Motorola Droid X Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jen Edwards, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen Edwards

Jen Edwards PocketGoddess

[​IMG]The Motorola Droid X is the latest Android OS smartphone offered by Verizon Wireless. It has a verylarge display, 1 GHz processor, 16 GB of storage (8 GB of internal memory plus an8 GBmicroSD card), and an 8 megapixel camera/camcorder.

It is offered exclusively by Verizon Wireless for $200 with a new two-year contract.

Read the full content of this Article: Motorola Droid X Review

Related Articles:

LG Ally vs. Motorola Devour: Which Is Better?

HTC Droid Incredible vs. Motorola Droid: Which Is the Better Option?

Motorola Devour Review

HTC Droid Incredible Review

LG Ally Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Very nice full review. It's an awfully enticing smartphone. I just wish these manufacturers would get over the compulsion with thinness. We're not talking super-models here. Give it that extra tenth of an inch of depth and a bigger battery (although the Droid X does have a slightly bigger battery than the Evo). Or at least design in the option from the beginning of buying a larger capacity battery with an optional back, like older cellphones used to let you do.

3. Jen Edwards

Jen Edwards PocketGoddess

Those were the days!

I had an extended battery for my Dell Axim, and for my Sony PSP. Not phones of course, but not having to worry about the juice would be awfully nice.

I've been spoiled recently by my iPad, it just seems to keep going and going. . . .

4. Digitaldoc

Digitaldoc Digitaldoc

Thank for the review. I have been waiting for a phone like this since my Ipaq died 3 years ago.

Can you elaborate on how this device can work with or not, with Outlook?

5. o3v3tz

o3v3tz Mobile Evangelist

Thanks for the review Jen. I decided to purchase the Droid X. It is my first Android phone and although I am still learning, I like the phone. I really like the screen for viewing both text and graphics on web pages. I have not done any videos yet.

1 - What type of stylus would I need to purchase for the Droid X ?
    I think the type of stylus is related to the technology used for the screen but I don't know the relevant details. Although my accuracy with the landscape onscreen keyboard is improving, I would still like to have the alternative to use a stylus.

2 -- Any suggestions of sources for cases for the Droid X ?

3 --FYI - Battery life
    I noticed that the Verizon site now offers an extended battery 1840 mAh Lithium Ion (and cover) for the Droid X.

6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Capacitive screens are not really compatible with styli. If you give yourself a little time to adapt, you should manage just fine. I now love not having a stylus.

There are capacitive styli. They come in two flavors. Most, the more inexpensive kind, only allow you to prod, they will not allow you to swipe. This is ok for typing, but nearly useless for anything else. The only one I now of that will swipe as well is the Pogo, but there might be others.

Pogo Stylus

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

It's nice to know that they offer a bigger battery from the get-go. That's a big enticement for me.

8. o3v3tz

o3v3tz Mobile Evangelist

Hook,
    Thanks for the info on the Pogo stylus.
    Despite the fact that I am using Favorites for frequently called phone numbers and am more aware of the predictive choices for completing words, I do still struggle when entering a text reply of more than a few words. I really like the screen of the Droid X, so my solution will be to order the Pogo stylus and have it available as an alternative.

Jen,
    an FYI
    I was in a poor reception area last weekend. Our hosts at the somewhat remote cabin location said that visitors usually have difficulties with their cell phones. However, making phone calls from my Droid X worked fine for me: both parties to the call could clearly hear and understand each other.

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Very true. Note for example the Droid Eris and Droid Incredible is using this very thin 1300mah battery that isn't enough in my experience. Yet the very very slightly thicker 1500mah battery from the Touch Pro 2 or Snap would fit right into these phones and the covers would still snap snugly.

The Galaxy S is a very thin phone but it does use a 1500mah battery which should be the minimum these days for an Android smartphone.

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

o3v3tz, thanks for the very useful information. do you know, by chance, if the hosts' comment covered other VZW phones, too (implying that it is the design of the Droid X that shone)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.