Motorola Milestone

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by feuxfollets, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feuxfollets

feuxfollets Mobile Enthusiast

So from what I understand the Motorola Milestone is basically the same as the Motorola Droid except GSM instead of CDMA?

Does that mean the Froyo update for the Droid will also work on the Milestone? Is stuff between the two compatible?

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Yes. The Milestone is the same as the droid (minor key assignment differences, iirc). As for the Froyo update, you would have to get that from Motorola if not carrier branded, or from the carrier if you purchase a carrier version off ebay (Canada, UK, whatever carrier). You probably would not be able to use the Verizon Droid update. Software would be the same, just differences in the ROMs.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

The verizon update would have specific software for the CDMA radio, so it wouldn't work with a GSM Milestone. You would need one that has GSM software.

4. Hook

Actually, there might be another issue. Depending on the state of the Milestone you got, you might need to first find the 2.1 update for it. Like the Droid, it was pre-2.1 when it came out.

Frankly, unless you are going for the hardware keyboard or you find it a lot cheaper, I would consider the Nexus One. A great device and fewer hoops to jump through-- and US 3G if you ever do want it. Best prices I'm seeing new for the Milestone are about $450-- I'd rather pay $75 more for the Nexus One. If buying used, I don't know.

5. feuxfollets

Nexus One seems to have terrible battery life and I don't really need 1 GHz processor. And I do want a hardware keyboard; touch screen keyboards don't seem to be that accurate and my hands are kind of big..

Are there any other choices for hardware keyboard android 2.2 phones? the Backflip and Devour have obnoxious motorola bloatware on them and don't seem to be getting Froyo...

I guess maybe the HTC myTouch 3G Slide would work? Then I don't have to deal with imported stuff. It's $420 and comes with 2.1 (and HTC sense UI? is that good?) and is on the Froyo update list. I can still get the update from HTC if I don't use T-Mobile right?

6. Hook

Actually, you should be able to get the update from T--Mobile even if you aren't using their service (wifi should give you acccess to it). It should be pushed by their servers to your IEMI if you purchased it form them, even if unsubsidized since they have the provision for doing that (using the Even More Plus plan). The HTC update would likely be the international version. Might conflict with the T-Mobile ROM. So this might be a good solution for you, getting you a hard keyboard and a US 3G model.

I can only speak for myself, but I have had no battery issues with the Nexus One. However, I really am not trying to sell you on the Nexus One. That's your call.

7. feuxfollets

Mmm so holy **** I just saw this thing called swype and it looks awesome, probably much faster than a physical keyboard. I may actually get a phone without a keyboard.

Ok the nexus one is kind of expensive at $530... is there anything cheaper? The Acer Liquid is $425 unlocked and has similar specs, was just recently released, and currently runs 2.1 eclair so maybe that will get a froyo update as well. Mmm I'm not going to buy this for another month until I get back from vacation so I guess I'll just see what other phones are set on track for froyo.

Honestly I'm going to use this phone for at least 4 years so is there a point trying to get one with the latest update now, as in one or two years it'll be outdated anyway? Froyo gives support to a bunch of things I don't really need (tethering, wi-fi hotspot and stuff). Although supposedly there's a 2-5x performance boost, although I don't know how that's possible / why that wasn't implemented earlier. I guess the Nexus One would give supported updates for the longest period of time? But then Google hasn't exactly been in this business before so no one really knows what their long-term update policy is...

8. Hook

Except the OS is from Google-- it is a reasonable assumption they will provide updates. However, that's not the issue. Any Android model with 2.1 will probably get an update to 2.2, it is more a matter of where it will come from and that will depend on whether it has a branded ROM or not. The presumption is a Google branded phone should get updated faster since the carriers tend to do their own testing before release, but you are right, no one knows for sure. I wouldn't worry to much whether you are going to get an update for any 2.1 phone.

So shop around, see what you find that meets your needs. If you don't care about US 3g, it will open more options. Just remember that you can't put a smartphone with a carrier ROM on that carrier's network and not have a data plan. It has to be GSM and unlocked/unbranded is always best for doing that.

9. feuxfollets

Yea but they're releasing a Nexus Two (Motorola Shadow) or something and they may stop supporting the Nexus One to get people to move over.

Hmmm there's a community-based project on porting Froyo to the Acer Liquid... do community ROMs typically work? I've looked at a few and all of them lack Wi-Fi, which is a major problem.

Mhmm wait, T-Mobile early contract termination fee is like $200 or something and the Nexus One is $179 with contract, so I could buy it with contract and then terminate the contract, costing a total of $380? (or $440 if they charge one month). I'm assuming there's something preventing this? As otherwise it would be way too easy...

10. Hook

What does Motorola have to do with the Nexus anything. The Nexus is Google, manufactured by HTC. If there is a Nexius Two, it will also be a Google Phone, no matter who makes it, and I seriously doubt it would cause them to withold updates.

Look, you are getting way too wound around the axle about this. My honest advice is stop worrying about updates or whether there is a new model around the corner (there always is) and figure out a) what you want and b) how much you want tto pay for it and c) whether you want a data contract. Make your best choice based on what those three answers leave you to choose from. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.