graphics memory alloted, and since graphics memory is shared with application memory, application memory is lessened. Thus qHD phones generally have less real app memory than WVGA phones, in addition to requiring more muscle to draw the bits on the higher resolution.

I removed any practically almost all of HTC's big widgets on my EVO 3D except Friendstream. It feels virtually lag free. Note how Samsung wisely took out the big widgets in the Galaxy S2 which were once present in the Galaxy S.

I would say, its better to use the standard or generic Android widgets than the handset provided widgets.

BTW, fpr Adama, the phone with the biggest factory installed battery is the Motorola Atrix 4G. 1920mah.

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

More like to competing dual core models. The Droid X2, Droid Bionic, etcetera all perform a bit better and more smoothly than the Photon.

I suspect it's probably the widgets combined with MOTOBLUR.

It's silver painted plastic.